Hmmm. Utah Basketball drops BYU from schedule

Payback for the Emery punch, or do they think their talent won’t be as good as BYU’s next year?

1 Like

why not both? Coach K at the U has never liked playing against BYU either if you’d like a third reason.

Must be church ball they don’t like. Bunch of utards at the Hill!

Krysto claims risk of “serious injury?” :smile: :joy: :joy: Sorry, I can’t stop laughing. What a complete tool. That is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. I wouldn’t mind if he said the truth, which is, “I hate BYU. I hate their coach. I hate their players. My boss hates them too. So I don’t want to ever play them again.” I would be fine for that. But he sounds like an idiot alluding to Emery’s little grazing slap and his guy diving to the ground like he’d been shot and calling it a “risk of serious injury.” Oh. My. youknowwhat. :joy:

Kyrs. just dropped about a million levels of respect. What a baby.

Way to show your class

Yeah… what a baby.

I think he’s feeling some frustration after this past weekend in NorCal… choking away a game to Stanford and then getting a beatdown from Cal. Maybe he is trying to change some of the focus off this onto the BYU thing.?

I think the other aspect of it is that he may be contemplating the possibility that BYU is going to get a lot better in the very near future… as in next year.

Too bad… Utah taxpayers, many of whom would like to see the game, will now foot the bill for this decision. Once again, no accountability on the part of those who decide how to use public funds.

Maybe Max Hall should teach him how to use those words “I Hate BYU”. Which would make sense. Maybe he had a vision coming from Rick M hot temper.

I was thinking the same thing. $80,000 fine, who is paying this, Coach K - nope, Dr. Hill - nope, UoU - think again, state of Utah tax payer - yup!
Again, I thought maybe this is the trend since they lost those Bay Area Pac 2 and more to come losing some more.

I am sick of the whole Utah attitude. In 2010 Marshall Henderson hits Jackson Emery and no national news coverage that I remember, no big outrage, and no call to cancel the rivalry. Of course it couldn’t be cancelled at the time because both teams were in the same conference but nevertheless the whole thing didn’t get much airplay as best as I recall, at least nothing in comparison to this year’s incident. The Henderson hit was about the same magnitude as Nick Emery’s hit on Taylor. It was not a big deal. I thought he was a punk but I didn’t feel any great outrage over it. A guy losing his head in the heat of a rivalry game is a regular occurrence. It is something that should be appropriately punished and in both cases it was. Henderson was ejected and that was that, end of story. I don’t recall if he was suspended a game or not and I never gave it a thought. We owned Utah at the time and right now they own us but some of Ute fans wanted Emery booted for several games or the entire season. Watch the film of Henderson and Jackson Emery on Youtube. It was very similar incident to the Nick Emery/Taylor incident which got national press. There is a double standard. BYU better turn the other cheek or they are the dirtiest program in the country according to some Ute fans. Taylor is just as big a punk as Henderson. He hit Haws in the groin last year, scratched Nick Emery this year. I guess he is a spotless little Cherub in the eyes of Krystkowiak. Taylor will be gone next year anyway but I am sure there are other fragile little Ute papooses who might get hurt by one of those evil, rough, tough Cougars. Kystkowiak is just protecting his little babes I guess I shouldn’t blame him.

The fact is Utah will lose Loveridge and Taylor to graduation and It is almost certain Poetl will leave early for the NBA. BYU gets three top 100 recruits, Dastrup, Haws, and MIka, back from Missions. They add another highly recruited freshman in Childs, Emery will have a year under his belt. Bryant will be eligible to play, and the game would have been in Provo, but I am sure none of that had any bearing on the cancellation of the game. Coach little special K just wanted to protect his little angels and, probably, in his most altruistic heart of hearts he wanted to protect our big bullies as well.

My real wish is that BYU could get its own power 5 conference deal and then if the Utes want to cancel all future rivalry games good riddance. Let them be the ones to cancel and then tell them don’t let the door hit you in the behind on your way out. If we had our own conference deal and never had to play them then the obnoxious Ute fans could be ignored and viewed with the indifference they deserve. George Bernard Shaw once said, “The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that’s the essence of inhumanity.” Many Ute fans in their feigned superiority can’t even be indifferent to us because hating us matters too much to them. They don’t want to play us but only because they get a false sense of superiority out of refusing to play us and then they can claim we are irrelevant day after day and minute after minute every time a BYU article appears in the newspaper.

That felt really good to write that. It was a catharsis for me. I am just fine with the cancellation of the game as long as BYU can get an equivalent opponent to come to the Marriott Center.

