New head coach?

1. I too believe that Bronco is an honest man with his priorities in the right order.
  2. I have always loved Bronco and unlike many other fans you have never seen me call for his head on a platter.
  3. I think UVA capitulated to many of his demands, so, when he says it was a “deal breaker,” he may be saying those words but I doubt UVA ever demanded or even suggested otherwise. So the whether or not it was a “deal breaker” was never tested.
  4. I think he is saying that more to demonstrate how much he loves his current BYU players than to suggest he would have turned down $20 million dollars to coach the Las Vegas Bowl had push come to shove (which it didn’t).
  5. Saying one’s motivation is primarily financial doesn’t mean I have a “low view” of that person. In fact, quite to the contrary. I think what Bronco is doing is admirable, as it would be for any employee: he got a job, did a very good job, got recognition for it, made a lot of money, never became a jerk, EARNED a sterling reputation, then leveraged it for a much higher paying job doing the exact same thing for a different company. That’s America at its finest.
1 Like

I agree with almost everything you wrote. The only part I disagreed with that coaching the bowl game wasn’t tested. It was. Holmoe even said it on BYU Sports Nation.

You know as well as I do that anytime you have interviewed for a job, the employer wants to know when you can begin. They want to know if you have to give notice and is there a time frame. I’m very sure Virginia asked him when he can start. Most schools want right away. The fact UV gives him this option to coach the bowl game is a testament to the character of UV’s leaders as well as Bronco.

You might disagree with that one aspect of what Tom wrote but the reality is that he is closer to what really happened than you probably are.

I’m sure they asked him how soon he could get going and I’m sure Bronco replied “as soon as the bowl game is over” and they probably replied “we hoped you could start right now, but that is fine with us”… so to call it a deal breaker is a bit misleading. Like Tom said, it was likely never an issue in the first place.

You just like disagreeing with people… it’s what you do. :smile:

I’m not saying that it was a deal breaker. Tom Holmoe said it! On BYU Sports Nation!

Sometimes timing in life is everything. If Bronco was contemplating moving on, as we know he thought about it last year, this was the year to do it. BYU could very well end up with a losing record next year, and his market value may take a steep hit if that is the case. BYU may have reached it’s apex in performance with the increased difficulties in their schedule and Bronco could have thought “it isn’t going to get any better than this” and opted for a new challenge. I have no problem with his decision, but I think BYU needs a high profile coach and OC to move forward in their program. I love the Navy coach, but not sure how much recruiting he has done as coach of Navy. This is a critical time for BYU football and I hope the right decisions are made. I like moving Lewis up in the ranks as PR needs to greatly improve and he is a great PR person besides years as a NFL tight end. Whoever gets the job, I would like to see it happen yesterday. There are promising recruits coming in and I would hate to see a mass exodus elsewhere.

1 Like

The Navy coach obviously recruits very well to be a ranked team after years of poor play.

SG: Navy has been a significant military academy with winning seasons for many years. Did you ever hear of George Welsh, one of the best and others including Nat today. Paul Johnson did well at Navy until he followed Welsh to Georgia Tech as HC.

If the Y truly is going after P5 conference inclusion then they need to step up the pay so they can hire a quality person and quality coordinators and assistants. I agree hire someone as quickly as possible but do due diligence also.

I know… but I thought a little insight would be good… besides I like rattling chains once in awhile
LOL

Tom,
I think Bronco stayed to coach the Vegas bowl for one simple reason, he has integrity…

In his mind he was hired to coach the team the entire season and any post season, with this new hire (which BYU allowed Bronco to interview for because he was under contract) at Virginia, he simply wanted to complete his contracted obligation.

That says a lot about the man…

1 Like

Don’t forget about the former USU coach Charlie Weatherbie who help get the ship headed in the right direction for Navy… Before him, there really was not a consistent winning program.

There is a lot of rumors swirling around Kyle Whittingham coming back to BYU here in Utah media…

At least three different sports talk “personalities” have sighted inside sources at both BYU and Utah that has stated Kyle is very interested in BYU and the feelings are mutual at BYU. Since Kyle and Utah AD Hill are not on each other Christmas list(according to these sources) there may be some validity…

Some would wonder why would Kyle leave a P5 conference team and go to BYU, my opinion is that it does not really matter to coaches, because they do it because they love the game and the money for the most part is secondary.

One thing I have heard is Kyle can be very difficult to work with… maybe he would be able to lure Kalani to come to BYU.

Rattle my chains any time, my bones already rattle. :smile:

This would be a best Christmas gift Floyd of Kyle and and Kalani

for the last time I am not questioning Bronco’s integrity, nor have I ever done so. Just saying that it’s about the money. UVA admires him enough to let him hang around long enough to coach the bowl game; I’m sure the fact it’s on 12/19 and not 1/1 made a different in that respect. If we can beat the Utes it would be cool for Bronco to get his 100th W.

Come on… seriously?

You do know that one of the primary jobs that Holmoe has is to do damage control and keep fans interested in the program, right?

That comment was all about P.R. It was no more a deal breaker than you saying you wouldn’t buy season tickets if Bronco left…

Come on, Floyd. Don’t tell me coaches coach primarily because they “love the game.” And the money is mostly secondary. I agree that most coaches love the game. But they love the money even more. And they have big egos that ESPN, Conferences, the NCAA, etc, feed. For most of them, this is their career which is mostly driven by $, which is just fine. In other words, if Ohio State told Urban Meyer they were cutting his salary in half which would make him the 5th highest paid coach in the Big 10, do you think he’d stay? Me neither.

Conversely, to use a silly example to prove a point, if Kentucky’s basketball team offered to double Urban’s $5.86mil salary, do you think he’d pass it up to stay? Me neither.

Craig,

There are what 109 college football teams on the D1 level? So I stand by my assumption that the “Majority” of college coaches do so for the love of the game, the ability to teach players how to play the game and most of all to fulfill their competitive spirit…

Most colleges do not pay the Salaries of Alabama, Florida or Ohio State… If money was their primary reasons, the NFL pays way more than the NCAA ranks…

So, he’s a liar then?

I vote Kyle Whittingham