Here comes the defense!

again, “coach speak” to the media.
Kind of like the AD giving a “vote of confidence” right before they fire them.

1 Like

You’re great Floyd!!!HAHAHAHA!!!:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::rofl:

If I were Sitaki I wouldn’t give any time in a presser talking about how great a defense is when they gave up 49 points. Makes Sitaki look goofy!

1 Like

You keep misstating Sitaki. He didn’t give credit to Tuiaki for the first half. Everyone else understands that Sitaki’s reference was specific to the adjustments made at halftime which led to shutting down UV’s offense. The game is 4 quarters with two separate halves. And, Tuiaki was responsible for the adjustments which allowed BYU to have the ball more and win the game. Certainly not a boring game either.

Tui was solely responsible for giving up 49 points by halftime. BYU wouldn’t have had to score 66 points to win a game if Tui knew how to coach a defense. Do you think any top 10 team in this country wouldn’t make a change to their DC after 49 points and 500 yds were put on their team in one half? Actually 42 points were put on BYU and Tui in one quarter. He is terrible. No head coach worth their salt wouldn’t go take over the D in the second half. No head coach at a P5 program would listen to a “new idea” presented by their DC at halftime and decide that DC is a genius and allow the same coach who just gave up 35 points in the 2nd quarter …… to come out in the second half and run the D without intervention and over-sight from the head coach! Delusional!

Only you would believe that Sitake didn’t take over the D and then try to save the hide of Tui by trying to give him credit for the 2nd half …… without blaming him for the disaster of the first half!

First correction is UV scored 35 points in the 2nd quarter, not 42. So, 42 points in one half. Good thing BYU scored 38 in the half. In the 2nd half, Adjustments were made and BYU scored 28 points and held UV to 7 measly points. Sitaki’s comments of praise for Tuiaki was for the adjustments Tuiaki made. Sitaki was clear about this. Only a narcissist would demand all to believe Sitaki was lying and anyone who would believe Sitaki is stupid.
The question is still, “Why?” Why call out Sitaki using hearsay comments from people on the sideline? You have zero proof.
Now, it’s within your right to express your opinion. But, no one has to agree, right?
I would certainly like to see the adjustments happen faster during the game. That may be something Tuiaki doesn’t do well. But, with the past 2 seasons where BYU is 19 - 3, 7-2 against a difficult schedule playing 6 P5 opponents and being 5-1, I would stick with what is happening. Unless someone becomes available who would be a lot better, stick with what’s winning. BYU is #17 and I think they will be #15 on Tuesday.
So, you must have someone you want as the DC. Who is it?

I made a comment last week that BYU had to score nearly every time they had the ball and they did score on all but 3 possessions. They had two punts and one missed field goal. They forced 3 punts and 3 turnovers and that was enough. The game went how I hoped it would since I was sure BYU would give up a lot points and yards.

Bottom line it was a real good win over a
power five team with a good record from a good conference. I am happy and let’s hope for 4 more wins. I think that would make 2021 a special season. The next two games should be breathers with a bye week on 11/13 thrown in so maybe most of the injured players will be ready for USC.

1 Like

I’m not sure we should relax for the next two games. Although, I think many starters will rest against Idaho St. We should be okay. GSU we need to play hard to prepare for USC.

How do you know this? If it is true, that’s sad. If it is not true then it shouldn’t be said. Did someone tell you this? Did you see it during the game? for sure?

He said that someone on the sideline told him. Just more hearsay to get people angry with both Sataki and Tuiaki. Thawk must have a friend he wants in there as DC.

Maybe so but this comment is hearsay as well. I asked a legitimate question without making an assumption that has no merit. You could try it sometime, it’s called being nice.

I like what Aro had to say. BYU beat a P5 team with a good record. It was what has become the typical BYU win… grinding it out (albeit with lots of scoring) and winning a close game when they could have easily won bigger and better. Regardless, BYU is 7-2 and ultimately all that matters is the record… in this case it is pretty good.

Hopper, where did I say that someone on the sideline told me anything? Correction noted on the score. 42 total points at half for UVA, not in the second quarter. 49 points over all is a terrible defensive showing.

