In - Game Comments

We win the next 5…

I agree with you with everything you said and yes losing to BSU was really bad loss.
I want Baylor Romney back or have Baylor take over in or near the red zone to finish it “TD”!!! But nobody seems to know how his health coming along in terms of concussion protocol.
And another thing, we got many talented receivers are not getting enough attention throw to.

And yes grasshopper we all know what you’re going to say and no need to bring it up again.

The ability is there offensively to keep BYU in most any game. The offense was machine-like against Utah State in the first half and that’s what we need. I won’t criticize either BYU quarterback, But throwing the ball, Romney has been precise. It’s tough for any of us, when the coaching staff is so closed mouth about injuries , but they have their reasons. So you are right, doesn’t do any good to call for a Romney start, when we don’t even know his availability. Both Washington State and Virginia are probably better than BSU, simply because BSU has been hit by so many injuries. The Virginia quarterback is like Bachmeir-if you let him sit in the pocket for 4 or 5 seconds, he will pick you apart-even if you drop 8. Bottom line-defense will be a good place to turn things around

BYU probably has the players to be a team to have 7 wins. I fault the coaching, the offensive coaching a bit but the defensive coaching quite a bit for the 2 losses. But the 2 losses and probably 1 to 2 more are typical for the team over the past 15 years.

Most likely that is accurate and is probably typical of BYU most years

You can read my mind. We just need to have plays for Hall so that teams can’t focus in on Algiers. 6-10 runs per game. And not wait until the 2nd half. Romney can’t run like Hall. And, Romney is susceptible to concussions.

I wonder if the silence about injuries has to do with HIPPA laws.

what started out as a great season HAS turned mediocre.

The thing I lament, year after year, being a BYU fan is that they have great talent and still end up being mediocre. It is once in a blue moon that the talent actually comes together, along with the coaching, and something special happens. This is the year that, with better coaching, BYU had the opportunity to do something special. They failed miserably vs. BSU and that is it. The hopper saying they will win the next 5 in a row is a fantasy from a delusional fan.

Yeh it’s too bad. You can get away with a loss to a Baylor team, but losing to a team with a losing record is a tough recover with more losses probably coming. If BYU ran the table they would probably make the top 25, but with that defense, you’d have better luck in Vegas

The defense has the personnel, they lack the coaching. Posters have been saying this since the beginning of the season and I desperately wanted to dispute it but I can’t any longer. It is true.

Food for thought:
I liked what Grimes was doing as OC for BYU, his moderate to aggressive offense.

When he left to go to Baylor, Kalani had three choices to choose his successor.
Ed Lamb - currently asst. head coach, he was the HC for SUU. During his tenure, he turned the program into a very good team and that contended for the first time in the JUCO playoffs.

Steve Clark - Former OC for both Weber and SUU. During his time at SUU, he helped guide the team (with Lamb) go to the playoffs for the first time ever in program history. At Weber State he helped turn the program around and eventually started winning playoff games

Fesi Sitake - worked with both Clark and Lamb at SUU and helped guide the team to the playoffs. Then went to Weber State, while there as the OC, Weber State became one of the best Juco teams in the country, eventually playing for the championship against James Madison losing to them by a few points.

Aaron Roderick - While at Utah he became the OC for them. His play calling was questionable at best which made the fans upset. Whittingham trying to save his friends job brought in former College coach from both Wyoming and Miami (Erickson) and made them co-cooridanators. Which did not seem to work, because both were gone within in a year.

This my observation and will knowingly admit that it is conjecture and personal opinion.

What I have noticed this year is that the offense is almost into the “Protect” offense, where they start off fast then go to protect offense. Even against poor defenses (Arizona) it seemed our team struggled to win where there we were totally in control.

With a prevent defense and a Protect offense, in my opinion, we simply are seeing the signs that we have some serious issues with how game plans work.

Personally, I think they should have selected Fesi Sitake as OC, because he is a proven winner. Where Roderick has no proven success in his previous OC duties.

I know the easy way for fans is to put all the blame on one group or another. But I thought about this over the weekend and felt that maybe this could be a good talking point for us fans.

So what do you guys think about this?

I’ve been saying that the way we win is to outscore teams as we did back in the late 70’s and 80’s. Get Hall running again. Have Romney ready to go. But stay aggressive on offense. Use TE in the red zone too.

I don’t have any criticism for Roderick. He probably did play calling when Grimes was here. The offense has had injury problems to deal with to their quarterbacks. Romney would have been the right call against BSU-not available. Romney great aggressive first half against Utah State-conservative with Conover the 2nd half. Hall played well against ASU and got the goat off our backs against Utah. Maybe a step back in the OL with departure of Grimes. Better receivers and rb’s than we’ve had in a few years. Wilson played a full year uninjured-No question he would have thrived if he stayed his senior year. I see 98% of the problems being defensive philosophy, even though losing our MLB hurt, the db’s were highly touted coming in. Against BSU, I said you have to pressure Bachmeir-they didn’t and he was accurate. Air Force pressured him in Boise in the second half and he folded, just like he did against Oklahoma State and Nevada. BYU is a good offensive unit with a mediocre minus defense and by playing bend but don’t break, rush 3 -drop 8, we will never know how good they could possibly be. The next couple of games will tell you a lot about how good the coaches are at making adjustments on the fly

The last couple of games already did that. In fact the first few games did that as well. They are not capable of making adjustments. If they were, BYU would have won some of those first games going away. It is time for fans to accept reality… this is another talented BYU team that is underperforming because they play in fear mode… fear of losing, fear of winning too big, fear of whatever… they play in fear mode.

I don’t want to agree with you, but you are probably right😳

Floyd, Weber State isn’t a Juco program.

Interesting comments by most all of you. I will wait until next week to see if the crimson cougars start to give us a trendline. Yep, I am disappointed and perplexed about the lines getting manhandled by Baylor. Usually our skill positions struggle but we have no excuse for our lines getting abused. Maybe it is line coaching but our size is comparable to Baylor’s … but not the physicality. No pass rush = losses for this team. It also equals no run defense which is a slow death for BYU.

I don’t want to agree with him either so I won’t. Fear? Maybe the coaches but not the players.

All that can be commented on and you pick on him for that? Really? :joy:

Rewatch the game and count the number of 3-8 defenses were run. Not many. What isn’t happening is some blitzes.