Our Defense is an Embarrassment

Have you ever thought about the possibility that the PAC12 records are where they are because they are all good to great teams who beat up on each other? We only played one P5 teams that was actually very weak.

It’s beyond “loyal” and extraordinarily weird to see a HC who was a DC himself who fielded balls-out, aggressive, burn the building down defenses at Utah all of a sudden be watching his scared, passive, retreating defense week after week and be totally OK with it. See the long message I posted a minute ago. I totally don’t understand Kalani–Tui puts a bad defense on the field that also hamstrings the offense, and the numbers prove it, and Kalani says the same thing after every game, putting all the blame on the players for “missed assignments,” “needing to be just a little better,” never admits that our scheme is built to fail, etc. and really has started to sound like Charlie Brown’s teacher.

Yet, we ended up 10-3 this year and 11-1 last year. How did that happen? One big stat you didn’t share is that we are positive in the take-a-ways with fumbles and interceptions. Your stats on other issues can be important as well. But, we are still 21-4 in 2 years. Hold teams to 24 points and score 30+ and we should have another great year next year.

I recall that in the first few games, we were not playing bend and not break. We were blitzing and had different looks with the defense. But, injuries piled up and we had no other choice but to use it again, a lot. However, we still tried other formations too. It want 3-8 every play.

I do not and will not buy the injury excuse from Kalani or from anyone else. As other posters have pointed out, every team has key injuries, and most teams have a lot of them. BYU is no different. Kalani and Tui tell the media through August and September that this is the deepest BYU team ever? But a couple guys get hurt and we can’t even TRY to defend anymore? Really?

Last year’s record is easy to explain: we had an AWESOME offense (just like this year but better because Wilson > Hall) and we played a JV schedule.

This year’s record was very fortunate with 5 games coming down to our offense having to grind out clock when we all knew if we turned it over or punted the other team would just score to win. Most of our wins produced a sense of relief, not a sense of elation.

And it was terrible to watch. Truly embarrassing to see. When I witnessed a 19 play TD drive by garbage team USF and Kalani didn’t change anything, I knew he never would.

1 Like

That is the difference between a fan and a cynic. To me, they were wins and I’m always happy for wins, especially against P5 opponents. Then, you trashed last years team. Yes, this years team played a much more difficult schedule and had many more injuries as would be expected playing 7 P5 teams.

It was obvious that we weren’t as deep with the defense as we were with the offense. But, we still won a lot with them. But, the last touchdown UAB made is obvious our 2nd and 3rd stringers weren’t quite ready for that moment in the game.

I’ll go out on a limb and say UAB did not have nearly the injuries we had going into that game. In any event, I’m positive we will do well again next year as well. At the end, it’s the scores that matter. Win by 1 or win by 31 doesn’t matter.

Doesn’t matter if every single starter is out with injuries after the 5th game of the first 3 or 4 seasons with the highest win total being 5 or 6 or even 7 wins, Kilani will be looking for a new job. Does not matter a bit if there are 10 excuses for win totals like that and he will be fired. In Independence, excuses may get you somewhere, but in the B12, excuses will get you fired.

1 Like

Oh really? How many coaches have ever been fired at BYU for poor seasons? I think the Big12 is going to be very balanced. You won’t see many 11-1, 10-2 winners anymore in the Big 12. 9-3, 8-4 will be the norm for regular season. Then, the conference championship game and to a major bowl every year.

Why BYU’s defense struggled to stop UAB in crunch time at Independence Bowl - Deseret News

Blah, blah, blah…No, the offense is the reason for the loss. Got down 14-0 in the beginning.

You can admit the defense was weak this past season and still be a blue goggle wearing fan who yaps about beating all the P-5 and Pac 12 teams as well. I know it would help your cause. I understand your perspective as a fan but let’s be honest, tlarimer knows a lot more about the x’s and o’s of the game than you or I do. When he points out FACTS I think it makes sense to listen, process and come to your own conclusion. How you refuse to acknowledge the bad strategy and schemes on defense is puzzling.

