Scheduling FCS teams is Counterproductive for any/all reasons

Right on Floyd E, you siad it well, right on.

SG: Your post about Sunday play is “St-u-ped.” BYU is BYU. We are NOT going to play Sunday games period. I never said we would or should play on Sunday. In football, so far Sunday games are not a big factor. Also if you remember, the WCC changed their entire Sunday conference schedule to accommodate BYU’s no Sunday play.
If no Sunday play keeps BYU out of P-5 then it is not in the BYU DNA or standards to play in a P-5 conference.

Another prejudice against BYU is us winning the mythical “National Championship” in 1984. Bo and Barry hated us for it. But it was the system in 1984.

aro: BYU is pretty much forced into playing at least one FCS team a year because we don’t get many return games to Provo with P-5 teams on our schedule like Notre Dame and others. Fortunately Texas and Miss.State came to Provo to play. ND reigned twice on our deal with them.

I believe it was Stanford and not San Jose State.
Not sure what your rant was about. I’m simply saying that over the past 40-50 years, the bigotry question in basketball just isn’t a factor.

The WCC is different than the P5’s. The schools in the WCC are religious based schools and were easily persuaded to give up Sunday play. The P5 would not do the same as they are mostly secular. Can you wrap that around your head?

Thanks Roy,

When I finally got around to reading this post, I was going to mention this same thing. You did a much better job than I would have done. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about the BYU seedings in the NCAA basketball tourney’s, both men and women? What about our unseeded National Runner-Up Women’s volleyball team last year? The only “non-seeded” team ever to make the Final match.
Didn’t our BYU Women volleyballers deserve at least a match or two at home in their 2014 NCAA run? We shall see what happens this NCAA season.

Aro,

I commend Holmoe for programming Nebraska, UCLA, MIchigan, and Missouri. I agree that Boise State is an excellent choice for a non P5 team to be played.

I find not much fault with the programming of East Carolina, Cincinnati, or even Utah State.

I think we could get away with programing UCON which is a weak team with a decent name recall.

My issue is with programing teams that can only degrade us while doing nothing to uplift us like Fresno State, San Jose State, and by far the worst, that totally destroys our SOS, the FCS # below 255, winless, Wagner team.

Dan,

Excellent suggestions. Thank you.

I do wish that the NCAA would come out and say exactly what you suggest,
" FCS wins don’t count towards bowl eligibility". They have already said that a stronger SOS will take president over a weaker SOS.

The Big 12, with only 10 teams, was told this week, that each team in the Big 12 MUST play at least one other P5 team among their non conference games in order to qualify for consideration in any P4 playoffs SOS does count.

Last season, #3 and #4 in the nation, and Big 12 conference co champions, TCU and Baylor was kept out of the P4 play offs because of weaker SOS and #5 Ohio State was able to leap frog over them and into the play offs because of their stronger SOS. Ohio State won the NC. SOS does count.

The Big 12 and all the teams mentioned by Roy are already P5 conference teams. We are not. We are trying to become one but not willing to pay the price of SOS, however, we are doing much better in 2015 and becoming very close with our 2016 schedule. We still have 3 more P5 teams on our schedule to get us where we should be if we have no FCS teams on it.

I admire Roy for wanting to stick up for our programing and say all the right things in support of our system. I really do respect this, however, Roy appears to not know the difference between a FCS team and a division 1 team.

Lowly FCS teams mentioned by Roy above:

MWC Hawaii: Not FCS; MAC Western Michigan: Not FCS; C-USA RICE: NOT FCS; MAC Eastern Michigan: Not FCS; C- USA Western Kentucky: Not FCS; MAC Central Michigan: Not FCS; C-USA Middle Tenn: Not FCS;
Sun Belt Louisiana Monroe: Not FCS; University of Central Florida, (UCF) is one on the power houses of the G5 conference teams: Not FCS; MAC Massachusetts; Not FCS C-USA North Texas: Not FCS;

Sorry Roy, but before knocking someone that is trying to suggest ways to help BYU get into a P5 conference, be sure that you know what you are taking about.

ssskb3,

You seem to know about as much regarding football as Roy. Congratulations!!!

Please read my reply post to Dan_Snow regarding Roy’s FCS team examples played by P5 teams.

Aro,

You are quoting correctly that which was told to us Thank you.

Do you remember the excuses given to us when we scheduled Idaho, Idaho State, Weber State, Savanna State, and Wagner? It is always for a good reason. Just say no.

