Prediction Time...new coaching staff

Today, the twitter-verse has been silent about BYU head coaching predictions. There is a reason for this. My hunch is that the position has been filled, and they are working out the details. Therefore, let’s play a game. What is your speculation?

New Head Coach:
New OC
New DC
Which coaches stay
Where does Taysom Hill play next season:

My Prediction:

New Head Coach: Sitake
New OC: Steve Sarkisian
New DC: Justin Ena
Which coaches stay: Beck, 2J, Kafusi, Popinga
Where does Taysom Hill play next season: Harvard

What is your prediction?

Harvard? I’m cool with that.

I’m inline with you. Although the Navy coach is still a possibility. I was thinking about Sarkisian too. I’m speculative because of his issues and he’s not a member. But, if he can do it, YES!

Sarkisian will not have a better place to rebuild his career than Provo, especially with another potential Heisman winner under center. It’s as far removed from his problem as he can get.

Ena seems like a logical choice, he is at Utah now, but has been a DC at the FCS level.

I agree about Sark. He’s got some baggage and will the school and brethren give him the shot. It would benefit BYU if he can make it happen.

Nope don’t agree-SARK or Sitake. Sitake only if Anae stays as OC and I can’t see that happening > Would love to see Steve Young, but he hasn’t been coaching, but would be great for recruiting and as good as Detmer. Love the Navy head coach and the Seahawks or Stanford’s OC. Hard to say_a lot depends on the Anae situation.

Unless Anae is the head coach, Anae won’t affect the decision one bit…Anae will most likely be looking for something else to do

BYU is not in a position to make an offer to someone like Steve Young or Ty Detmer who have no college coaching experience. That would either be a gimmicky move or a desperation move or a risky move. A team that has been to 11 consecutive bowl games doesn’t need to make a desperation move. A team that sells 56,000+ tickets to every game doesn’t need to make a gimmick hire. A team that is hoping for an invite to a P5 conference can’t afford a risky hire.

BYU needs a coach who will take them to the next level. To that end, they need a solid recruiter, which is something that Bronco Mendenhall lacked. BYU needs to get back to where they are the top destination for LDS kids in Utah. All things considered, Sitake is the best person they can hire at this time.

Bevell would be an excellent choice as well if that’s your criteria. He’s taken lots of top Utahans to Stanford. Whoever is willing to take on the responsibilities requires will be the right choice.

My Prediction:

New Head Coach: Sitake
New OC: Ty Detmer
New DC: Ena
Which coaches stay: Beck, 2J, Kafusi, Holliday
Where does Taysom Hill play next season: Cincinnati…for the Bengals. Marvin Lewis will take a chance on the fellow ex-Pocatellan. Taysom will decide to turn pro.

You know Edwards was not the greatest x and o football coach. He brought in good assistants and knew how to manage players and assistants and the press. I don’t think you are going to pry Detmer out of Texas. And Bevell and Stanford-well you lost me there Grasshopper. Ah well-we will probably see after the Army/Navy game. Lastly- recruiting at Navy is nothing like recruiting anywhere else-you are pretty well stuck with what you get-so great coaching is the key at any service academy.

There is no way that Sarkisian, a non-member with a public alcohol problem, will be hired at BYU. And I don’t think Bevell is coming. I think it will between Anae, the Navy coach, and perhaps the Stanford DC. But if Anae is not selected, he will probably bolt.

New Head Coach:
New OC
New DC
Which coaches stay
Where does Taysom Hill play next season:

My Prediction:

New Head Coach: Sitake or Kyle Whittingham
New OC: Steve Sarkisian
New DC: Justin Ena
Which coaches stay: Beck, 2J, Kafusi, Popinga
Where does Taysom Hill play next season: Va.

What is your prediction?

DN just announced RA is going to uva

RU: Your picks are looking pretty good except for Beck.

HC: Sitake
OC: Detmer
DC: Kafusi
Taysom: Michigan

1 Like

I guess I was wrong about Beck and 2J. My worry is that if the new hire is Nuimatalolo that Tanner Mangum will transfer. At least if he goes to the U or to Boise State, or another FBS program, he will have to sit out a year.

Maybe and maybe not. We are a forgiving church. However, with the HC it is a stretch.

I don’t think so. Mangum will stay.

Yes, but forgiveness of the individual does not include hiring someone into a public high profile position, who clearly is not living the honor code. The Church is very sensitive to misconduct. Not only can I guarantee you that he will not be hired – his name will not even be brought up in any hiring discussions. If he straightened his life out and was sober for 2+ years, then maybe. But definitely not when he is still in the news.