Speaking of next year

what’s even more crazy is that Gavman has started to make some sense.

I think part of the reason Davis lineups were not as effective is that he is usually in against the better players. I would guess that Kaufusi and Chatman play more minutes when the subs for the other team are playing. I am giving Davis the benefit of the doubt here because I still maintain that he wasn’t nearly as effective as some believed he would be. I remember him having a 20 rebound game early in the season and somebody said he would be a beast the rest of the way…

He just seemed to play less confident and intimidated in the paint as the season wore on. Too many little flip shots instead of going to the basket with authority. Too many attempted layups instead of dunking the ball. I’m not sure why… maybe it was the focus on guard play and KC’s triple doubles. BYU needed more balance this past season with inside and out.

As I wrote at the end of 2014-15. Will we be better? We had to replace Haws PPG and Free Throw percentage. Emery and Saljaas along with Fischer were more then enough to replace Haws PPG but not his FT %. Was BYU better? I believe they were but their FT% cost us somewhere around 7 games and that was the difference between playing in the Dance and winning the WCC outright. Summation: BYU was the best team in the WCC but the two players that got fouled the most (KC and Davis) cost us plenty.

The same question for next season…Will BYU be better?
@ shooting guard? about the same because BYU was extremely good and I expect that to continue.
@ point? loaded question, KC unstoppable, but poor at the line. Emery, TJ and Bryant will be all good.
@ small forward? We don’t need no stinking SF, we are BYU, what’s a SF? All jesting aside, Childs or Dastrup will be killers at either the strong or small forward spot. I like Hartsock there but in reality Rose will use plenty of 3 guard, even 4 guard lineups.
@ strong forward? Davis will start but give ground to an athletic Childs/Dastrup.
@ Center? Kaufusi and Mika will both be monsters.

BYU will be much better at post and from the FT line. It just depends on if our fabulous freshmen can come along.

I’ve said when you are right, which you are most of the time, I’ll say it. :slight_smile:

Well, here’s an interesting argument from Vanquish the Foe on our speculation.

Their assessment is that Davis, Emery, Chatman, Kaufusi, and Bryant will be the starters on day one. But that will change to a Lone Peak plus two by the end.

VTF also contends that BYU lacks a small foreward and that is a Major problem for BYU. I disagree and here’s way:
Rose plays a 3 guard rotation, has forever, so why change now. We have played for years without a strong forward, that was a major problem by my estimates and finally BYU has 5 guys that can play that position, something we have never had. Childs, Dastrup, Davis will eat up all the time with Shaw and Aytes hoping for injuries and a chance.

The real problem going forward is too many guys for the minutes. Shaw and Aytes will have to transfer

Aytes already ate up a year transferring to BYU. He can’t do it again if he wants a shot at playing. What he can do is work a lot harder at getting better in the off season.
Shaw might transfer as well as Hamson. Hamson hopefully has worked hard because you can’t teach 7’".
The problem with the 3 guard rotation without a rebounder like KC is we get eaten up on the boards. Hopefully, with Mika back, we will do much better.
Unless Kaufusi develops more shots including midrange, Mika will start. Davis will be better next year.

Davis will be better next year at what?

Poor FT rate and even poorer at passing. Meanwhile, have a look at Payton Dastrup’s passing abilities…his low post moves and his shot.

Then look at Y Child’s highlights…then tell me how much better Davis, a senior will fare against these two ESPN top 100 recruits.

You need to do some homework before you talk to me about how good Davis will be. His only saving grace is that Rose loves Seniors.

And why is Tom Holmoe suddenly tweeting about “Sweet 16s” and “Final 4s”

I thought Davis was supposed to progress as the year wore on…

I didn’t see it. Why would he get that much better next year? Is something going to happen between now and next season that will help him improve?

Right on Jim H. The BYU hype machine is always there every year.

Best summation of the conference season I’ve seen this year.

You have to realize that the highlights are against short slow white players :wink: with that said, yes, both players look like great recruits. But, they do have to get experience against bigger, quicker and talented players.
What I like is that it appears they can make layups and shoot well. Also see the floor. Mika has played a year and so has Emery. They will be two solid players to be surrounded by up and coming talented players.
I like the fact there will be competition for playing time. If Davis improves his short shot and FT, he will still start. I’m interested to see how Kaufusi handles this. Will he make big strides and be the starting 5 with Mika at the power forward. Should be interesting.

I also would not be suprised to see TJ starting. We will have a true point guard and that will make a huge difference. Another huge difference will be the inside game. With this team, is they grow as a team and play team ball, double teams will not work. About 10 games into the season you will get a glimpse of just how good this team can be. I just smile at the potential when I think the thought of " if these guys can learn to play as a team." There is going to be serious celebrating at my house this next year. Killer instinct is a coming.
Jeff

If he’s as good as they say he is, he should start. They take 4 and 5 stars at Duke, Kentucky and elsewhere and start them.

Now that Kaufusi is playing football in the fall, he will miss several of the pre-season games in basketball. I don’t expect to see Corbin start next year. Yes, he won’t be available to start the first several games anyway but I would wager that he doesn’t play any bigger role next year than this year. Look for Mika and Dastrup to play major roles next season. Corbin will probably play more against Gonzaga since he should match up well with Karnowski. Other than that, I don’t think he will play significantly more minutes next year.

If Hamson and Shaw progress enough, he won’t play much at all in both football and basketball. Too bad dad is influencing a poor decision. I hope he canals the best of it because he seems to be a great young man.

Sorry… I missed this one. What is it that you hope he “canals”? The best of what?

Ya, the automatic correction makes things interesting. I just hope he can handle both.

It would be great if it would correct more… for a couple of reasons.

1. Your posts would be easier to understand.
  2. They would be right more often.

Fortunately, I am like the “automatic correction” here and I can help fix posts like yours and Harolds when necessary. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I do most of my posts from the Iphone. You mostly from your computer :slight_smile: I catch most of them but sometimes it just happens. So, we need perfect people like yourself to help us out :see_no_evil:

“I remember Eric as a kid who was 18 years old and was an absolute monster for our team and stepped up when we needed him” @AnsonWinder20

So apparently Anson Winder thinks Mika will contribute quite a bit to the team. I agree and I think he has way more upside than Davis did or does now. I think the comparable stats between Davis and Mika can be tossed out the window. Mika is a difference maker, Davis made very little impact this past year.

Mika - aggressive, physical, intimidating, athletic and “steps up when you need him to”

Davis - plays soft, misses easy shots, not intimidating, mostly unathletic and disappears in the clutch.

Now I will admit that a lot of this comes about depending on who a player is on the floor with. I think Davis played with some selfish players, while I think Mika was utilized and fit better with the guys he played with.

Just my opinion…

1 Like