Rev. Dewey Gray speaks

Really Devmo
Sounds like you just want to stir things up. Just because someone is of one faith or another does not make them better then or worse then another. Everyone has a place at my table…everyone. I stop and help my brother or sister when they need help. As my father did.

I have a gay son. He is no longer a member and will never come back to the church because there is no room for him in the Mormon church but even he sees the good that the Mormon church and all churches do to lend a helping hand to those in need. If you are going to throw a blanket across the entire Mormon religion because of the actions of a few people, then I would say, you have the problem.

That is because you were raised by good parent’s. Having family from the south, I can tell you that many blacks faced the same crap you did because of my family.

I do believe there are racist members who were being classified as “Good Mormons”.

So that is a matter of perspective of what a good member is.

I very seldom if ever view anything Scott posts as beliefs of the LDS Church.
Chris on the other hand has had many trials in his family and life that helps his perspective be the way he is.

I dont always agree with his points all the time, but I respect him.

Here is the issue, my father grew up in a small mormon town in southern utah. His father died when he was teenager. Something happened that my dad never darkened the church doors again.

That is what most city members do not understand about small town mormon communities, especially in Idaho and Utah, They are judgmental and vindictive.

I have learned because of my family activities and how members treated us, that the Gospel of Christ is perfect in all ways, the Church is run by men and therefore imperfect.

You need to separate them. You go to church because that is where God wants you to be. But remember that people are imperfect.

Read Elder Uchtdorf talk on the subject.

Just my view.

I don’t believe that is true Chris. Whatever happened seems to be unfortunate but I don’t believe that statement is true. I believe there is room in the Lord’s church for him. It probably isn’t within the same group of people who mistreated or misjudged him but there is room.

Apparently you didn’t catch that I grew up being called Jew Boy and lots of other things. I have the same perspective your sister has. The difference is that I didn’t let that cloud my times growing up when I received visions and understandings through the Holy Ghost. This prepared me when I heard the true Gospel preached in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I understood that the Jewish traditions and some teachings were wrong. Your sister isn’t able to do the same. I know gay members who are married and have had rich and successful happy lives because the stuck with the true Gospel taught in the true Church. There’s a book called “Born that Way.” Read it and have your sister read it. Heck, there were women professors teaching at BYU back in the 70’s that I know were lesbians. But they kept the commandments and held Temple Recommends their entire lives. So, for you to say the Church doesn’t have a clear understanding is completely false.

As far as the other stuff, I think you are making a lot of that up. Yes, there are bad people everywhere. Sin is real and people are imperfect. That has nothing to do with the true Gospel and it’s truth. You are just and have been looking for a way out and self justify yourself. Hopefully you get in your knees and ask Father in Heaven without a double mind what is true.

The United States of America is a representative republic. The USA has never been a perfect system of government, just the best that has ever been designed, in the history of the world.

My father, a non-member well into my adult years, would be judged racist by 99% of so-called “experts” on the subject, yet he treated all blacks (that I know of) with respect an REQUIRED that my brother and I act in the same manner. I would have had my butt blistered if I had disrespected any black (or any) adult. Yet my father was a wild teen and young adult who was a true southern redneck.

The label “racist” is just a epithet tossed around to disparage someone who has ideas about race the labeler disagrees with. Everyone, including Devm and me, is judgmental, often at the expense of other person(s).

If Devm is so bitter about the Church and also posters on this board, then let him go his own way and God’s peace go with him.

On the other hand, leave the 99 and go after the 1. God’s commandments and policies allowed by His Church have never been easy. In Moses time, the Priesthood was limited to one lineage of Israel, the Levites. The other 11 tribes were unable to hold the Aaronic Priesthood. Perhaps that is why those tribes struggled keeping the commandments and were eventually let go by God carried away out of Israel to join with the Gentiles until the last days. They wanted the Priesthood and made idols and created their own religions. Judah and half of Benjamin stayed in the southern section of Israel for another 100 years before being carried away. They repented and were returned for a time to Judah and Jerusalem. Only by way of Genealogy were they able to return to Judah with their Priesthood. So, we know many were also of the tribe of Levi too.

Many blacks today are still bitter for the restrictions on the Priesthood and Temple attendance. While many others are greatful for their blessings they receive and the work that they do for their ancestors. The Church definitely had racists in the early years mainly in the South. However, many still accepted the Gospel and began the process of making the better change over time. Entire generations had to pass to eliminate the racist feelings. This didn’t mean the Church could not be established and through time evolve to where we were in 1978. The Israelites of old had to wander generations before eliminating the past so they could inherit the land of Israel that had been prepared. Time is short to hold grudges when the vast majority of members don’t hate blacks.

As far as homosexuality, it was a sin in Moses day. It was a sin in Christ’s day as he said he did not come to change the Law. It was a sin in Paul’s day as specified in Romans Chapter 1 and other places in the New Testament. And, it is still a sin in our days as spoken by the Prophets of God to the people of the Earth. People are taught to hate others who look different. It’s not in our DNA. People are taught to sin by their environment including same sex feelings. It can happen from a very early age experience. Even impressions seen by others. We are biologically male and female. If there is by some chance abnormalities, as I’ve posted before, others have overcome their challenge and remain faithful to the commandments of the Lord. If God wants to make changes, He will let the Prophet know. Not some prejudiced religious leader who rejects the commandments of God and does their own thing for the imitation Gospel of social justice. God never said life would be easy. He just said it would be worth it.

I guess you and everyone else agrees with me…