Mika, will he stay or will he go?

I happen to agree with Jabbar about this topic. Even a sinner can relate truth sometimes. In fact, it’s part of the “mess” you speak of.

SG: Many of the facts both of you mention have nothing to do with the subject. Therefore, it seems that you guys are trying to minimize Jabbar’s expertise in this subject matter by tainting his character whether it’s fact or not.
I have no idea if he still does drugs. Do you? And, his politics has nothing to do with its better for players to stay in school or not. Let’s stay on topic :slight_smile:

I was never a Jabbar fan for a number of reasons. He was another of those sixties black superstars with an ax to grind over racial issues. He has mellowed over the years and is easier to take now. Years ago I was a Lakers fan in the Baylor and West days, and later, West and Chamberlain. When they acquired Jabbar I did the unthinkable and became a Celtics fan. I never cared for his politics, refusing to represent his country in the Olympics, and on and on. He may be right in his position about guys leaving college early. Too many do it and I don’t think Mika was ready. I hope he doesn’t become another Plaisted. Plaisted left too early and never played a minute in the NBA. At least Mika can make a lot of money in Europe if the NBA doesn’t work. He could make almost as much in Europe as he could have made at Kentucky if he had gone there.

I agree with you in part about today’s higher education problems. Like anything else, money corrupts. Making student loans widely accessible to students to help them get a higher education was well intended. The unintended effect was that Universities realized students had access to more money so tuition and fees skyrocketed in many places. Like any business, Universities charge what the market will bear. The whole scam on the high price of text books is another killer. Why do you need a new calculus book or history book or humanities book each semester? Text book publishers make a killing.

On the other hand, there are professions that require specialized skills and that is where the Universities do play an important role. I want a doctor or dentist or lawyer who has had rigorous training from accredited institutions and taken board exams to ensure they know what they are doing. Boeing wants engineers with engineering degrees from institutions that have challenging programs that prepare them for certain types of work. Over time, a company finds that students that go through certain programs are ideal for their company and make outstanding employees. Students that go through a rigorous program learn they are competing against other smart kids and they usually develop a great work ethic in order to get through the program. They may lose that work ethic once they land a job but that’s on the companies and not the Universities. Good paying jobs are an incentive to students to take the risk of student debt. But, as we all know, there are usually lots of applicants for the good jobs and there are no guarantees of getting a good job after all your efforts and expense.

1 Like

I was an Alcindor fan at UCLA. But, in the NBA, I was a Chamberlain fan since he was with the Warriors. So, as long as Wilt was playing I wasn’t a Jabbar fan. I wasn’t happy about Jabbar passing up Wilt’s scoring record but never because of him the man.
When Ainge went to Boston, I was in the middle of backing Boston and LA. But only because of Ainge :slight_smile:
I only agree with Jabbar about this college thing because of his expertise and his college experience. And John Wooden.

I don’t really care about Jabbar’s opinions. It always fascinates me when the media try to portray the opinions of supposedly famous people, like they know more than the rest of us or something.

Anyhow, back to BYU basketball. I was so excited to see that the Cougars have signed yet another in state “sharp shooter”, this time from Woods Cross high school, who can score lots of points. It appears that they are making all the right moves, signings and preparations necessary to finish 3rd in the wcc again. The kid is 6’5" and scored 25 points a game in high school. I hope he is prepared to learn how to pass the ball to the remaining LP players because that will be key to BYU finishing in 3rd place-wcc again.

We can look forward to another 20 win season, NIT invite and a successful season. Successful because Mika is gone and there are already plenty of excuses in place for why the team didn’t meet expectations yet again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

JimHawks
15h
I don’t really care about Jabbar’s opinions. It always fascinates me when the media try to portray the opinions of supposedly famous people, like they know more than the rest of us or something.

ME: Well, he actually played 4 years at UCLA, for John Wooden, 20 years in the NBA becoming the all time scoring champion. In the hall of fame and coached in the NBA. On the other hand, you played high school ball for a dinky team in Ojai who most JV teams could beat. Then refereed JR. High girls basketball:-) I’ll take Jabbar on this one.

Jim: Anyhow, back to BYU basketball. I was so excited to see that the Cougars have signed yet another in state “sharp shooter”, this time from Woods Cross high school, who can score lots of points. It appears that they are making all the right moves, signings and preparations necessary to finish 3rd in the wcc again. The kid is 6’5" and scored 25 points a game in high school. I hope he is prepared to learn how to pass the ball to the remaining LP players because that will be key to BYU finishing in 3rd place-wcc again.