Now, for the 2016 season, we have schedule FCS Southern Utah. This time is great improvement in that we are given no excuse except that with the tough schedule that we have, we need an easy win. Now that is honest. It’s still an FCS team, but at least ---- or well, you fill in the blanks.

I would like to give Roy, some back handed credit. Use one of those teams that he thinks is FCS and play them instead of the real FCS teams and that will serve the same purpose without having the FCS tag on it that cripples us when looking for respect.

dew,

To answer you question, what do we do about our tough 2016 schedule that needs a breather with a weaker team, I suggest that you choose almost any team from Roys list above that he thinks is FCS but indeed is not. See my reply to
Dan_Snow below regarding Roy’s list.

Roy provides a good list to choose from instead of choosing a FCS team.

Ron, can you read, if not get someone to read for you. I posted: “2015 SEC FOOTBALL SCHEDULE OF FCS OR LOW RANKING SCHOOLS - NOT COUNTING THE SEC BOTTOM FEEDERS:” OR LOW RANKING SCHOOLS - Do you get it Ron, OR LOW RANKING SCHOOLS. I say again: OR LOW RANKING SCHOOLS. You want the gloves off, fine. You post like a fool and argue like you are God Almighty, knowledgeable far beyond any other poster, it’s a wonder you deem to even communicate with us mere mortals. You are a joke dude, a good many of us are laughing at you. I know I got some more rounds to go, just keep acting like a jerk. BTW, I eat this stuff up. I LOVE arguing or going the rounds, honed my skills dealing for 35 years with alcohol and other drug addicts. For those of you who think I am angry, no but energized, like drinking 3 20 oz. bottles of Mountain Dew in 30 minutes. Man I am jacked up. So lets go some more, any time, any place, any subject. :laughing:

Roy,

ha, ha, ha, you are funny!
Read your own post. It is you that can not even understand what it is that you are writing,

You are referring to my post that says “NO MORE FCS SCHOOLS”
No where in your post, do you say, “or other low level schools”
Next you post low level schools that are not FCS, and YOU, roy, call me illiterate… Funny.

" Or low ranking schools" Ha, ha, ha. and you tell me that i can’t read??? you are truly a special gift from someone.
Below, I quote your entire post that is reference to my “Just say no to FCS Schools.”

Lets look at the current top ten and some of the “top notch” teams they have played / scheduled:
OHIO STATE - Hawaii and Western Michigan
BAYLOR - Lamar and Rice
CLEMSON - Wolford and Appalachian State
LSU - McNeese State, Eastern Michigan and Western Kentucky
TCU - Stephen F. Austin
MICHIGAN STATE - Western Michigan and Central Michigan
ALABAMA - Middle Tennessee, Charleston Southern, Univ. La. Monroe
STANFORD - University Central Florida
NORTRE DAME - Massachusetts
IOWA - Illinois State and North Texas

Man, how tragic their SOS is ruined, just awful.

Ha, ha, ha. Roy, it would be far better for us to be friends and appreciate each others difference of opinion than to
have name calling and other insulting remarks. One once said that anyone that can not disagree intelligent without name calling is an idiot. Who said that Roy ???
"

Ron, below has been cut and pasted from my post way above. Read, if you can, the top 2 lines, the part that is capitalized (just as it is in my original post). What does it say Ron. Where I gre you don’t call a man a liar, unless you have damned good proof. I can keep the friendly fire going for the next 25 years, at least. And step it up beyond that, if needed. You’re the one who really started throwing shade. It looks like you want to keep it going so I’m waiting. Why don’t we go to the off topics list so as not to burden the rest of the fellas though.

Roy

You are taking things out of context by putting a quote from one post and pretending it to ba a quote from the different post of yours that was a reply to my “Just say no to FCS teams” I cut and paste your reply to just say no to FCS teams.
" Lets look at the current top ten and some of the “top notch” teams they have played / scheduled:"

Some of your other less than polite, and insulting post to me include:(cut and paste)’
Ron, can you read, if not get someone to read for you.
You post like a fool and argue like you are God Almighty,
You are a joke dude,
just keep acting like a jerk.
honed my skills dealing for 35 years with alcohol and other drug addicts.
Man I am jacked up.

Father, forgive him, for he know not what he says.
I forgive you Roy
Your fighting vocabulary is like a 3rd grader. That’s probably not your fault. You seem to have the little man/big man syndrom working on you.

Enjoy the holidays. I won’t be posting here anymore. If I stay, you may be capable of bringing out undesirable posting that I do not want to be involved in. My posting is for the love of my BYUClugars and wanting them to achieve all that they are capable of achieving. I do not post to hear your insults.

Sincerely, Ron

Happy trails to you