Here comes the defense!

4th qtr with two big turnovers were huge.

Yep. Turnovers is the key again

Poor Broncoā€¦ time for him to take over the defense and let someone else be the head coach.

This Virginia team cannot tackle.

Well look like we got a win tonight. Trick or treat and BYU got to tweat. What a spooky night good night

We outscored them. Like the glory days of old

When Tui deserves derision it is warranted. When Tui deserves kudos they are warranted. Kudos to the D for the second half.

I watched the taped game last night (probably a mistake since I did not go to bed until 2 am).

A few thoughts:

1. BYU offense looked pretty good for the most part, still some mistakes, but I thought they did a good job.
  2. Defensive open tackling is still lacking, even LB Drew Jensen (1 int in the game) mentioned that is something the defensive backs and line backers need more work on.
  3. I was a bit surprised to see the defense play a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. But in the 2nd qtr, They got smoked because of the lack of open field tackling.
  4. The targeting call on BYU is wrong in my opinion. If you watch the replay, Virginia player first juked right then came left. Players are taught to put their heads on the front of the body and make contact with the shoulder which is exactly what our player did. Unfortunately, the Virginia player also ducked his head which made the helmet to helmet contact. I wish the NCAA would clear up this rule once and for all. It is too vague and open to different interpretations.
  5. As an Official I can say with 100 percent certainty that PIā€™s are the hardest to call. Because a defensive player can make contact with the offensive players in certain scenarioā€™s. If you donā€™t believe google ā€œPass interference ruleā€ and read the entire section on the rule. With all that said, The PI on Willis for BYU was bogus, If you watch the replay, it was actually the receiver who wrapped up Willis arm. But these same officials on the next BYU possession missed the same PI call on Virginia three times that I saw.
  6. Our DC deserves credit for making big adjustments in the second half, where Virginia only scored once in the second half.
1 Like

Sitaki took over the defensive room at half time. He didnā€™t even bother with the offense. Donā€™t give Tui any credit. All Sitaki play calling in the second half.

The D went back to the 3-8 in the second half. No pressure on the QB. And only gave up one touchdown and a couple of turnovers. So far you and one other person who dislikes Tuiaki have said he made the difference by his adjustments at half time. Will any others who said BYU would be 6-6 or 5-7 at the end of the year with Tuiaki?

The tackling was just part of the issue. Positioning and reacting was abysmal in the 2nd quarter. The size and strength of UVs receivers was having an effect as well. But, I believe thatā€™s because of the inexperience of the 2nd and 3rd stringers we have to play because of injuries. And yet we are 7-2

Not what Sitaki said at all. He gave all the praise to Tuiaki. Is Sitaki a liar? Whatā€™s your problem with this hatred towards Tuiaki and Sitaki? Go to your room.

No hatred towards either. I just know a terrible DC when I see him game plan and call all the plays in the first half and BYU gets steam rolled. Sitake had the defensive play relayers by him the entire second half. He was on the head set with the booth and at time outs it was Sitake doing the talking not Tui. Of course Sitake is covering for his cousin because the fans were starting to boo in the first half and people were ready for some changes to be made. Sitaki always saves his buddy.

On the post-game show someone mentioned that they brought off the bench DBs who hadnā€™t played or played much. Itā€™s like they had the missing energy to stay with receivers. We went back to the so-called failed 3-8 defense but it worked. Of course, being honest, itā€™s worked all year except maybe Baylor. We lost the Boise game due to fumbles deep inside our own territory and the only reason they scored more touchdowns.
The 3-8 defense may look boring with no pressure on the QB but we are 7-2. And, if my memory is correct, those who are bored said we would be -5-7 or 6-6 this year. Iā€™m not sure why 7-2 is boring.

THawk: one of the things that makes Kalani so popular and likeable is that he never takes the credit and always takes the blame. He saw the very same first half meltdown that we saw. He saw a defense that was panicked and a DC who had no answers and couldnā€™t adjust on the fly. What I heard in game from the BYU sideline was that Kalani took over in the second half. Finally.

The play by Lopa was one of the biggest hits you will see all season. It was 10000% the turning point in the game and had nothing to do with coaching. Just one guy making a huge play and fortunately the ball bounced our way when it was on the ground. Iā€™m happy for Lopa because he has had a lot of injuries in his career and yet stayed loyal to the program and I think he deserves all praise for his play.

1 Like

Sitaki said otherwise. He said it was all Tuiaki. So, stop with the rumormongering.

Scott, have you ever heard the term ā€œcoach speakā€?

Tom clearly stated it in a different way in his post. Kalani will always praise his coaches in the press.

BTW, Kalani said the defensive scheme idea was iutaki idea, NOT that he coached the second half.

the difference in play between the halfā€™s shows to me some coaching duties changed.

as for the replacement dbā€™s your partially right. the safeties were 3rd stringers, but you are wrong in that they did not have experience playing on the field. They had experience because we rotate players in and out during the games.

Sharon Willis has played both corner and safety through the year as an example of having experience but not a starter at safety.

1 Like

so Tom is rumor monger when he says he heard off the sideline something, based on the fact Tom has contacts high in the AD office.

And yet talking heads on th post game says something and you take it as gospel.

talk about double standards

1 Like

The funny thing about your argument is that if Tui was the man in charge ā€¦ā€¦ how do you explain 42 points and almost 550 yards in total offense in just one half?? That alone is a fire worthy performance. Seriously, even talking about any worthwhile defensive performance in this game is laughable. We are just lucky VA was worse. The only bright spot is that we didnā€™t give the big points in the second half. But that doesnā€™t excuse a total embarrassment in the first half. Texas was embarrassed by BYU years ago and they fired their DC on the way home on the plane. Tui needs to be let go just based on the first half alone!

Any defensive coach who allows 42 points and 5 TDā€™s on 5 straight drives in one half ā€¦ā€¦ with none of the drives lasting longer than 2 minutes needs to be fired!

No Floyd! Sitaki himself praised Tuiaki! Pay attention.

Your reading comprehension is as bad as Floyd. How to you account for that? I wrote that at halftime, Tuiaki made ALL the changes according from the mouth of Sitaki. Not some rumormonger from the sideline that hates both too. What is your problem with them?