As for where Sitake spent his time at half …. Which was 100% with the defense. I was told by an offensive coach. Floyd is absolutely right about coach speak. No head coach in their right mind wouldn’t focus on his defense that just gave up 42 points and had 5 scoring drives …. None of which took more than 2 minutes in the 2nd quarter alone. Only Hopper believes that Sitake heard an explanation from Tui about what Tui wanted to change (evidently Tui didn’t want to make the change in the 2nd quarter for some unknown reason) so Sitake said go for it!?!

Of course Sitaki didn’t give credit to Tui for the first half. There was no credit to give. He also didn’t give Tui the blame for the first half, which would have been accurate …… while saying we made changes at halftime etc.

Well, you are right. It was Tlarimer that said it. Sorry. Sitaki said it was all Tuiaki in an interview after the game. Look it up.

Ok, I am wrong. Actually i love our scheme. After watching BYU’s offense play nearly a perfect game, I am SOOO happy that we haven’t been able to see the BYU offense more this year—simply too fun to watch every week. If we didn’t allow so many 6 or 8 minute drives, we’d have to watch Puka more. Imagine that. And I have never been prouder of or more impressed by the scheme of BYU’s defense than I was watching BYU allow 35 points and 350 yards of offense in a single quarter. Ingenious. It was clearly intentional and designed to lull UVA into complacency. Additionally, we are very lucky that BYU blitzed ZERO times while allowing that demolition, because clearly blitzing would have not even possibly disrupted the UVA passing game, but instead resulted in somehow UVA scoring 42 or 49 or maybe even 63 in that quarter alone. Wow we dodged a bullet there.

Oh, and Allgeier is A BOSS. Wow.

2 Likes

I have another take on this. What right is it for any assistant coach to leak what is said in the locker room without Sitaki’s permission? That coach should be looking for picking work in some cabbage farm out in McFarland. And coaches should be threatened with discipline or firing for talking further with you. You reminds me of the mutiny in the movie “Facing the Giants.” Don’t be surprised to see some tightening of what the coaches will say on there own. And maybe you will get snubbed. And if you have a job at BYU that may be in jeopardy.

This leaking that goes against Sitaki’s words and decisions is very bad. Why do you see that it’s your purpose to spread rumors like this? Let Sitaki reveal it if it’s true. Why is it that you feel a life’s mission to separate a man from his paycheck? We won the game. The defense adjusted at halftime. We are
7-2. Fans may not like the way the defense normally holds teams under 24 points. But this demand for firing. Leaking locker room talk.

So you do not believe in the Constitution? You know the “First Amendment”? As long as the coach is talking privately and not to the public as a representative of BYU, I have no problem with that. After all we are in a freedom of speech country.

I had a good friend on the BYU team as a player during Bronco era, he mentioned to me that the O-line coach did not always start the best players, but those he “liked”. My friend was a 2 yr started and during that time, he was never responsible for a QB sack during those two years (according to the stats that the coaches gave him).

I talk about it now because he has graduated and making his life in another part of the country. So there is no blow back on him. I know that there was a poster awhile back that had some very solid contacts in the AD office (sorry can’t remember who it was). Thawk has the right to say what he was told by whoever it was. There is nothing wrong with it because again, do we live in a free country or do we live in dictatorship?

But the bottom line is this “Kalani” is wrong when it comes to his cousin the DC.
Drop 8 does not win games, our offense is what winning the games.
How can Kalani say his defense works when the following NCAA stats says different?

BYU has the following Defensive Rankings:
#72 - Total Defense
#69 - Red Zone Defense
#63 Rush Defense
#87- Tackle for Loss
#113 - 3rd down stops

Kalani Stiake is very loyal to his staff. He takes the blame when things goes bad, he points to and praises others when things goes right. Nothing wrong with that in my book, but he also needs to let his coaches take the heat for their decisions.

We use to have a coach like the one that you are talking about. His name was Crowton and how did that work out for us?

Love your posts Tom… LOL
But as I said in another post, how can Kalani think his defense is “good” when they have the following stats:
#72 - Total Defense
#69 - Red Zone Defense
#63 Rush Defense
#87- Tackle for Loss
#113 - 3rd down stops

You are tripping with this post. Whatever credibility you had previously, you lost about 90% of it with this post. You ought to review the post and rethink it. Remember this is a FAN website, not a love every single thing that comes from BYU. I think there are times when you make some valid points but this post kind of whitewashes them over.