State of BYU Sports

Football is treading water, no end in site for a P5 conference alignment.
Basketball is still a one and done BBALL program. What is the highest ranking in the WCC so far? tied for 2nd?
Baseball just got rolled in the WCC baseball tournament…

Is THIS they type of teams we want?

I am seriously deflated in wanting to watch BYU sports next year… Just I can say “We have accomplished being mediocre in all sports, but we have exposure for the church, isn’t that what this is all about?”

Sorry, my enthusiasm for BYU football and some Basketball and Baseball is waning…

1 Like

If this is what matters to you in being a fan, then here is a list of other teams you can pick from. Just be warned, pretty much all of them are mediocre.

Air Force
Akron
Alabama
Appalachian State
Arizona
Arizona State
Arkansas
Arkansas State
Army
Auburn
Ball State
Baylor
Boise State
Boston College
Bowling Green
Buffalo
California
Fresno State
UCLA
UCF
Central Michigan
Cincinnati
Clemson
Colorado
Colorado State
Connecticut
Duke
Eastern Michigan
East Carolina
Florida
Florida Atlantic
FIU
Florida State
Georgia
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
Georgia Tech
Hawai’i
Houston
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Kent State
Kentucky
LSU
Louisiana Tech
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Monroe
Louisville
Marshall
Maryland
Massachusetts
Memphis
Miami (FL)
Miami (OH)
Michigan
Michigan State
Middle Tennessee
Minnesota
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Missouri
Navy
Nebraska
Nevada
UNLV
New Mexico
New Mexico State
North Carolina
NC State
North Texas
NIU
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Ohio
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Old Dominion
Oregon
Oregon State
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Purdue
Rice
Rutgers
San Diego State
San Jose State
South Alabama
South Carolina
South Florida
USC
SMU
Southern Miss
Stanford
Syracuse
Temple
Tennessee
Texas
Texas A&M
TCU
Texas State
Texas Tech
UTEP
UTSA
Toledo
Troy
Tulane
Tulsa
Utah
Utah State
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Washington
Washington State
West Virginia
Western Kentucky
Western Michigan
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Good luck.

Clueless, head in the sand fan post. Keep your donations coming. All is well, all is well

Welcome to the club, we need more fans to remove the blue goggles and see the failures the program as a whole has met with Indy and WCC membership. We are a shell of our former self, we need more fans to be vocal about their displeasure.

Well KC, we shall see come football season. Is the fluff all about Blue Goggles and hype, or will the football team step up? By the way the BYU women won the WCC in basketball, volleyball, and softball, and maybe more.
Start rooting for those Cougar women guys.

thanks for confirming what I posted. And the fact that our women’s sports are the highlight of the program since Indy and WCC, again just shows how far we have fallen as a program.

I love your response Dan… but the fact of the matter is BYU football and basketball has become medicore.

At least under Lavell, I had a feeling that BYU had a chance to win the game… With Anae playing calling… I look for BYU to shoot themselves in the foot these days…

So, what has been so different over the past 50 years? I don’t think BYU will sell their souls to cheat like other schools do. It would be nice for a miracle from above to see another national championship or getting to the final 4 the right way. Baseball has never been elite. So, I’m not worried about that one.

Shell??? Honestly…Clueless you are…

You don’t have to cheat to win Scott… you have to hire good affective coaches (assistants) who A) know what they are doing and B) knows how to teach it to the players…

Some of our past great Assistants:
Roger French - Oline the feared coach of the “French Legion”
Doug Scovil - OC - manage to take the play book and twist it just enough to make it work for the players they had…
Norm Felt = DC - His defensive backs were some of the most feared… That included Todd Shell, Krut Govieva and Tom Holmoe.
Ted Tolner - the OC that helped Steve Young become the player he was.
Fred Whittingham - DC best defensive team we have ever had…

Current coaches I feel could be this way:
Tuejay - Oline - Trying to bring back the French mentality
Halliday - WR coach… proven in the past he could help this group…
The new Weight and conditioning coach

Anae? No… can not seem to adjust to anything during the game
Howell? No… we saw what he did to the once vaunted Bronco Defense
There may be others/…

Where did I say we have to cheat to win? I never said that. Reading comprehensions again?

I am with you Floyd. Good points, especially about good, great, and not so good coaches in football and for that matter basketball too. I see Littlewood rebuilding a winning program again in baseball. Look at Rugby, a club sport, but we get the best polys and other rugger from all over the world. Now that is coaching at its beat.

Right here…Is where you said it… I added “to win” which was implied by you comment…

The point Scott was that BYU has become irrelevant in College football, I believe because Bronco seems to hire Irrelevant coaches (i.e. Not very good coaches in Key Positions)…

Sometimes you don’t know until after they are hired. Doesn’t mean BYU is irrelevant. I disagree!

Brandon Doman and Nick Howell are just two lame brain hires Bronco has made…

Are you telling me that he could not see that both these men had no clue what they were doing when they took their Coordinators positions?

Like I said, hind sight is 20-20. Some young coaches work out and others don’t.

name one coach in College football that succeed as an OC with very little experience (less than 3 yrs) and became an OC?

Can’t do it… because “Normal” coaches don’t make a coach with 3 yrs. experience a OC or DC…

Lame question. Tell me, how would anyone find out the answer to such a rediculous question?

You can’t answer Scott because no coach in his right mind would do it (Well except Bronco)…

Bronco should have gone out and posted the position for Coaches to apply… then interviewed them… Unlike what Bronco did and simply “promoted” an inexperienced coach to that level of coaching…

No coach promotes from within? Of course they do. That’s silly Floyd. But once again you expect the rediculous and then generalize. :confounded: