Pepperdine game - let's see how it goes

Touché!..so that means in 2 years I will be able to endure a BYU road game

Will Mark Few call out BYU for not being competitive enough after this season? He did it with the rest of the conference at the end of last season.

This is really frustrating. There has to be something more important that I need to focus on… Maybe I need to do a better job as bishop, maybe my spirituality level is slipping. I need to search for answers, it is driving me crazy.

We should be seeing improvement as the season progresses this year.

It isn’t happening. The program has some serious issues right now that need to be fixed.

I will say this, the only thing I enjoyed about the game is that Dastrup and Guinn got more than their usual 0 or 4 minutes in the game.

Oh, and one more thing, In scouting these guys, I said, “who ever wins the rebounding war, wins the game”. How’d we do?

I agree.

On a different note (I guess they outrebounded BYU?) do you see improvement in this team? Do they play well together? grasshopper says Emery is improving but I don’t see it from any of the players. Mika looked terrible tonight and when he finally did something, after forcing it so many times, the officials took him out of the game with silly fouls.

So are they improving with experience playing together?

Mike Reed has a long and ugly history with BYU. He makes Big Nose look like president of the Cougar Club. That’s all I’ll say about Mike Reed. It says a lot when the ESPN announcers obviously don’t even know how to respond to calls. Three made layups with clear blocking fouls turn into 3 charges in key moments–9 point swing and major momentum shifter.

Emery is said to be a great defender. Funny how his guy seems to go for 30 every other game…oh yeah, cheating for steals 15 feet from your guy is a great way to give up open treys…

YUK. I think we all agree this season is not Dave Rose’s best work.

No, these guys are an absolute mess. I grew up with a motto, “If a guy makes a 3 on you, you get in his face, if he makes another, you take him out.” but in no case would you ever let him make 5-7 threes on the night as the freshman, Lee did.

I would have put Guinn on Lamont Jr because he just shot over the smaller Emery. The little that I saw of Guinn on him, he did a fairly good job.

Haws got abused again tonight (as he always does) by the much smaller, Major. 5-10 from 3.

I literally had to turn off the TV and walk away, it was that bad…then BYU crawled back to within 5 when I checked the score an hour later…so I turned it back on and got to see Dastrup in action, which as fun. Then came the 3 calls you refer to as charges, I hit playback a few times to look at them from a refs’ point of view…not one a charge. I admit, I did not watch the last 6 minutes or so, too painful.

I was talking to a friend of mine who officiates high school ball in Phoenix. He has done state final games and has officiated for over 25 years. He didn’t concur on any of the charging calls. How does a guy fall to the floor when the offensive guys crashes into his shoulder? The Pepperdine guys were never set in position. They just fell to the floor and sold the charge to the officials, who seemed willing to buy it every time.

Is that why BYU lost? No, but it was part of the picture. BYU just seems to get this kind of officiating more often than not. Childs fouled out in only 16 minutes of play. They were picking on him. Mika went out in only 22 minutes. The Waves had nobody in foul trouble really… except one non impact guy had 4 fouls.

I’m sick of the guys that get assigned to do BYU games. This is the kind of game that gets my conspiracy blood flowing.

Older teams learn quicker. You can also give older players more plays and defenses. I know you are unable to see the progression but it’s there. It could be that lack of coaching experience to see it :stuck_out_tongue:

Mike Reed. Has done some big NCAA tourney games so brags about his great experience and reputation. But a few years later he finds himself doing WCC games on ESPNU at 11 eastern. Long history with BYU + bitterness=feels like watching Moose Stubing work a game like in the bad old days.

We caused many turnovers. But we committed way too many. Yes, a couple of charging fouls were incorrectly called. But eliminate 5 or 6 of the turnovers and I think we have a shot to win.

No. Not buying the excuse machine anymore. Way too late in the season to be making excuses about “older teams learn quicker” or “this is a young team”. Stop making up excuses for this BYU team. They just don’t get it.

Emery after a made basket with a completely lazy, slow, one hand off the dribble, across the body pass just after midcourt that is intercepted by Murray for a dunk at the other end.

Bryant with a lazy, completely unnecessary around the back dribble that he throws right to the defender for a runout.

These are just two specific examples of this team’s lack of respect for possessions. And I don’t mind flashy passing or dribbling, if it’s purposeful and intended to create an immediate score. But these two were just both lazy, sloppy plays by guys who were at the moment not preparing to shoot or even passing to a shooter. Mike Krzyzewski wouldn’t put up with this. It makes me–the alumni and fan–think we have guys on the court who just don’t care, and that’s messed up. Just sayin’…

so are you saying this is a coaching error or is it the kids.

I turned off the game at half-time. Too painful to watch. Instead, I started making out invitations to the whole staff and players to be pall bearers at my funeral because I’ve learned I can count on them to let me down.

I won’t be inviting the WCC refs to my funeral, though. As soon as they see BYU players picking up my casket, they won’t be able to help themselves from mumbling “FOUL.” And then my little brother will whisper “Foul? I can’t smell anything!” and then things will degrade from there (no pun intended).

2 Likes

This is an example of why you won’t ever know what’s happening. My logic is also complemented by the newscasters and sports analysts. Young teams struggle with defense and learning all the different sets in an offense. We will see more cutting next year. Better spacing next year. Better defense too. Better shooting.

Utah has Juniors and Seniors too. So do most teams that don’t make as many mistakes. The turnover of Emery’s you mentioned was more of Haws fault not coming to the ball.
Young team and these things can be worked on. Mika needs to stick around two more years.

Both. Primarily on the coaches. I think these kids are supremely talented and also have great character and if challenged and held to a higher standard they can handle it. That said, some of our lapses are so unbelievable that it’s hard to think the players wouldn’t just instinctively NOT do that stuff.

Literally multiple times every game, we see the off the ball guard cheating 15 feet off his guy to deny the post, ball swings, open three. That has happened a hundred times this year. I can only conclude it’s a coaching/schematic problem.

Multiple times every game, we see guards cheating and lunging for steals; now we are playing 4 v 5, somebody else comes to help, ball swings, D rotates, speed of ball ALWAYS beats speed of rotation–open three (or dunk). I think this is a combination of blame on players who keep doing it and the coaches who leave the kids in the game when they do it.

YUK. as in the taste in my mouth after I throw up in my mouth watching us play defense.

Every time I see an unforced turnover on a lazy pass or a travel or a pass that goes 3ft over everyone’s head for a back court violation I think the same thing…why don’t they instinctively NOT do that?