Post Game Reaction

No, I said Grimes is methodical and will open up his play book week by week… He is in the process of building a foundation of what BYU offense will be… You know the basics…

Now think back to 1976-1980 time era, Lavell Edwards and Dewey Warren created an offensive scheme (some call it the west coast offense). They built the base system. As time went on, different OC’s Scovil would tweek the system to fit the players they had. That is why Jim McMahon and Steve Young could use the same system but have different abilities.

That is what Grimes is building now. The base system. I believe by the end of the season, you will be seeing more passing (using what the defense allows) as well as a balanced running game.

Yea, but they just released ESPN+ and got a million subscribers…

I think when they decided to go “Streaming” that could change some things…

I am looking into it, because I don’t have cable or dish…

The ones you just mentioned Two of three are DEFENSIVE players… I was referring to Offensive…

Well I stand corrected, I think Hifo looks good, so does Holker (sp?) kid, well if he doesn’t drop the ball that is… :open_mouth:

I think the Romney kid has a good chance to be a play maker… time will tell

Sounds good to me…

Even I have some reservations about Washington, after watching them kill Utah with some very punishing hits, I hope BYU beef up front can put some hurt on Washington players.

Utah is now going to start running the ball more, KW is a bit in a twit about the offense…

And how many years have we been hearing about Utah and the “New” offense? And how many OC’s has he gone through?

Whit is his own problem. He is a defensive mind (so is Sitake) so he will continue to run through OCs, You see; Whit would like a high scoring offense but we will never allow an OC to implement a high scoring offense. A defensive mind cannot bear the thought of 3 and outs. They need need need to get 4 yards on 1st downs, then they think…Oh, I need 4 more. Dinks and rushing is all their mind wants to see. It is all about the 1st down. In their mind=We need sustained drives on offense so that we can preserve the Defense. As long as the Defense is fresh and not gassed, they can’t score on us and we will win. That is how a defensive mind works. Long passes are wasted plays. Whit has never looked at a quick strike for gold as a part of football.

Wash. will be ready and they want a NC run. No way do they overlook BYU like Wisc… I have it a solid loss for BYU.

Freshman qb

Apparently Utah has a “Great” freshman QB as well. John Beck speaks highly of him.

I think you may get your wish and see Wilson come in for a few plays during the Washington game, or use Beau Hoge in some “different” schemes.

He will be good but it will take a while for him to adjust. I don’t think McNeese State will be a pushover

Isn’t this the same thing people said before the Wisconsin game? I’m not disputing the fact that it would be great to have a fantastic passing game every time out and that it will be important moving forward in other games.

I’m just saying that in this game, and actually in every game looking ahead, that if BYU wins the game I don’t care how many yards passing they have. That is all I was saying.

We may move the ball on the ground but without a passing threat we will be kicking field goals while Washington is scoring touchdowns.
What I believe we are doing in this forum is talking about how to win the game. Makes for good discussions :slight_smile:

Actually “No”, we were talking about how bad we are going to lose.

I think most people want the BYU of the past, throwing 500+ yrds a game, running to setup the pass…

Grimes comes a different culture, where passing sets up the run. Look at Alabama, Auburn, etc… they are power running teams with just enough passing to keep the defense honest.

I have heard Kalani himself say he wants a “Smash mouth” team… much like KWhitt at Utah. Hopefully Kalani will not go down the same road and interfere with the OC trying to do their jobs.

I just noticed that the starters for the receivers has changed, it is no longer Micah Simon, Neil Pau’u, and Dylan Collie. The one thing that has bothered me is that our receivers are dropping very catchable passes. Even if Tanner is not the best thrower, some of those drops are not on him.

I went back and watched The Wisconsin game and specifically looked for dropped passes. I don’t consider passes as dropped when a defender is draped all over the receiver all the way to the ground. Holker’s miss very few could catch that one. Most incomplete pass attempts were bad passes or the ball was thrown away on purpose.

just because you don’t see the receivers dropping passes, don’t mean the coaches don’t.

they have software that separate plays from the film and able to slow mo the play.

that is called film room study

That was pretty nonsensical… there were no dropped passes in that game except the holker pass where he had to leap, got hit, jarred the ball loose, hit the ground with the defender landing in him. I watched it over and over and in slow motion.

Again, according to you…

But on game tape… the coaches mentioned that there were several “drop” passes in the weekly coach Kalani Show.

So are you saying BYU coaches are Lying? That they don’t know what they are talking about?

I’m sure they are simply saying to them you can try harder. Floyd, you re-watch the game yourself and count the passes that were dropped.
Have there been games where passes were dropped? Yes. The Cal game had some dropped passes. Other than that, not really. The one’s the coaches may talk about were bad passes with defenders hitting them. In those cases a coach wants to make the player think they could have caught it so next time they try harder. But, I don’t call poorly thrown passes into traffic drops.

Witt destroys QBs as well as OCs. Just look at where Huntley is today. At the 1st of the year I read articles saying that he would be the BEST QB BYU would face this year.

On another note, I watched the BYU-Ut game from 2016. Tanner was underthrowing receivers consistently back then as well… Just not a good down field thrower.