Hmmm. Utah Basketball drops BYU from schedule

Interesting that there has been no comment from Gavenman in this thread. He must be waiting for more posts so he can disagree with the general consensus again… :relaxed:

Perhaps the whole thing is just more fallout from the rest of what we see on college campuses… its’ popular to be a pansy and whine about everything. So there you have the utes…

I agree with Aro… and it’s nonsense to cancel a series like this particularly for the reasons Krystkowhack gave. It’s like Duke cancelling with UNC… just stupid.

Just when I was starting to gain a measure of respect for Special K, he flushes it down the crapper…

1 Like

BYU will come out of this looking better and Utah will look petty and childish. Who cancels rivalry games? Nobody. Particularly those that involve public schools, because rivalry games in FB and BB always generate WAY more ancillary revenue than do other games. I’m pretty shocked the Utah Admin went along with it, because next time they whine to the legislature for $ or tell students they are raising tuition, people will remember that they walked away from probably a couple hundred grand for this game. Even though it’s chump change in the big picture, people remember.

You guys probably already saw this, but it’s how everyone in the media will react:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/utah-s-decision-to-halt-byu-series-is-a-massive-overreaction-014039707.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=fb

Great pic! It speaks volumes…

Floyd, in here, people are mind readers and know the hearts and minds of anyone they choose to condemn. KC and CF are selfish just because…
I happen to think coach K is full of horse manure. What his motivation isn’t part of who he is, a former hatchet man player with Bill Lambier. I think the NCAA should step in and make Utah keep their commitment.

Actually none of the significant majority of us who WATCH basketball can read a person’s mind nor do we know their hearts. In fact, you don’t need to be able to do either of those things to comment on the things you see when watching a game. When you have either watched, played, reffed, coached or whatever you’ve done as a fan of the game for nearly 50 years (yeah, since I was about age 2 or 3) you can kind of tell what is happening during a game. Well… at least most of us can. Being selfish is not something you can determine about a person by reading their mind… it is just about watching their actions. Whether Rose is telling them to do it or they are doing it on their own, it is what it is and nothing you say can change it.

So being obedient equals selfishness. Like I said, nothing on the court indicates either do what they do because of being selfish. They are simply performing the roles set by the coach. They play hard and do their very best. Nothing selfish that I see during the game.

Maybe coach K is more worried that if he sees something like that Emery punch again, he’ll be out on the floor throwing punches himself… :wink:

Excellent post Reed!

There seems to be a lot that you don’t see during a game… :hushed:

I can give examples but it is only for those who know what I am talking about and that doesn’t seem to include you.

Several games ago, not sure who they were playing, Fischer found himself under the basket and double teamed by two taller players with nowhere to go. Davis comes breaking to the basket on the opposite side of the rim and he is wide open. Fischer looks at him but for some reason (must have been Rose’s orders) refuses to pass him the ball and instead tries to force a shot, totally out of control. Luckily for him the official called a foul, unlucky for BYU he missed both free throws and it resulted in an empty trip.

There is just one of many examples… didn’t have to read his mind or know his heart… it was obvious what happened.

Nothing but the facts.

Krysto went to Hill on Dec 2nd. Hill agreed that Utah did not want to come to the Marriott and LOSE to a loaded BYU team after Utah lost Leverage, the runt, and Poetle.

Krysto claims that it is because of “worry of Injury to his players”.

When Rose calls him on it and Holme Tweets out , “You have got to be kidding me”, Hill from Utah doubles down and says, “We have to protect our players from those dirty scoundrels down south”

$80,000 must be paid to BYU. There was a “Buy Out” clause put in the contract on purpose by one very smart BYU. thank you very much.

This rivalry has been going on non stop in 1909 (except for the War) and is bigger than any coach or school president…and it will continue well past these two short sighted piss ants.

The Governor of Utah weighed in on it today. The state of Utah wants it, the fans want it. The show must go on.\

Jim Boylan has said that Dr, Hill did not want to continue playing BYU…so maybe Hill is throwing his BB coach under the bus in all this.

So there you have it.

He was surrounded by two big guys on the baseline. You assume he saw Davis. Can you confirm that? No. He then sees an opening to the basket and since he’s trapped and cannot pass the ball safely, he takes it up and gets fouled. It’s amazing how little you actually know and how much you assume.
Missing the foul shots is a problem but has nothing to do with selfishness. :smile:

You don’t even know what I am talking about… just like I said. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I love making a comment and then you doing exactly what I am commenting about… too funny.

