Post KU game thoughts

You can see it. He led with the shoulder.

It was up. If there was any contact it was secondary and incidental to the shoulder hit.

please show me just how the face mask is up?

this is right before the hit, you see his face mask is down, not up.

The commentator says “watch where he puts his shoulder BOOM! It’s as good as it gets!”
His helmet isn’t down. You can see Bryant’s face and he’s tucking his head away and never leads with the helmet. The first shot in the same YouTube video clearly shows they never connected helmets. Their head was side by side.

Look at Bryant’s helmet is up with his shoulder making all the contact away from Kingston’s head. That was all shoulder as the commentator stated.

This is AFTER the initial Contact Scott…

What commentators? The ones on ESPN said, “that looks like targeting” (paraphrasing here).

Final post with a picture at the point of Contact

Notice the helmet-to-helmet contact, you can clear see the left should of the defender which means that the first contact was with the helmet not the shoulder.

The part you are referring to after the initial contact was made.

Targeting Rule: The targeting rule prohibits players from making forcible contact against an opponent with the CROWN of the helmet, which the NCAA defines as “the portion of the helmet above the level of the top of the facemask.

You are assuming helmet to helmet contact and that it is what he was leading with. The one dimensional aspect of a picture from that angle allows for one dimensional thinking. So, here is another angle and as you can see Bryant is leading with the shoulder. Kingston’s head is down but not turned if there was contact. Bryant’s head is tucked to the right avoiding leading with his head while clearly leading with the shoulder.

Also, as I said too that I believe it was still a penalty because he drove his shoulder high into the chin area. I’ve seen that in the pros before as well. But hit wasn’t helmet targeting.

Disclaimer: I was a long time Head Coach but have never officiated football. Nor do I totally understand the targeting rule. I will say this: watching in real time, I would NOT have called the hit on Kingston. It looked violent but clean to me. However, I’m SHOCKED BEYOND BELIEF that they didn’t review it. Even if they upheld the call on the field. When a guy takes a blow that violent, clearly above the shoulders, and winds up out cold on the field, how can the replay official–who had plenty of time with Kingston down–NOT order a review? Again–even if they uphold the call, if THAT doesn’t get reviewed, they should scrap the entire review process. The ONLY explanation is that the replay official was caught up in the excitement of a gigantic hit, a crowd going wild, and a defensive TD, and decided not to do his/her job. The Rex “PI” also looked like a non-call to me in real time. Yes he got there early, and yes he was pinning Rex’s arm. But it was bang-bang and those plays happen a lot with no call. On top of that, the officials were definitely NOT favoring BYU in any way, so there would not be a predisposition to “look for a call.”

1 Like

bingo

Fire Funk, get someone of on the Oline to block, it aint Eiteinne, that guy’s wasted space

slovis is plenty capable to win many games in the big 12, our Oline is not being coached, flire funk

We need a shift in coaching strategy, Martin is blocking on pass plays, should leach him out into flats after the inicial bock, have him go one on one with the spy.

Kingston is a true fr. and it showed, eyes up and live to fight another day., learning moment, just like Beak a few years back

The Cougars definitely have an offensive line problem. Everything they want to do on that side of the ball is keyed by that group of five players, and they are failing miserably in the run game so far this season. When Kalani Sitake was asked in the post-game about what was wrong, he said if he knew he would tell the media. And that he might ask them what they thought was wrong.

How would we know? We’re just a bunch of writers who have seen hundreds of college football games. The poor numbers are pretty hard to miss.

Sitake has pretty much repeated every game that the opponent is committing to stop the run. Of course, they are. They look at the video from previous games and it’s pretty apparent they can dominate the line of scrimmage.

Is that an indictment of the players’ execution or exposure of a scheme that isn’t working?

Is it fixable? Man, I just don’t know. There are no holes to run through. There are consistently defenders running free on BYU’s side of the ball and hitting running backs before they can get started. Tough to make any headway. On Saturday, both Kingsley Suamataia and Weylin Lapuah0 were sidelined because of injury.

