Kalani Got Paid

Your perception is full of holes. Using words like “most” or “private capitalist businesses” and then claiming something that has no factual basis doesn’t work. I believe the church is the safest place to give my money to charity but I have no real factual idea where it goes. I don’t know of any “charitable organizations” or “non-profits” that are in that business because they really want to help the less fortunate. Many if not all have highly paid administration, high “overhead costs” and if you look at the bottom line, a very small percentage of contributions actually go directly to helping those they purport to help so they are really nothing more than businesses run under the guise of helping the less fortunate. It is very lucrative, that is why there are so many of them out there.

I would suggest turning down the heat or getting out of the pot before it is too late boiling frog.

You think their stuff is crap. But, it’s what people can afford. They can’t afford paying $5.30/gal for milk at mom and pop stores and even Vons. And, the last time I looked around poor SP, there are plenty of mom and pop stores as well as food markets. Once again, you show your ignorance concerning economics.

Big Box stores have been around a long time now. Decades! Yet, capitalism still is working. Those large stores including Amazon employ a lot of people. Are you going to give them jobs when you successfully shut them down?

Governments like cities need business to survive and stay as independent of the State and Federal Government. SP has resisted big businesses and now our streets are full of crumbled asphalt and other broken down stuff. We lost our city fire department and most of our police department. The county and state are taking over and giving small amounts for some improvements. Mom and pop stores no longer can pay for upkeep for towns and cities. Wake up and smell the roses.

You claim not to know anything about the church welfare system and then claim to know everything about every other charitable organization. It’s not that hard to find out where the money goes to and how much. There are great organizations and there are bad ones too. Do some digging before giving. But, to say there are no charitable organizations that work for the benefit of the poor is ignorance at its core. Why you try to come across as an expert on something you know very little about is narcissistic. You need to chill the pot and take a deep breath. It’s ironic you want Walmart employees to make livable wages but expect those working for charitable organizations full time to remain poorer than Walmart employees. :weary:

when you lose you base like that, It takes time to regroup. Foos and Atiki will get starter’s reps and grow into the starter’s roles a year early. Pope is a genius so we will see how he gets them ready for conf. play.

Pope is hampered by not having a true post ready player. A staff can’t prepare for losing their 2 best post players. I think BYU will get better as the year goes on but we probably and sadly will not be an NCAA team this season. Not for a lack of trying. Maybe we will get lucky and Harward will get better in January? But with no Harward or Baxter we can’t match up with good teams. When Baxter’s ACL tore we were history. What are the odds that he tore his good knee? He had a true weakness in both knees. No contact at all when he tore this last one. He was just trying to slow down from running down court

That thought has not entered my mind. BYU will dance, just not at the 5-6 seed that I had hoped, more like a 8-10 seed. We had a very good pre season, Utah, USU, SUSU and a slew of other Dance teams will help our resume’. I highly doubt that the WCC is going to be so bad that we don’t come out 2nd or 3rd best in the league. Our players 1-3 are pretty darn good.

Very sad about Baxter, 1 major injury is sad…3 is almost unheard of.

I should send you email about a conversation I had yesterday with our Spanish Bishop on this subject. I think you would appreciate his comments since you served in a Latino mission. I use to think differently, but serving for 4 years now (re-upped for another year), I have learned that maybe the was “we American saints” might be a bit off when it comes to serving in the church.

Considering that the Church gave out a 1.2 BILLION donation to various charities for the poor over the past decade or so.

Look at what they have done for the poor with groups like the NAACP, Wyoming’s Black 14 Philanthropy group, etc. As well as sending out foodbank type stuff to over 100 food banks during the pandemic. They are the first to send food, water and supplies into disaster areas as well.

Not sure where this whole issue of “Helping” the poor comes from.

I think you may be right with “American Saints” they seem to want to follow the trend as you stated, but as I listen and watch what the church is doing right now in trying to stop in the church what is based on “Tradition” vs what is “Doctrine”.

Far to many saints in the US base their faith on traditions that were taught not what is the doctrine. The church is slowly moving away from being an “American Church” to a world wide church.

I personally feel that your comments is not based in facts, but rather what happened to your family and thus, you paint with a very wide brush for all Utah companies who have failed.

I can tell you what the reports that I get because I work for the state is that the biggest reasons that Utah companies fail in Utah are as follows:
Currently #1 - Covid-19 and the ramifications from the shutdown last year/
#2 - The US ecomony is in the tank
#3 - Not enough workers to work the “low income” wages of a Restaurant, club, fast food. Many of those workers woke up and said “I need better education and a better job”.
#4 - Poor business plan -“With their high incomes and high access to credit, they’ve been able to live for many months using their credit cards,”
#5 - People refuse to make changes in their lifestyle when the economy tanks.

Here is an article about our high bankruptcy rates… Maybe help you understand what is really going on instead of your internal hatred for a few hacks in Utah county.
Bankruptcy rates in Utah can be deceiving | KSL.com

The church is the single best charity in the world. Basically no paid overhead costs and all donations go directly where they are intended. The fact remains that in order to give, one has to make money. The pursuit of money for good purposes is fine. But the devil is in the real intent of the person earning the money.

BYU dropped all the way down to #36 in today’s poll. I think others saw a real weakness at the post play as well. Not sure what we can do about it. Just have to hope other teams don’t shoot like Creighton or play tough defense like they did against us.

How do you come to that conclusion? It’s interesting that we are supposed to live in the world which means participate in local government, jobs and yes, capitalism. What does it mean to not participate “of” the world? We have questions asked when we get our Temple Recommends renewed. Seems like these are the areas to not be of the world. Are we honest in our business dealings with those we come in contact through work with? Do we work within the law and the spirit of the law? If we do and become wealthy, is that a crime against God? If we make too much money? What does that even mean? Who is the decider of what is too much money? Jim Hawks? Judge not unrighteously and ye shall not be judged…

Nice post Floyd. I agree with you on this. The article pointed out the fact that many in Utah pay full tithing which can mean less money to pay off the debts. I know Jim would pay his tithing and file bankruptcy if push came to shove.

What “traditions” are you referring to?

He tore his good knee.
Agree with Fish–Pope is a genius.
In a previous post I revised my goals from Sweet 16 to something along the lines of “If Pope gets this team to the dance, he gets Coach of the Year.” I think he will do it.

Your point about our bigs is well taken. Look how we just got obliterated inside in our two losses, and we had a third loss at Missouri State if their coach hadn’t inexplicably not gone to their post scorer in the first half (he demolished us in the 2nd half but it was too little too late).

Please tell what post you are responding to

There is a article in deseret new talks about how he is adjusting to rotation and playback.

I posted it another post…

It was a post 9 hours ago to Jim Hawks. You made a comment on Church traditions instead of following doctrine. What traditions are you referring to?

You need to wake up and look a little deeper into the very things you are saying and figure out why it is happening. You are on the right track, just a little slow getting around it. I’ll look back and hope you catch up but you are a bit of a slow learner so I won’t hold my breath.

Ignorance is bliss and you are happy with everything so more power to you blinder boy.

I surmised that it is likely connected to some kind of hereditary thing but mr. know it all hopper shut that theory down. I really admire the fact that hopper knows so much…

1 Like