New head coach?

A guess: after the Missouri game Holmoe sat down with Bronco and they agreed to part amicably.

On the speculations, no one has mentioned Holme. There are resonsons for him to be concidered.

1. keeping staff intact
  2. Polynesians arenā€™t offended, because of bias
  3. brings in Lewis as atheletic director

Mowgli: Your New Coach Post: I am putting a post in here because I couldnā€™t answer your post on the New Head Coach heading in the Uncategorized category, thanks to this wonderful Board and its, " no answer in sixty minutes" it gets canned. Tell me why again? Anyway I can see some of your proposals on Dr. RA. I read some on the coach from East Carolina. Sounds like a pretty good idea, him working with RA, them being good friends, etc.
At least Broncoā€™s leaving BYU for UVA gives us something to talk about. This Boards needs something to living it up.

BYU is cheap. Floyd: Maybe Ed Lamb from SUU is the BODā€™s guy. By the way SG: The name is Bevell, not Bebel.

Yes, and ARod said it wasnā€™t about the money. And LeBron. And everyone else. Seriously, I canā€™t believe anyone would believe that it isnā€™t the money talking. FIFTEEN MILLION difference over 5 years and he retires young in princely style. Oh yeah, I guess itā€™s just that he needs a new challenge and doesnā€™t care about the money. So you think he would have left a good team in his home state for a crappy team across the country for the SAME MONEY??? hahahaha!! Sorry to sound like such a cynic, but I love Bronco but have clear enough goggles to see that this is all about the benjamins.

Except it was revealed today on BYU Sports Nation that if Virginia had required him to leave BYU before the bowl game that was a deal breaker. He would not have left. I believe Bronco to be an honest man with his priorities in the right order. Iā€™m sorry you have such a low view of Bronco.

Of course itā€™s about the money. You say all those other things because itā€™s the nice thing to do.

Any sane person would take the money. I sure would if I was in Broncoā€™s situation. Nothing wrong or dishonest about it.

You ignore Broncoā€™s own words that him not being able to coach the bowl game was a deal breaker. Are you calling him and Holmo a liar?

Not sure what you are talking about. I am saying the reason he is the UVa. HC is about the money. Whether he coaches the bowl game or not, I really donā€™t care. Letā€™s get a new HC.

Roy,

Believe or not there are people who really donā€™t care about the moneyā€¦ I am one of themā€¦ I have said for years, I donā€™t care about becoming ā€œrichā€, I just enough money to take care of my family.

I honestly believe Bronco when he is $$$ was not the primary motive for leavingā€¦ I think bronco like to take on broken things and fix themā€¦

Disagree Tomā€¦ I do not think it is always about the money for some coachesā€¦ Coaches like Sabin YES!,
Bronco not so sure, because I believe Bronco when he says he like Challengesā€¦ His personality is such that he likes does necessarily like the lime light, he more of a gym rat mentality. Bronco is one of those people who simply loves to build programs, he did it at New Mexico with Rocky Long, then at BYUā€¦

As the Great John Stockton use to say during salary negotiationsā€¦ā€œhow much is do I need?ā€ā€¦ He was probably the most underpaid pro basketball player in the NBA, not because the Jazz would not pay him, but rather because of his personal beliefsā€¦

I know you think that way. Itā€™s part of your ideology and you are unable to believe someone would not take more money if it meant he would have to leave the current job in disarray and hurt those he worked for.

I think for Bronco, what he was earning at BYU was sufficient and he invested well over the 11 years and is financially set. I think he wanted another challenge. I think he wants to be in a conference playing for a league championship and a possibility for getting into the playoffs more easily. However, thatā€™s not as important to him.

Iā€™m not saying that he will turn down more money. Iā€™m saying heā€™s got more character than you apparently do. Donā€™t take it hard or that Iā€™m attacking you personally. The world just doesnā€™t revolve around your ideology.

[quote=ā€œgrasshopper, post:33, topic:4215ā€]
Iā€™m saying heā€™s got more character than you apparently do. Donā€™t take it hard or that Iā€™m attacking you personally
[/quote]. Oh you are not attacking me personally but he has more character than I do. That is like a person who shakes your hand and looks into your eyes with a smile and at the same time with his other hand stabs you in the back. Who the hell are you to say one thing about me personally. Do you know me other than what I post here? I don/t think so. :laughing: Scott, you funnie.

Bronco went to UVa, specifically, primarily because of the money. All those other things he talked about are important to him, I surmise, but he would not have gone to another D1 program that needed a coach with the same characteristics you described but paid the same or less than BYU. There is a reason the whole thing was so hush, hush, out of the blue and happened so quickly. I think the writing was on the wall at the Y, time to move on Bronco. And he found the best he could find at the time and could pay more and needed new leadership.

Oh Scott, about your character, donā€™t know you so nothing to say, about that. :smile:

We, general fans, donā€™t know one thing about Edwards and money from BYU because he kept it private. He may not have been publically demanding or even privately demanding but I bet Lavell was no slouch in taking care of himself.

Let it go Roy. Scott has never had a filter and he does not understand how mad he makes people when he attacks them personally We have all been on the and of a Scott attack

Fish is right. Scott is a great guy, but he likes to bait people. Just ignore his character comments.

For the record, I agree with Tom that this was really about the $$. And thereā€™s nothing wrong with that.

Do you know how much Bronco is making at BYU? I donā€™t. Thatā€™s been private and speculative.

Actually Royā€¦He is my cousinā€¦ so I do know a little about himā€¦

His love was the players, he never really thought much about the amount of money he was getting paid, he was just happy to get paidā€¦For some strange reason he always thought he was going to get fired the next yearā€¦ He invested wisely and was a bit frugal with his $$$ā€¦

He was paid way below his counter parts, but that did not matter to himā€¦ He could have went to Detroit for a lot of $$$ but again, he loved coaching the kidsā€¦ that was his passion, the ā€œKidsā€ā€¦

Floyd, I said for the general fan and obviously you (for Lavell) are not a general fan. And Floyd I believe everything you said. I just believe, unless proven otherwise, that Lavell would not be taken advantage of. If he was underpaid, it was because he was ok with it, just like John Stockton. I would bet Lavell is a formidable man, when or if he wants to be.