2 Likes

Why do BYU fans always do this? the name calling, the lack of respect… It is the reason people dislike BYU …

Do you actually know what Larry K feels about BYU? NO!, you do not know the whole reason why he wanted to cool the series down… I have heard that some of the fans from both sides are taking the rivalry to whole new level of animosity. Where there it is going over the line… Just rumors I have heard, but maybe fans need to dial back the rhetoric out of their mouths (posts)
If you think it was a “glancing blow” then you are not even close to reality. It was a low blow closed fisted punch…

I went back and watched the game, because in my experience I have found that when things like this happens it tends up being caused by inconsistent calls by the officials.

PAC12 officials are famous for being homers… and sure enough, the Y was getting some pretty ticky tack fouls called against them, why the U was allowed to foul without being called for it…

That is what in my opinion led Emery to do what he did… HE WAS STILL WRONG FOR DOING IT! but I understand why he lost it… It does not make Emery a dirty player, but he needs to learn to control the frustration better.

Emery was wrong but what he did was no worse than what Henderson did several years ago. I am not excusing Emery but there was nowhere nearly the outrage over Henderson’s actions when he hit Jackson Emery. You can read my post above. In fact Rose and Jackson Emery reacted very charitably saying it was something that happened in the heat of the moment and they moved on. Utah fans don’t move on. If you read the comments sections of the Salt Lake sport’s pages their current mantra is that BYU is the dirtiest team in the country in football and basketball. The BYU reaction over Henderson was a far cry from Utah’s reaction to Nick Emery’s punch to Taylor and that is what is being used as an excuse to cancel the game next year and probably for the foreseeable future.

BYU has it share of obnoxious fans and there is a degree of self righteousness but nowhere near the hate and obsession Utah fans have toward BYU. There is no equivalence.

OR Coach K…

Dude… It depends on who you talk to about who has the most obnoxious fans…

I have seen personally some pretty bad behavior by BYU fans (granted they were students) that was far worse than what I have seen Utah fans do…

I have gone to BYU/Utah games dressed in blue and surrounded by a sea of red and had fun banter but never a problem over all… get near the student section a whole different thing…

This is how the DesNews describes the vicious, rivalry ending punch: “The blow appeared glancing and did no serious damage.” I live in Oregon. Every BYU fan I know wants to play Utah in every sport. Cancelling a game and giving that pathetic little baby justification is ridiculous and makes Krysto look like a fool. Of course he hates BYU, which is ok, but cancelling a game he knows he will likely lose in a 100 year rivalry makes him look like the fool of the century.

U of U has a short memory—Cory Butler-Byrd got EJECTED from the Vegas bowl for two personal fouls. I think that we better cancel the football game next year and say it’s due to risk of serious injury :joy: :joy: This whole cancellation thing is actually one of the funniest things I’ve seen in sports in a long time. It’s so pathetic and sophomoric that it’s simply hilarious. The media is flamethrowing Utah about it, with good reason.

Sorry Tom… I can not find that comment anywhere by the Desnews … Sorry… Edited, I found it in the Rock article… well Rock is known as homer and most of what he writes I put in the same category as Monson…

Here is the actual film by Desnews : http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865642926/Morning-links-Fans-former-players-react-to-The-Punch-from-the-BYU-Utah-basketball-game.html?pg=all

Please tell me how that is “Glancing”? Might not have done damage, but it was DIFFINTELY a “PUNCH” to the gut…

I do agree with the Cancelling of the game over the punch is stupid… They have Vranes (Chessman), Taylor (Haws) and Henderson(Emery) punching BYU players and we have Mika(???) and Emery (Jackson)… So it not a one sided affair…

What makes me laugh is Coach K was actually an enforcer both in college and the NBA… so for him to cancel the game on this premise is bit funny…

Tom,
I think what most people are focused on is the “Series” of dirty plays…

1. Miami bowl brawl - Naccua sucker punch
  2. LB ejected for Targeting
  3. USU game where the O-line is shown punching in the groin this year
  4. BYU Langi “Appears” to be punching the player not the ball…
  5. Emery sucker punch…

All in the past 12 months or so…

But like you said Utah has had their fair share of “dirty” plays as well…

amazing how people focus on things and generalize it for the whole…

Good post–thank you. I hate losing a rivalry game but the way it’s played out now makes K and Hill look like jokers. Rose is steamed because he wants to beat his rival in Provo. Special K is steamed because he hates BYU and doesn’t want to lose to his rival in Provo. No one is taking Krysto’s lame “injury risk” comments seriously, which probably makes him even madder. Sports is a form of combat and always will have fights, cheap shots, dives, along with true valor and acts of selfless courage. That’s why we all love sports so much. Sounds like Krysto stormed into Hill’s office the morning after the game screaming about how he hates BYU and never wants to play them again, and Hill was dumb enough to go along with it. I admire Rose for taking those guys to task in the media with his comments about this being the first time he’d ever seen a true contract breach in his coaching career.

There is got to be another issue that is not being reported… because to me cancelling the game over the emery issue is a bit lame…