Gordon Monson has chimed in on it now…
Larry Krystkowiak and Chris Hill are messing up something bigger than them

Everything Utah does is very calculated. The Emery hit followed by the flop was planned by plenty of little nit picky cheap shots which took place all game to set him up. Rewatch the game and watch what happens between to two players. you will see the truth of it. When it comes down to it, this is a Mormon thing and Krysto hates Mormons. I remember him in college and he was a very physical player. In the NBA also. He is just looking for an excuse and this one will back fire. You watch the board will find a way to match them up in the tournament. Except Utah may not make the tournament. That is what I call justice. They are not as good as they think they are. They loose a lot for next year.
Jeff

They are talking in the legislature that they would pass a bill forcing Utah to play the game…

I will be honest here for a minute… I think the rivalry needs to have a cooling down period, not because of perceived danger of injury, but because fans from both sides acts like total lunatics about the rivalry…
Granted MOST if not all of the issues are coming from the students of both schools, while us grandpa’s tend to look at it as a source of fun banter with our U’s counterparts, some students have taken it to whole nasty level (Remember Hall wife’s incident and K Whitt wife incident at BYU (yes, this was reported to the police and investigate with charges filed))? both were brought on by students of the schools…

What I would like to see if both Presidents in a joint letter to the students tell them to clean up their acts or there will be no fans at the game…

I remember years ago when Chase Petersen was President at the U and I was taking some classes up there. They had a game where drunk fans (not sure if it was students or not) got into a fight and broken bottles were involved. President Petersen in an open letter to the student newspaper said “If this type of action happens again, there will be no fans allowed at the games” and he meant it… The sale of beer was prohibited and they checked from that day on for alcohol being brought in.

This is a “GAME” nothing more nothing less… people take this whole thing way to serious…

I despise the whole “Holy War” moniker. I find it immature, irreverent, and insulting to everyone. It is fun for the news media but I don’t like it. Wish it would go away.

I think we need leadership more than a cooling off period. Coaches, ADs, and Presidents could tach and expect better. However, has no one ever seen rivalries outside the Mormon Hinter Lands? They often make the BYU/Utah stuff seem like a pajama party pillow fight. In the big picture this is mostly just news in Utah. Most everyone else doesn’t care (in my opinion) other than the the uniqueness of Utah cutting and running from a rivalry game.

Then there is the whole “BYU fans are the (fill in the blank) ever!” Garbage. Rubbish. Putrescence. Myopic. The same and much worse happens most everywhere in stadiums, arenas, bulletin boards, and social media most everywhere in my humble and somewhat well traveled opinion.

Oh, it made big news in the basketball world. ESPN has written 4 articles and counting. Here in Utah, that is all they talk about on the sports radio stations and it is not going away.

Utah got caught in a Lie. This has nothing to do with Emery or bad conduct. It has everything to do with Utah not wanting to play BYU when 4 top 100 rated players are home from missions and Utah loses Leverage, Poetle and their point guard. Hill and Cry-sto-a lot are looking like fools. When you have Monson, a die hard Utard homer, ripping his team day after day, its bad

The last article I read by Monson was when he was positively giddy about Spencer Hadley’s suspension, and I swore I’d never read another word he wrote because I get to talk to enough bitter, mean people at work as it is. But I admit I took a small peek at this article. Heaven save us all, but only something this chicken>>>> and pathetic could make Monson write what he did. Still laughing at it all. People in Oregon just think Utah looks stupid.

After some thought, I realize that BYU does not need Utah as much as everyone in this state says or thinks we do.

Worse case scenario, BYU does not get invited to the big 12…BYU has ESPN and for the record IS seen nationally almost weekly. We continue to be ranked most years and I see nothing to change that in the future.

BYU just landed 5, maybe 6, of the top 10 in state recruits. When has that happens in recent years? (and that is before Sitake was named the new coach). The talent was coming and with the addition of Detmer, I think it will spike up fast.

Outside of Football and BBall, Byu is a Sear’s Cup contender. Utah outside of gymnastics really does not contend for anything. BYU is men’s volleyball, women’s volleyball, Men’s Rugby as well as Track are national powers.

In BBall, BYU will be landing 6 or seven top 100 players with Mica, Emery, TJ Haws, Seljaas, Dahstrup, Childs, Baxter. We have serious athletes who can battle elite teams coming in to the program, Childs and Chatman fall into that category. I wish Kaufusi would transfer to Gonzaga or Duke for a year, then rejoin us after he has been mentored because I think his abilities have been wasted here. But BYU Basketball is in great shape moving forward.
But all in all, I am very happy about the direction BYU is headed and the guys, especially Holmoe, that are in charge here