Jordan Chatman transfers

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/basketball/men/byu-men-s-hoops-was-rose-taken-surprise-by-chatman/article_14117af7-c56f-5a5f-afd4-f423fc1515e4.html

I have a sense that this is not over. That Rose and Chatman will petition the Law school to allow Chatman to play…but as of this moment here is what was posted on Chatman’s facebook page.

According to his father, Jeff, BYU Law School wasn’t going to let Jordan play hoops and attend law school, so he would explore his athletic options elsewhere. This according to Jeff Chatman’s Facebook page.

The reason why I say this is not over is… apparently Chatman can play at another school why attending BYU Law but not play for BYU. Makes no sense at all.

You mean Hawks was wrong about how a supposedly conversation would have gone between Rose and Chatman? Hawks is never wrong :wink:

Oh mighty and superior one. I bow to your superior intelligence, reading capability, and online conversation skills.

Nothing to do with reading or intelligence. It’s simple admitting your statement was wrong about the NCAA :slight_smile: the bigger question is whether BYU snobby law department will allow Chatman to play. That seems to be the question.

and where is your contrition for demeaning a fine outstanding man? As you now see, Chatman is a standup guy who was blindsided by a lousy BYU policy.

Do you have the ability to apologize to Chatman? to everyone on this board?

I must continue to bow to your superiority however you choose to define it. Clearly I should not have posted in anything that you would potentially misread–repeatedly, despite my inadequate explanations that others clearly understood. My imbecility is beyond the pale. It is clearly eclipsed by your surpassing superiority…

BYU Law is not snobbing it.
And I didn’t even graduate from that very fine institution.

As I alluded to in my original post, BYU is an ABA approved law school and as such it is required to meet the American Bar Associations requirements. Schools that have gone through the extensive and rigorous process of getting a part time program approved–which BYU has not–have the innate flexibility to allow student athletes to meet the NCAA full time student requirements
Law schools without such approved programs currently do not. As to whether the J. Reuben Clark Law School has sought or could get approval from the ABA, for a single student, I do not know. But for the law school it is not NCAA approval at all. Perhaps that it where my original post confused you?

The law student in the article you sited in the New York Times article could not just attend any law school. He ended up at Seton Hall because they have an ABA approved part time program which gives them, (and as I sited above, Georgetown, Seattle, etc .) the flexibility to have a student be part time during the year as far as the ABA and the law school are concerned, but meet the NCAA definition of full time. Thus a law student could be both part time and full time: part time by ABA definitions, and full time by NCAA definitions.

If my explanation is once again insufficient for your purposes I most humbly beg your forgiveness. Your transcendence must simply be too far above my plebian explanatory powers.

Like Jim should to Rose? And you for your judgments over the years?

Nowhere does it say the Seton Hall player is part-time. He’s full time. If a player can do both they should be allowed to do both. BYU is being snobbish to suggest Chatman can’t be successful in law school if he plays basketball too. This means it was your original post that suggested Chatman and the NCAA were bad apples. And Jim though then Rose was the evil one. Then Fish jumps in to play god :wink:

OK you win.
I most humbly beg your forgiveness. Your transcendence must simply be too far above my plebian explanatory powers
Clearly I should not have posted in anything that you would potentially misread. My imbecility is beyond the pale. It is clearly eclipsed by your surpassing superiority…

Law schools as per ABA requirements do not allow students to have jobs 1L year. An athletic team with a practice schedule as extensive as bball is the equivalent of a part time job. BYU law school is not being snobbish. They are obeying the letter and the spirit of the ABA requirements…
The only way to be in law school 1L year and have a job is to meet the part time definition of the ABA. The only way to meet the NCAA full time requirements then is to have more flexibility than BYU’s law school has.
That is not being snobbish.
It is protecting the law school and the law students.
Or perhaps you missed Sunday School class where they explained that rules (commandments) are for the good of the receiver not the giver?

But undoubtedly you know more about the ABA and 1L and the minds of the administrators at BYU law school than I do.

Missed it, I taught it. Not all laws are from God. So no, not all laws, rules are for the benefit of the receiver. This one is not for everyone. This, the letter of the law is being followed but not necessarily the spirit of the law. Let him play too. It’s a dumb law.

I point out where you invented a outright lie, besmirching an outstanding student/athlete’s character and you call it a judjment?

