In - Game Comments

you are probably right, i get confused because of all the name changes.

i keep hearing the excuses of starters not playing in the game.

what does that say about our so called depth?

my comments are based on the fast starts, then the pull on the reins… we’ll at least as i see it.

That is a valid concern. Usually, our lines are big and some of the kids have had 2 extra years to full out. So, that is where the national media usually harps on BYU. We should have size and strength. Skill positions don’t offer the same advantages but we matched up decent in the skill positions on offense. The defense is … well the defense. WSU will show us if Sitaki and Tui have had it out and can get things rolling. The TOP is of major concern to me.

I agree, all 5 wins were concerning. Tuiaki has been a subject of complaint for at least 2 years and probably 3 uears. Sitaki and Tuiaki have no issues with each other or Tuiaki would have been long gone. Sitaki sure tossed Detmer away quickly. I would give the offensive coaching a 70% grade (cannot or will not put away the 5 teams the Y beat) and the defensive coaching a 40% percent grade (letting the last 2 teams put it to the Y after halftime and almost letting the 5 wins get away). Still believe 2 or 3 losses the rest of the way.

I read this article about the Baylor loss and found this comment in it:

Perhaps another valid theory is that the Cougars are just wearing down after seven-straight physical contests. The Cougars played without offensive linemen Joe Tukuafu and Harris LaChance and defensive lineman Lorenzo Fauatea, and it showed.

They were pushed around in the trenches, and some young offensive linemen either whiffed on blocks that allowed Hall to get sacked, or didn’t pick up delayed blitzes.

BYU football: Back-to-back losses have Cougars searching for answers - Deseret News

If that is the case, then I have to put that on coaching…

Yep, coaching. The same reason in the Boise game when the only quarter all year it rained and we fumbled 3 times because the players weren’t prepared or reminded how to protect the ball in the rain. Boise practiced outside the day before in the rain and were ready. It’s all about coaching, not the players. Last year and this year for the wins and the losses.

Come on GH, it rained on BYUs side of the field, not BSUs and there were 25 BYU fumbles, just go back and look at the replay.

There were 25 BYU fumbles??!
Let me try one more time and please read all of the following:
The rain didn’t cause the fumbles. The lack of preparation for the rain by the coaches at BYU caused the fumbles do to the conditions. Boise coaches prepared their players for the rain. BYU did not and BYU had 3 fumbles. The fumbles occurred in the 2nd quarter and only quarter that it rained that day and the other 23 quarters that were played to that game.

Arkie:
I think you are spot on. Including the way they threw Detmer under the bus. You win with QB play and it certainly wasn’t Detmer’s fault he had a QB suffering from extreme, debilitating anxiety. See my comments on the Baylor Post Mortem thread.

1 Like

Anytime a person has to belabor a belief it is indicative of the reality that the belief is misguided and false. At this point, if you really believe it, I would stop defending your belief that the rain caused BYU players to fumble because they weren’t properly prepared and coached on how to not fumble in the rain…

You see, every time you try to explain it, the notion gets more bizarre and hard to believe. Nobody is buying it at this point in time (not like anyone did in the beginning either) so let it go.

No, it’s common to answer questions or straighten misguided and confused statements. That’s what I did. Something you constantly do. But no one else is allowed to. Something we find in the WOK society these days.

Usually I try that with you once or twice and then I move on.

You will not move on from the rain caused the fumble thing. Now it is improper preparation by coaches that caused the players to fumble in the rain.

Should they have done drills with players running the ball and having coaches squirt a hose at them? Run through sprinklers with the ball? What? This is getting ridiculous.

No, it was always the lack of preparation for the rain. It’s the only possible reason for 3 fumbles in the same quarter out of 24 quarters played this season up to that point. What’s ridiculous is trying to change the chronology of the comments I made to win a debate. Pure narcissism.

Oh the irony of this accusation. :rofl:

Please-I was six rows off the field wearing shorts and a long sleeve t and barely got damp. I can’t explain it any better. The rain was a non factor. It Rained more while we were tailgating. Take Grasshopper up on the Oregon coast please and show him what rain is. Algier fumble from a shot in the back as he was going down. Katoa fumbled because he had poor ball control, not because he didn’t get rain 101. This is getting whacko😳

You are in error again-it wasn’t 3 fumbles in the 2nd quarter. Algier and Katoa fumbled in the 2nd quarter and Katoa fumbled in the sunshine of the 3rd quarter-get your facts straight please or get a larger tv😀

It could be that the hopper forgot what rain is… it hasn’t rained more than a drizzle here in the last 5 years or more. We have a serious drought and the longer this state chooses to elect wicked leaders, the more of these kinds of plagues and disasters (fires, earthquakes, etc.) we will have going forward.

In defense of Roderick. Whitt has run through 18 OCs in 20 years. He pilfers the best talent for defense and will never open up the offense. I personally think that most of the blame for BYU’s losses lands on Tuiaki. You just can’t give QBs unlimited time to pick you apart.

The name of the game is to outscore your opponent. This isn’t golf. So, the Boise loss was fumbling away 4 possessions and not scoring. At Baylor, how many times inside the 20-30 did we not score? It’s on the offense. The longer we keep the ball, the less time the opponent has to score.