Is it true? Did I really just hear this?

He did have a temper Chris, I am not saying it is a bad thing, but with the current “missionary” look that BYU is doing these days, I am not sure the trash talking, hot temper Ainge would be able to play today.

Everyone remembers Ainge court to court drive that won the tournament game against ND, what they don’t recall, is that was NOT the play Frank Arnold told them to run. Fred Roberts and Steve Trumbo both commented after the game that Danny came to them and said “give me the ball, I will win this game”.

I am not disparaging Danny, I wished more of our basketball team had his moxie. Maybe then we could be in the tournament on a more consistent basis.

Yes, he was low key. He would study his school work in corners of the Smith Field House to get away from fans.
Ask Larry Bird, LOL!!! You ask him! He was competitive. But, that doesn’t mean he cussed and sweared in the court. Ask Bill Russel as I stated. I wish we had players that were consistently good instead of TJ and others.

You mean like “hero” ball? :slight_smile: the difference between Ainge and players we have today is Ainge was constant with excellent basic skills. He was that member of the Top 5 freshman along with Magic Johnson. He was the “hero” his teammates looked for to take that last shot.
The teams he played with at BYU, they always had the same set play on the tip off. The tip would go to Fred who would pass to an open Ainge after a pick play by the other forward for a quick outside jump shot. He hardly missed.

Did I say he did? NO!

For your reading comprehension, I said A) He had a Temper, Which does not mean he swore on the court, it simply means he became more aggressive. B) I said he was a trash talker, again does not mean he swore, simply means he would try to get under the opponents skin by making comments.

“Ask Larry Bird, LOL!!! You ask him!” Larry made many statements about Ainge temperament on the court and also Trash talking… Even Larry Bird was a trash talker.

Floyd: Note that Ainge’s son plays for Utah State. Perhaps he didn’t want to play at BYU because of the standards and maybe the Rose coaching philosophy. I just want to see BYU win the WCC sometime before I am six feet under.

Ainge’s oldest son Austin played for BYU a few years ago. I think this one is cooper right?

Did you happen to see the article in the Desnews about Ty Detmer? In there he stated that getting into BYU now a days is a lot harder than when he came.

I think the higher test score (ACT) and higher High School GPA requirements are making it harder for some good players coming to BYU. Not sure Cooper is in that group, but I know there were several players BYU football missed out on because of the new Academic Standards.

I know this is Basketball thread, but this applies to both sports, have you noticed how little of Juco players BYU is bringing in now? It all has to do with the new standards.

Crew applied here, we did not take him. Too small and not enough talent to compete with our other recruits. He is smart and will be an asset for USU. Besides, we already have enough skinny white kids on the team.

Just wondering, are all students athletes are require to have high academic scores to attend at BYU just like all non athlete students? Those two 2019 basketball players Li from China and other player from Brazil, are they should have high academic requirement?

Someone need to ask that question to Tom Holmoe some day or during Education Week in August 2019.

If we fans want to know if both Dave Rose and Kalani Sitake are going after better athletes (leaving out student) and not have to worry about if those players need to have high accadmic scores.

Is it true UNC have their athletes take some classes where they don’t have to studay and take test in order to get throught each semester and play sports?