Nevada ran for 158 yards last week against Kansas. You don’t think the Jayhawks committed to stopping the Wolfpack’s running game?

If you want to be competitive in the Big 12, the one place you can’t get overwhelmed is on the line of scrimmage, and right now the BYU offensive line looks completely overwhelmed in the run game. A number for you: Removing sacks,

from Darnell’s head…
Me, " Fire Funk!

If you have good talent at RB, the OL IS THE RUN GAME. We have very good talent at RB, so that means this is the worst BYU OL we have ever seen. Is it the coaching? The players? Both? I keep hearing announcers talk about how the transfer guys need time to mesh, etc. That’s complete BS. These guys have been practicing together since March. Some objective numbers to consider:

Kansas run D this year:
Missouri State (FCS) 74 yards, 2.7ypc
Illinois (decent D, bad offense) 139 yards, 5.0ypc
Nevada (objectively one of the worst D1 teams) 143 yards, 3.6ypc
BYU 22yards, 0.4ypc

Kansas had been very average vs the run coming into this game.

Spot on. It’s frustrating that no matter what league we are in or independent the refs are still not really fair. However, Kansas had more Penalties and major ones.
The “hit” absolutely should have been reviewed. It was stated on BYUSN that Kingston was hit in the chin. The position on film says it could not be helmet to helmet. But, the shoulder was a high hit and would have been called if reviewed.
The arm pin was seen by the one lady ref looking at it. She froze.

Chris I should have read your message before I just posted pretty much the same thing Darnell wrote…bottom line is we have never seen this level of failure in the BYU running game. We have seen LJM’s talent and this is not his fault. We have an NFL tackle, we have Pay, who I thought played at near All American level last year. We have 2 multi year P5 starters who transferred in. Keim was also really good last year. This feels like a coaching debacle to me.

1 Like

When the schedule came out I predicted Ws vs SHSU and So Utah, and a split of the road games at Ark and at KU. So far so good. I’m hoping we can win two of the next 3: Cincy at home, at TCU, and TT at home. If so, we will be 5-2 and one win vs WVU, ISU, and OSU and we are bowl eligible. If we go 1-2 in the next 3, we would need to take 2 of the 3 remaining “winnable” games (WVU, ISU, and OSU). Anything better than that and I’ll be impressed. Anything less and I will be disappointed and wondering how Kalani could not win 6 games in a down year for the league. BUT: we looked like the least talented team in both road games, and I think that will be the case in almost every if not every game remaining on our schedule.

By the way, watch BYUSN today and listen to Trevor Matich. He state “clean hit.” And while stating this the program was showing the hit again and it was the best angle and clearly no helmet contact.
Kingston said he was hit in the chin. So, I’m with others who think it should have been reviewed because even a shoulder that high I think is still a penalty.
One other point, Matich also said that it was a freshman mistake for Kingston to lead with the sternum straight up. As I said, he didn’t cover after more blocking mistakes.

I think Cinn is a better run D team???

Hopper actually got one right, Lady refs can’t make a call

ket it go hopper, You get stuck on one thing and we hear about it for days

Why is Martin or smill not headed to the flats after a block, make Cinn earn every down. A little flair out would get 5-8 yds every play.

That’s kinda where Im lookin

Come on Fish. I’m responding to Floyd as he responds to me. Just like you and Larimer are doing. The game was only Saturday.

Tom,
This is a very simple look at the targeting rule:
"The targeting rule prohibits players from making forcible contact against an opponent with the CROWN of the helmet, which the NCAA defines as “the portion of the helmet above the level of the top of the facemask."

If you look at my post: Post KU game thoughts - #25 by Floyd_Edwards

You will see that Bryant’s head is clearly down and first contact was with the crown of the helmet.

Hope that helps.

Matich is a former player and commentator, neither has been trained to understand the rules, especially the targeting rule (why each conference calls it differently)

I personally think that Conner Pay should be the Center and Maile the Guard…

How do you see it?

Also, about the line:
Keim came into the second half of the Arkansas game and low and behold, better protection and running.

Then the next week, #76 (Eiteinne) is still the starter! WHY?