I see it and yet I am still a big fan… of Sitake and the team. However, he needs to address these issues soon or it is going to be really bad when BYU starts playing Big 12 games.

This is so funny and nonsensical. The offense is the reason for the loss yet it was the defense that allowed UAB to score 14 quick points. Your comment makes no sense.

I did acknowledge him. Then I gave my opinion. What’s the problem :innocent:

If our offense started quick and scored with UAB, we would have won by 11 points. Pretty simple and easy to understand. It’s like basketball. Just outscore the other teams.

Wait…What? hahahaha, walk away.

Pope won with Defense tonight, Sitake needs to watch the the S Florida game

I think this comment by d. harmon in the desnews sums up our defensive effort in the game.

BYU’s defense couldn’t cover, couldn’t tackle, couldn’t get off blocks, lost containment, had feeble gap control and failed to get any pressure on UAB QB Dylan Hopkins (19-23 for 189 yards).

does not matter if you are a starter or not, all these issues mentioned are basic fundamentals of football.

we who are more obersvant in the games, knows these issues have been present all year long.

His analysis doesn’t take in the fundamental concept of experience and strength allowing for the game to slow down enough to make the physical movements to do and be where the players are supposed to be. First stringers at BYU are capable to do all that. Second and third stringers are not ready enough through experience and strength for the game to slow down enough to consistently make those plays. Especially with the defensive backs and linebackers.

As BYU continues to recruit bigger, stronger and talented defensive players, there won’t be the fall off when first stringers on defense go down with injuries. Sitaki seems to be getting better recruits and as the missionaries return each year, more and more we will see this come together playing tough P5 schedules. Because even with playing the middle to lower P5 teams, the physicality of those teams is greater than the G5s and it takes a greater toll with injuries.

yep, caught my eye as well. Everybody knows that Harmon is a BYU Homer and for him to go off like that is so far out of character, things are THAT BAD.

The other thing caught my eye was that Tom Larimer took the time to write out an epistle about all things wrong with BYU Defense, only to have our very own hopper respond with a dismissive, "

To my knowledge, no one was trashed BYU’s great run of the past two years, to a man, every person has pointed out that Tuiaki is the weak link and will have to go if BYU wants to win in the very real Big 12.
Instead Hopper keeps a running argument with EVERY SINGLE PERSON on Cougarfan. Is it fun? You all can judge but I choose to not engage him. It is a waste of my time.

My hope is that all of you have a Merry Christmas, including Hopper, and my one wish is that (as THawk surmised), Tuiaki get a head coaching deal somewhere else.

I really could not be happier with how this past year played out with the Big 12 invite and our two great coaches, Pope and Sitake.

1 Like

First downs allowed: 108th
3rd down defense: 106th
4th down defense: 111th
sacks: 108th

Against VERY VERY VERY average offenses…

1 Like

When it comes to football, the NCAA, ALL politicians, and ANYTHING the government says, YES I’M A PROUD, PROUD CYNIC. I’m a lawyer so I’m trained to be cynical anyway.

Now when it comes to my beautiful wife, 4 great kids, 6 (7th on the way) grandkids, my friends, my co-workers, and the 80 or so percent of people in the US who are not insane fanatics on either the left or the right, I’m anything but cynical. Example: when I see my team get steamrolled and a coach making millions says the same tired thing every week, you bet I’m cynical and inclined to think that coach is protecting himself or an assistant. When a total stranger working the McDonald’s drive through smiles and says “have a great day,” I’m inclined to think he or she really means it.

I too hope all my friends on Cougarfan have a great Christmas and that we can keep enthusiastically, respectfully, and even sarcastically or cynically, commenting on our love for BYU sports. I am grateful for you guys and love hearing your perspective and positions, even when I might be the only one off base at times.

Have a Merry Christmas as well watching BYU Basketball without the horses in the middle we were expecting. We will lose some games because of those two injuries (illness) as we did in Football as the season moved along. And, when you’re off base, I’ll be here to let you know. Hope you can be man enough to take it and admit it :innocent: