Guess I was wrong, Utah would no way

Nope, I won’t be watching…
I have better things to do than waste my time watching a useless bowl game.

Truth be told, I would think a lot of players feel the same way as I do. Not because they don’t want to play, but the insult of ESPN allowing the other conference not to send their champion to the bowl game and Tom not pushing ESPN to get a better team.

Tom has done some things well, I will admit that.

But when it comes to how he allows an inept DC to keep his job when everyone with a brain can tell his defense play calling sucks (struggles again Georgia State as an example) is beyond me.

Then why in the world would Tom accept to play in the independence bowl? I thought ESPN had our backs (at least according to BYU and their fans).

Most fans are upset that Utah leaped frog BYU in the CFP rankings, I can see that Utah made the case by beating an overhyped ranked Oregon team twice to leap over us… Well, kind of anyways.

What I can not understand is how Pitt leaped frog us? They beat a very weak Wake Forest team. We beat Utah, USU and Arizona State which were all ranked teams this year… Make no sense to me.

But then when you added the comment about the Iowa AD, that makes a lot of sense.

Ohhhhh, this game is a big insult to BYU. BUt BYU signed the Indy bowl to protect us from having a average year when nobody wants us in a bowl…now that we are NY6 good, everyone would want us but we are still locked in to this crappy bowl, playing a crappy team.

The reality check is simpley, Nobody cares about BYU, They are INDEPENDENT. I am certain Tom Holmoe has been burning up the phones, UTSA would of been decent and gotten high ratings but UBA, barf! who would watch that.

Well, I’ll be watching. That’s what fans do. And, on any given day… We’ve lost games we should have won (Boise)

One of my household jobs is to clean the toilets (3) on Saturday mornings. I have very little interest in getting an up-close and personal view of a fourth toilet bowl Saturday afternoon. :grin:

1 Like

Hahahah, made my day. Gooooo toilet bowl

Olympic skating, Dance, and now you can add College Football to that list. A committee decides based on the eye test. precious.!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Classic message. Well played, Arkie.

fish: . . . A committee decides based . . ."
Me: fish, did you mean based or biased?

1 Like

LOL------ Love it!

This situation is only going to be cleared up with other schools in your own league standing up for you and making the injustice known in the media. BYU has a pretty good team this year but we better be careful because this is exactly the type of bowl game that will jump up and bite BYU. Let’s hope the team can concentrate and pull out a win. A convincing one will probably get us a top 10 finish. If we lose, all of our complaining will look foolish.

Can’t wait to get in the B12!

That’s why it’s a big game. It sets up next year.
On another note, Women’s soccer lost in the championship game to FSU. 0-0 and went to a shootout

BYU will be heavily favorited, but let’s remember two things: 1) our prevent defense allows the other team to have the ball for long stretches, and it’s tough to score a lot without the ball, which is why we are 4-7 against the spread this year. In other words this team almost always underperforms, which could make this game closer than we want. 2) Allgeier May—and IMO should— sit this one out. Every year more and more draft picks skip the bowl games, including NY6 and even playoff games. The NFL is the ticket for Algeier and for his family. I’d hate to see him get injured in what is a completely meaningless game. If he doesn’t play it makes it a little more dicey.

It looked to me like McChesney is healthy in the USC game. He ran through tackles with power. But, our passing attack will overwhelm UAB.
UAB’s offense is a running attack and pretty good as well. Defense can handle that.
Seemed like Allgeirs was wanting to play one more game. I think players not willing to play out their contract is as bad as coaches not doing the same and bolting to another school before the end of the bowl games.

A few points:

1. Gary Barta was the AD at Wyoming for several years during the MWC years and made no secret of his dislike for BYU back then. He made what I thought were unprofessional comments about BYU in the press multiple times. I always thought it odd that an AD in the MWC would make such comments about a conference member that essentially devalued the conference in the media. He didn’t like the RM thing for one. I’m not at all sure that his anti BYUism goes away when we join the Big 12.

2. It would have surprised me greatly if Utah had not leapfrogged us, both because of Barta and because of the general P5 cabal wanting to keep the money.

3. UTSA made the decision to dodge us. Under the terms of their conference’s agreement with the bowl games, the champion can choose which of the conference’s bowl games they want to go to. They didn’t want to play a ranked team, apparently.

4. As a lawyer, I do not see any benefit from or real chance for success suing over this bowl assignment or even the Bowl process in general. There is no contractual right to an at large berth in a NY6 or to any particular ranking. It’s all discretionary. There is no cause of action for an unfair discretionary decision absent proof of discriminatory animus against a protected class under the Civil Rights Act, which is far harder to prove than most people think, and the only possible “protected class” would be based on religion (football independence is NOT a protected class). Even Gary Barta’s direct anti BYU comments would not qualify as proof of religious bias since they focused on things like perceived competitive advantages and administrative relationship issues. Proving animus against ESPN after all that relationship has done for us while wandering in the independence wilderness would be impossible. The only possible cause of action might be in antitrust, but that kind of litigation is horrendously expensive and lengthy, is based on very complex legal issues (including statutory exemptions for some possible defendents) and proof issues, and involves a lot of risk. No, a lawsuit is something the BoT wouldn’t do in the first place, couldn’t win in the second and third, it would destroy virtually ALL of BYU’s relationships in the world of sports and media forever (and negatively influence the Church’s public image). Won’t and shouldn’t happen.

5. Tom Holmoe is the AD of the century for what he’s pulled off the last several years and has absolutely no power or leverage to change our bowl fate (except by getting us into a P5 Conference . . . Oh, wait. . . He already did! )

The bowl matchup is bad, but let’s be realistic. It is what it is. And let’s support our team. They have had a great year and deserve our support, even in the Toilet Bowl (which is all any of us expected at the beginning of the season anyway!) Go Cougs!

1 Like

Yeah, I guess. I will have cleaned 3 toilets but do not have to clean the fourth on the 18th, only watch it - if I do.

The antitrust issue isn’t that far fetched. I’ve heard Congress persons discussing this. Maybe it’s time since the NCAA won’t go to a more equitable format like a 12 team format.

As I said earlier in this thread about our friend from Wyoming/Iowa:

Is Gary Berta a bigot? Probably. Is he an a$$hole, probably. Is either relevant here? Nope.

As a fellow lawyer, I agree on all your points. Especially about Holmoe and the reality that being Indy means you play in the Toilet Bowl, and that’s part of the death by a thousand cuts that is independence.

Great points

Tom Holmoe did all he could. When he asked about other options besides our contractual bowl game he was told that all the other bowl games were already locked in with conference affiliation. And that is that