ME: You should be happy. Now all the players will get lots of playing time so we can win league and the tournament :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jim: We can look forward to another 20 win season, NIT invite and a successful season. Successful because Mika is gone and there are already plenty of excuses in place for why the team didn’t meet expectations yet again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ME: See above :sunglasses:

considering he is a guard…how will he be on the floor with the remaining LP players?

Rose’s teams haven’t lived up to his averages the last few years…25 wins and a borderline NCAA birth are his normal.
Something needs to change…just to get back there.
New coach again. Will he make a difference? can’t hurt.
Actual defensive players on the team may make a difference this year. Will they get on the floor? who knows but at least the first team will have something close to a defense to practice against.

Good point. In all likelihood he will not see the floor much at all because playing time is reserved for those who attended Lone Peak and that means Haws and Emery. But in a 3 guard rotation he might see the floor. That is why he needs to spend time practicing his passing… because there won’t be enough shot attempts to go around for sure.

I think it is safe to say that the LP3 experiment is over. We did land man childs, who has paid off big dividends, as well as Dastrup, who I feel, dispite the weight and the mission rust, will turn out to be a good one. But watching Mika head off to the Miami Heat’s summer camp and there he sits, he got 13 minutes in the first game and sat the entire second game yesterday. Kind of says that he should have stayed but then, he stated himself that he was going to Europe if the NBA passed on him.

Rose tried a offense that is foreign to him and it just did not work. A high pic and roll suits Mika well and Rose only tried it once, against Gonzaga and it worked. Not going to talk about defense here because other than to say that I think some players are passing on BYU because in order to take it to the next level, you have to have “good defensive player” next to passer or scorer.

I am intrigued with Hardnett signing and with the hiring of Heath Schroyer as a defensive coach. Both are big steps toward “fixing” our need for some hint of a defense. Schroyer already paid off by bringing in another defensive minded player, 6’5 Kayron Brown so we will see.

Now we are signing “Mr Basketball” types again. Do I need to say any more?

Greg Wrubell
:heavy_check_mark:
@gregwrubell
Eric Mika didn’t get in today’s Miami Heat summer league win in Vegas; he has DNP-CDs in the last three Heat games, after playing in 3 of 4.

should have stayed

It is over, why worry about Mika.
My focus right now is about Jimmer and I will be surprise if nba pick him up which he will too be on DNP Department. :roll_eyes:
TJ (Jimmer brother) felt he would be better off staying away from nba and be the 3 Pointer Power where ever he plays or go back to CBA.

Of course he should have stayed. Let this be a lesson for BYU players in all team sports

The summer after leaving school is hardly the time to judge a players career.
He will most likely be playing in Europe (likely Italy) this year with a contract most BYU grads would envy after a lengthy start to a career.
Even last summer he was talking about going to Euro to play for a career, so I have a hard time believing he thinks it a mistake at this point.
He signed with Miami for summer, knowing full well that as an undrafted big man he would be cannon fodder in practice because they had drafted big and were hiring other bigs for the summer. For someone trying to improve skills instead of “land in the league” he’s made a good decision.
If he improves his skills as much in the next year as he has in the last, to be sure a pretty difficult proposition, he will likely land in the league with playing time. Such improvement is likelier against professionals in Euro or the D-League than against Yoeli Childs in the MAC.

Mika signed with an elite club from Italy

Both he and his wife served missions there so it should be a sweet deal for them. I would not mind living in Italy myself. Congrats Mika and make us proud

Another BYU failure. This time because of pride and greed. One more year at BYU and he would be ready for the NBA.

Or if he did stay the rest of the way (4 years) he may not get the NBA. Any truth about that? We saw what they were looking for, “1st year Rent a Player” or Freshmen. They don’t want anyone who are older than 18. It is the way it is. Sure Bill Walton did the right thing but that was 40 or 50 years ago
Maybe NBA need to do away with - Play one year of college then enter the draft. They should just go back what Kobe did, straight from high school.

We all knew Mika wasn’t a Kobe or Ball from UCLA. He should have stayed and his stock would have gone up. No question.

Perhaps you can enlighten me. How is one more year at BYU better than one more year in Italy? Experience wise obviously. Monetarily, as you alluded to, it is not even a question. Two people living on an NCAA salary meant for one for living on a top league pro player salary in a country with a relatively cheaper cost of living.

Harold, married students with children have been managing at BYU for decades. That’s a really silly statement you made. Two more years would make a difference except he would be drafted in the 1st round. Now, he’s stuck in Italy.