Jordan Chatman transfers

I’m hopeful you will rethink your statement. In my opinion, it wasn’t an issue with recruiting exactly. I believe it is more of an issue with the culture of BYU basketball. I believe they recruited Chatman hard, wasn’t he the player of the year in Washington HS basketball? The guy has legitimate game and I believe he also showed signs of that in what little playing time he got. He was by far the best defender on a team that plays little, if any, defense. I don’t know if it is the complete reason but it seems apparent to me that he saw no future for himself at BYU with regards to opportunity and playing time.

So what exactly is the culture of BYU basketball? It also seems apparent that the “Lone Peak Boys” are the future for the next several years. The buzz surrounding their reunion is probably non-stop in Utah valley. They hired the coach from LP as an assistant for crying out loud. I’ll be totally surprised if Elijah Bryant, Yoeli Childs, Kyle Davis, Payton Dastrup or any other player not from Lone Peak contributes much over the next several years. This notion that somehow BYU is going to a final four under this scenario or within the context of this culture is nonsense. It needs to change, in my opinion, if BYU really hopes to make some noise in the wcc or ncaa tournament.

When the Washington player of the year is leaving the program (he isn’t the only one in the last couple of years) I’m sorry, there is something fishy going on and it stinks. I don’t think he thought he was “one of the guards being counted on”. They had plenty of guards to play for the next several years and now they are scrambling for bench warmers because of “potential injury concerns” or “foul trouble possibilities” to Emery or Haws. That speaks volumes…

[quote=“Harold, post:7, topic:6731”]
The only way I can see anyone going to law school and playing ball full time is to go to law school part time. Not many law schools are set up to allow that. And I have my doubts as to whether the NCAA will allow for it.
There is another post where you said the NCAA doesn’t allow for even part time.

This is as a ridiculous statement as you have ever made. Archive it with all of the other ridiculous, uninformed comments you’ve made in the past.

Yeah, the Washington state high school player of the year is “average”. Just another lame comment you can add to the others. If you had the talent, skills, etc. that he does and saw the writing on the wall, ie. the LP boys reunion in utah valley, what would you do? After all, they won the “high school national championship”, right? That, in itself, is enough to guarantee a run to the final four… they don’t need Chatman and I’m sure he was very aware of that fact. Smart kid… a lot smarter than either one of us at that age.

Rose always has big holes on the BYU basketball roster. What with missions, outstanding students like Chatman, and other issues like the Honor Code, the WCC, you name it. I think being the BYU basketball HC is one of if not the toughest jobs in the country. Chatman is a real exception academically. Lets’ face it Chatman is a real exception academically. Obviously academics is much more important to Jordan Chatman than playing basketball in the rec league WCC.

1 Like

if you bothered to read the NCAA rules you would see that the NCAA does not allow for part time students to be on athletic scholarships/play on the teams.

Their definition of part time is a bit different than most. But is in the realm of reasonable.
Part time students, law or otherwise, are not allowed to play in NCAA events.

For a law student to play bball, he must find a program that allows for flexibility that BYU and most good law schools do not have. If I were Chatman I would be looking at Georgetown, they have an established part time program that is large and has the flexibility to shift classes out of the normal academic year into summer thus meeting the NCAA’s unusual definition of full time while still allowing him to attend law school on a Division 1 scholarship. Of course, I don’t know if Georgetown has a need for him on their bball team, but Coach Thompson does like tough defenders…

Harold: if you bothered to read the NCAA rules you would see that the NCAA does not allow for part time students to be on athletic scholarships/play on the teams

Scott: not my question. Come on, you know what I’m asking about. I’m asking if you are going to continue to say the NCAA doesn’t allow law students to play athletics? That’s what you said.

Am I to understand that you are Scott?

That is not what I am saying though you keep insisting that that is what I am saying. Why you keep insisting that I am saying something about the NCAA and the study of the law when that is not what I am saying is something I do not understand…

Part time students, in law school or not, are not allowed to play in NCAA events. It is not a difficult concept. Chatman will need to find a place with more flexibility than most law schools to fill his dream. Too bad BYU Law is not willing to work with him.

How do you sleep at night? Seriously. You come on here and do your best to offend all of us. You say whatever comes into your head without compassion or empathy and expect us to take anything you say with a grain of reality. What this Cougarfan site needs is a “mean button” where if you put stuff out there that is opinion, meaning unsearched and designed to hurt others…that we can hit it and delete your crap.

Chatman is a great kid from great parents, who served a full time mission, who thought he would be a starter for BYU, who did whatever Coach Rose asked him to, who could see the writing on the wall so he chose to leave.

1 Like

Who said he was part-time at BYU? He wasn’t. But again, you dodge the question.

Blah, blah, blah…he’s just another kid who isn’t willing to work hard enough on his game and wants to go to a team where he can walk in and start. Typical youth of today.

NObody said he was part time at BYU, or law school.
I am not dodging the question. From my perspective you keep focusing on one clause in one statement, (albeit that I have stated more than once to try get you to see the whole statement instead of the one clause), to the exclusion of the point of what I have said and continue to say. I keep trying to explain to you that you are misunderstanding my statement and his situation. But …I suppose I should give up…

For Chatman to attend law school on an NCAA athletic scholarship, he will need to find a law school that has more flexibility than most, that will actually allow him to meet the NCAA full time requirement by taking classes in the summer either before 1L or after 1L. BYU Law is not set up to do that, though a limited number of law schools are.
UNLV, Seattle, Denver, San Diego look like the schools that he would be looking at in the west. Seattle I suspect would work well for him being from western Washington.

Your opinion has been stated quite clearly, and makes perfect sense. Further misunderstanding is either deliberate or caused by sub-par reading skills.

1 Like

It’s deliberate. I’ve been in that boat before and therefore stop after one response.

2 Likes

I’m surprised grasshopper hasn’t responded to me on the things I accused him of. Once again he is playing the role of the lone wolf who mistakenly believes he is the only one who is right or knows what is going on.

He clearly doesn’t.

I’m not claiming that my perspective on what is taking place is the accurate or correct one. I only express my idea and opinion and leave others to decide for themselves. It is obvious that grasshopper has NO CLUE who Chatman is or what he has accomplished to this point in his life. Grasshopper is once again ■■■-UMING he knows what is going on and it always ends up making him look ignorant.

It’s crazy actually…

Actually I would say that Chatman is very atypical of youth today.

You are totally wrong on this one.

In other BYU Cougar basketball news, how about this quote from Kyle Collinsworth - “The biggest thing is just staying in the moment. You travel a lot, and I’m just trying to enjoy each city that I go to, just do fun things, just relax and stay in the moment and not get caught up thinking to the next workout and to the next day and all that stuff. Just try and stay in the moment.”

I sure hope he tries his best to “stay in the moment”. LOL… what a cliche’ :stuck_out_tongue:

Every time I heard it over the last two years I cringed. Sounds like a golfer trying to control his nerves instead of a basketball player eager to dominate…the most important difference between Jimmer/Danny and Kyle if you ask me…

Still waiting from anyone on whether the NCAA can prohibit a law student from playing. a simple no would have ended this. But you guys want to keep the bantering up. I get it. It’s summertime and no football or basketball :slight_smile:

To answer the question of whether it ok for a law student to play bball, read your own post to answer your own question:

Why can’t you just say the NCAA doesn’t prohibit law students from playing sports? Instead, you pivoted to a part-time athlete.