More bball news that isn't news

Nothing worse than a move with no finish. How can you “like a move” when they don’t finish it with a basket?

Also, the free throw misses were a killer this season. How many games were lost as a result of missed free throws? At least a couple…

As you know, that was the context of most of my in-game posts - missed layups and missed FT. As for the great moves and poor finishes, two separate issues. Davis got open at the basket with great moves and missed the shot because of lack of concentration at the basket. But, to get there was great moves. I know you understand because you have the fabulous scarecrow brain :slight_smile:

This is like saying a player has great form on his free throws but he only shoots 50%. I mean really… who cares about his form if he doesn’t make the shot?

So no… it isn’t two separate issues. They are linked together, just like a player who looks bad or has terrible form but makes his shots. The bottom line is it doesn’t matter what you look like doing it, if you can’t finish it doesn’t matter.

Oh, I understand alright… that you aren’t making any sense. All I am saying is it doesn’t make a hill of beans difference what kind of “moves” he has if he isn’t finishing that move by scoring the basket. There is NO reason to make mention of the great moves.

Well, yes it does. Because a player with terrible form will not make his shots with any consistency. Thus, it’s not the same.
The reason for the missed layup is concentration and poor form at the rim, nothing to do with the form getting to the rim.

Wow… I have no words. :weary:

I’m sorry you don’t have the capacity apparently to understand. It’s really simple. I use Lamar Odom as the example. Unstoppable getting to the basket with great footwork, balance and quickness. But, his technique with the ball next to the rim was typical left handed over spin. Up until putting the ball on the backboard was flawless. The only thing wrong was the spin. The last year with the Lakers he flattened out the delivery to the backboard reducing the overspin making the layups.
Davis does much of the same. Others did the same too. KC would get to the basket and then brick the shot. Sorry if you can’t get it :slight_smile:

blah blah lamar blah odom blah blah overspin blah davis blah blah blah same blah.

:weary:

But, it’s true :slight_smile:

First, I am not dead…just in my annual mostly hibernating stage between the end of BYU hoops and the start of football. But now that my daughter is engaged to a kid who was on the BYU baseball team, I now have to sort of follow BYU baseball…anyway, I think a key element in the FT discussion is not only who takes what % of the FTs, but who takes what % in the last 4 minutes of the game. KC (high % usage all the time) and Davis (primary back to the basket post option) killed us this year late in games–Mika’s .617 didn’t hurt us nearly as much because Haws and Carlino were taking almost all the late game FTs (of course, Carlino’s 68% that year wasn’t much better, but still).

Overall I was happy with Davis’ game. I think he gave us pretty solid production based on his abilities. I think 80% of NBA readiness is what body God puts you in, and He put Erik Mika in an NBA body but put Davis in just a good D1 player’s body. Emery is borderline–Jimmer’s height but with more hops and more quickness, so MAYBE an NBA guy. Emery certainly appears to have the other 20% (hard work, toughness, good teammate, etc etc etc). TJ? We will all be laughing at the ridiculously athletic things he does for however long he is at BYU. Prepare to enjoy.

1 Like

ah yes, the sanity has returned. Tom

Let the book of LP begin.

I followed baseball a little this year for the first time. We had a very good year by BYU standards. We’ll see how far we go in the WCC tourney and hopefully the NCAA tourney. I’m curious which player is going to be your son-in-law. If she marries Bo Burrop or Maverick Buffo, your grandkids may end-up with some fun names, assuming your daughter will go along. Congrats!

Regarding TJ, I missed his HS career. I heard him interview on BYU-SN. He sounded a lot like Tyler…low key and very humble. I am excited to find out what all the talk and excitement is about with TJ.

Davis missed a lot of give me layups and jump hooks. If he’s going to get playing time with this year’s team, he will have to make the shots after he makes those great moves to the basket. You have to finish the play.

1 Like

How many BYU fans are starting up their own sports show now? This one is kind of fun because it gets more into the touchy-feely personal side of coaches and players. Maybe they will find their niche there. As for my preferences, the show got to a fun little nugget starting around the 20 min mark. Payton Dastrum’s dad talked about how he envisioned Payton fitting into Dave Rose’s system. He said that in high school, he was a very strong rebounder on defense. On offense, he played the high post and either distributed the ball to the low post or to the shooters on the perimeter. If they sagged off of him, he either drove or knocked down the jumper. It was a “killer” combo especially between Payton and the low post player. He hopes Dave Rose will use him the same way. I’m thinking the first option from the high post might be to feed Mika/Kaufusi/Davis/Childs in the low post. Second option is to distribute to the guards or look for his own offense. I’m looking forward to seeing it in action…

For those of you who think there is no bias against BYU, can you explain this?

BYU, Gonzaga and St. Mary’s finish tied for first in the wcc…

Gonzaga has 4 players on the all conference first team, St. Mary’s has 3 and BYU has 2.

Also, both Gonzaga and St. Mary’s get ranking votes, while BYU does not, even though the Cougars finished the season with a higher RPI and better record than the other 2 teams.

Like I’ve said… Gonzaga is the darling of the wcc. I wish I could see their game in the wcc tournament… watch the strike zone shrink and expand based on who is pitching…

So now that the facts are shown, how can it be denied?

You do understand in baseball, teams with less individual talent win more games.
The Yankees and Dodgers have been trying to buy their way to a World Series Championship. But, the Giants, with less individual talented players keep winning. So, for Gonzaga to have more individual talent can certainly happen. I don’t expect you to understand :slight_smile:

My future son-in-law is a kid named Tyson Graff. He is a dynamite kid. Prior to his mission he was all-state in football and baseball at Dixie and won a 3A state championship in football. He walked on to the baseball team last year after his mission but was let go when this year’s roster was finalized. He and my daughter attended nearly every home game this season and he proposed after a game by having my daughter stand on the mound and throw him a pitch. After he caught it (a strike, I hope), he deftly switched it for a ball he’d had hollowed out and fitted to hold a ring–then he handed it back to her and dropped to a knee to propose. Considerably more romantic and well-planned than his future father-in-law’s proposal 29 years ago, I might add.

What is this MLB vs College has anything to do with it? Yeah, 3 schools share the wcc champ, how weird was that but not the same as for basketball. GU basketball team will always be on top which we hope that will change really soon like 2016/17.

Go Giants - it is Even Year of this decade World Series champs :smiley:

That’s a great story! You can’t hope for anything more in a future son-in-law. Not only is he a romantic who will treat your daughter well, he’s an avid BYU fan and will probably enjoy watching games or attending games with the in-laws on a regular basis. AND there’s a good chance the happy couple will one day have a few kids that will provide his parents and in-laws (namely you) countless hours of t-ball, little league and who knows how many hours of high school sports. Congrats all around!

Read it again. Like in basketball, we don’t have as many pro-talented players as GU does. Yet, we compete with them. Happens in baseball at any level more than other sports.
Go Giants!