Be a man

I invented nothing. Be a woman and grow up :slight_smile:

It’s my opinion based on yours, Harold’s and Jim’s and others statements. So chill out. You aren’t the bishop or prophet. Just a fish full of poop! :slight_smile:

At this point hopefully you heard something in the meeting last night that will help you to humble yourself a little more and listen to what others are saying.

If you notice, your “opinions” have changed during the course of this discussion, though I’m guessing you won’t admit it. Unless, of course, you still believe Jordan Chatman is a selfish, wimpy kid that is typical of today’s young people. I would suggest putting a big piece of duct tape over your flapper before making another inane comment about a situation you don’t seem, or care, to understand.

I still think Chatman is aware of the fact that for the next several years, BYU basketball is going to be all about the Lone Peak Boys and therefore doesn’t believe he would have been that involved with the team. This is a big reason he is leaving, in my opinion. The fact that BYU law school does not allow a student to play a ncaa sport, while attending school, has probably been justified by past history or research into the subject. This is only making Chatmans decision to leave the basketball program easier. He is in a tough spot right now. I hope his ultimate decision works out best for him, I really do.

In much the same way, I hope you will change some of the decisions you like to make about situations before you know all the facts and more importantly, the decisions you stick to after having learned the facts. I don’t think you are very capable of changing your opinions… because of pride or ignorance, though I’m not sure which one or both, it is.

So, about facts before flapping ones jaws :scream:
You now see that your comment about Rose is out of line since the culprit is not Rose, not the NCAA and not me. It’s BYU Law Department.
I take a different approach. I think it shouldn’t matter if past law students did poorly because they were in athletics. That’s the students responsibility to exercise their agency.
Well, one thing I learned last night was that if I’m asked to give a talk where the SP is in attendance, not to tell a story about myself where I did something stupid :slight_smile: instead. I’ll find out what you did stupid and tell that story :ghost:

My “comment” about Rose involved nothing more than a possible scenario for what happened. I never said anything negative about Rose. I have always thought he was a good coach. I question the recruiting tactics and the lack of development of players and I cite these as possible reasons for why kids (and there have been more than a few lately) want to leave the program. This is not a personal comment about him though inferences certainly could be made.

It is only my personal opinion about what is going on. Unlike you I am willing to change my opinions if I am given evidence to the contrary. It’s called an admission of misunderstanding and incorrect conclusions. You should try it sometime.

Listen… there is a problem when a player of Chatman’s caliber leaves the program. I just want to know what that problem is so it can be corrected.

Wait a minute! Here is what you just posted:
“If you notice, your “opinions” have changed during the course of this discussion, though I’m guessing you won’t admit it.”
So, what do you mean I’m not willing to change my opinions? Maybe it’s you that isn’t willing :sunglasses:

I think a coach who has a top ten winning percentage among active coaches is probably better than just good.
I think he’s basically following the recruiting path that all but the most successful elite coaches followed. And usually the “elite” coaches did something close to what he’s done to get to be elite.
That said I think if he hadn’t had to deal with the Mormon missionary program he would be recognized as elite already.
The fact that so many players have left recently causes concern, maybe even grave concern. Last year at the beginning of fall camp 4 guards who have now left were on the roster…Ainge, Toolson, Chatman, Calvert. Two of them Chatman and Toolson should have been contributing major minutes this fall if they didn’t start…
One of the all time assist leaders at BYU transferred recently as well…
That said transfers nationwide are up over the last few years…is BYU ahead or behind the curve? for teams that regularly go to the dance? Teams that regularly go dancing tend to have different patterns than the rest of the 350 or so Div 1 bball programs.
This season could be difficult…first so many new players getting used to eachother and playing again after missions and then on the guard line too few players getting too many minutes…then again my predictions are frequently wrong…

Not when I question your answers. Then you hold fast to your opinion :wink:
I think we see year on year out where some players that get a chance to play for a short time never get in the games again. I know from my coaching experience that many coaches decide who is playing based on their efforts in practice. We need to see more players given more time to play early on in the pre season. I want to see Hamson get a chance. You can’t teach 7’2"

The difference is that you never acknowledge the fact. I think everyone here is well aware of the waffling and tap dancing routines you do every time this is pointed out to you. I listen and read for comprehension and understanding. You, on the other hand, try to figure out some way you can twist what somebody writes and change things around to fit your assumptions and perspectives/opinions.

Wow! I just nailed it! :smiley: