Mika, will he stay or will he go?

I asked a simple question. It has nothing to do with married byu students managing for decades.

The question I asked is simple.“How is one more year at BYU better than one more year in Italy?”

Signing a pro contract in Italy does not equal stuck in Italy. Not unless he wants to be. I’d take Italy over half the NBA cities any day.

In Italy he will be playing against players with more experience. Players with more time to play. In a league that regularly produces players signing NBA contracts.
The WCC isn’t much in comparison…Yoeli Childs and Payton Dastrup are not likely to be as good, at least not better, than the competition he will face in Italy’s top league.

To get to the NBA, Italy for him is just as likely as the WCC, and he gets paid better than BYU pays him to boot.

I’m not downplaying other world leagues. But who keeps winning international competitions? There’s only a couple of players in Italy that will ever be NBA ready. Not nearly as many he would play against in college competition where he will play against future NBA players. You want to play USA ball, play in the USA.

Yes his stock would go up but we all knew NBA are looking for show biz type of kids.
Anyway if you think so about Mika in NBA when if he play just one more year then you are optimistic. But the reality today not so to me.

1st round draft, you must be dreaming. Look at Jimmer, he was all prized winner and was picked what 5th? He sat at the end of the bench for 3 or 4 years? NBA didn’t want to do that again. Mika saw some writing on the wall from former players who thought they can play and Mika went for the draft then felt he would not be picked and gone to Italy.

Jimmer was short and slow. Mika is good enough but needed more playing time in America

And too white :sunglasses:

There’s several white players that get good playing time in the NBA. By the way, Jimmer is playing in China, not white. Back in the 50’s, 60’s black’s didn’t have a great opportunity to make it to college. So the NBA was more “white.” Now, blacks can get to college and thus they can get to the NBA as well. I thing Jimmer should have been given more of a chance. But, not even Ainge would sign him. Think about it.

The question for me is not who is playing ball in the USA. obviously USA has more overall talent.
The question is who will Mika be playing against.
in practice Yoeli Childs and Payton Dastrup.
on the court.
WCC and the weakest out of conference schedule I remember in the Dave Rose era.
will Mika improve against that as much as he will improve against the Italian league.
Tough question…I assume two RMs (Mika and his wife) who faithfully prayerfully make their decisions are not making completely unwise decisions…

If he can get to a team that consistently plays EuroLeague…he will get noticed by the NBA. despite his age. the NBA consistently takes older players from Euro than they do from NCAA…don’t know if Mika can make it that far…but it is not an unreasonable path to attempt.

They take more from overseas than from college? No. Just look at the draft to see that isn’t true.

you seemed to have missed a key word…but anyway yes.
obviously overall more usa players get drafted than euro players.
most are younger than mika, either usa or euro

but the question remains will playing a weak ooc schedule and weak wcc schedule really prep Mika more for NBA future than Italy series A?

Yes. It would. USA ball in college is much more closer to NBA ball than Euro-ball. Stay in college.

the wcc is closer to the NBA than top wrung Euro bball? guess we must simply agree to disagree.
3 wcc players on current nba rosters…
90 something euro players…can’t find a breakdown by league though…
his path to the NBA is next to nill either way…

Love reading the apple and orange argument between Harold and Hopper.

The truth is who cares? He is going to be just fine in the Italian league. If I thought I could have played some pro sport in the country I served my mission in I would have made the choice in a heartbeat. Good for Mika.

The other truth is that the LP3, unlike what a good % of people thought, never would have made it to the sweet 16 or elite 8 or whatever. Yeah, they beat Gonzaga but like I said when it happened… that was probably the best thing that could have happened for the Zags. For the record, I was right! They didn’t lose again until the championship game.

Last truth is that the NBA is ruining college basketball. All of the elite players go to Duke, Kentucky, UCLA, etc. so they can play the requisite year and then leave for gross amounts of money. The NBA game is a sham with stacked teams, no parity, no following of the rules of the game and no morals. Why do people watch it anymore? It is entertainment a la’ vegas show style. It isn’t basketball the way it was meant to be played.

Good for Mika, enjoy the experience Eric and do some good missionary work there, just like Hansen did in Russia and Jimmer is doing in China.

How do you know they are doing good missionary work? Just asking.

The NBA has always been the way it is now. You just have that nostalgia feeling all the time like it was different in the good old days :money_mouth_face:

Hansen set up an orphanage while he was in Russia. Do you think the people they associate with knew and know they are LDS? Do you think they ask questions about it? Some things are so obvious yet you don’t see or understand them. Seriously, what do you think? Do you think Jimmer never has the opportunity to talk about his religious beliefs? Do you think nobody ever notices that he is different? and they don’t ask why?

What makes you think it is the way it has always been? Is our society as a whole the “way it has always been”? Are things just like they were back in the 50’s? or maybe just like they were back in the pioneer days? being that it is the 24th of July and all. Yeah, so the NBA, back when players made enough to pay their bills is the same as it is today, where players make more in a game than they did in a season… it has nothing to do with nostalgia. Things change, times change, people are the same but circumstances and situations are different today in so many ways.

Wake up!

So you don’t really know for sure. I doubt Jimmer does missionary work in China lest he ends up in prison.
Hanson, the Russian Putin team player for the Olympics :slight_smile:

Make up your mind on the NBA. The people aren’t different. They were after money. Chamberlain played only one year at Kansas and went pro with the Globe Trotters first. 12,000 women and he ended up with a house bigger than Bob Hope’s house.

how far can your arms reach because you are the only one patting yourself…You say that BYU would never have made it to a sweet 16 with the LP3. Last I checked, they had two more years together before you can say anything. No one will ever know.

I happen to agree that Rose would not have reached a second or third round, not because of the LP3, but because he does not care about defense…Enter Heath Shroyer. so we will see.

such a great quote…Rose doesn’t care about defense so he brings in somebody who does…
If Rose didn’t care about defense his last two hires would not have been about defense.
Quincy Lewis did improve things on the defense, but didn’t get the job done well enough…
Nashif didn’t get the job done on the new offense…he’s gone.
Rose didn’t bring in an offensive guy to replace his offensive guy instead he brings in a second defensive minded coach…
So now the responsibilities aren’t going to be divided up the way they were.
Essentially LaComb and Schroyer are equals Rose on top and Lewis at the bottom. No more offensive coach defensive coach.

Lewis won’t assist on the offense? I would think he would and could

Rose and Schroyer have both stated that the all coaches will be contributing to all aspects of the game instead of the much more specialized setup that has been in place the last few years.