Surprise: Clark Barrington Transfers

Utah hasn’t played its bowl. I believe many who would like to transfer are interested in taking part in the Rose Bowl festivities. Insofar as the Barringtons are concerned: Funk may be good (that’s the hope), but Grimes is elite (that’s the reality).

Of all the BYU players that entered the Portal, the Barringtons, Romney, and Fano are the real losses. It would have been nice to have Pili back for his Grad year. Connover remains an enigma. He never got a shot at BYU, but it’ll be interesting to see if he or Drew Pyne emerges as the Man for ASU.

One other note, last year when the portal wasn’t as active for all schools as it is this year, Utah had 14 players enter the portal and BYU had 10. Utah still had a decent 2022 season.

The portal is chaos and too many kids want instant gratification and they view the portal as the means to get it. I don’t think in many cases it benefits the players, or the schools. The portal
and uil are ruining college sports. For all of the issues
there were before I think the way things were pre portal and uil were better. The NCAA needed to make a few changes to benefit student athletes but making college sports essentially professional with free agency wasn’t the answer. Amateur athletics on the college level is dead.

Agreed.

I also don’t want to sound like I’m a Pollyana and I’m glad that players are transferring. The offense showed substantial problems during the season, but those weaknesses were largely ignored because the defense played so incompetently.

Ok guys a piece of really good news:

Five star and ALL the big boys were after him! :joy:

1 Like

What’s his position? Doesn’t say in the article.

Waiting to see who our QB is before I can even think of W/L next year.

Mateos/Grimes are a big upgrade. If you want to play in the NFL, right? Whitt, if you want to play defense. In the months leading up to spring, the truth will come out. Did anyone see the Lohner playing for Baylor is a bit of a let down. Should of stayed

Sounds like we beat out Alabama and many others for a 5 star lineman recruit. Hill must be doing something right.

He is a defensive lineman (Says in the article header).

rumors were that he was a bit home sick… Not sure if that is true, but a friend of mine who is big into basketball said that is what was going around at the time.

My concern is that Kalani will be like he was with Tuiaki, that he will let his friendship with A-Rod blind himself to see that BYU offense is mediocre at best. That several of the position coaches are not really that good (like Funk). The only reason that BYU was doing as well on offense as it did this year was because of Hall’s ability to be mobile and he is a pretty smart player.

Will Kalani be forced to “see the light”? Time will tell.

1 Like

Home sick equals 1 for 25 from three land and fans getting on him. I know I got tired of the clanking.
He has to know that if he had stayed, a core of Foos, Lohner, waterman, Johnson and Rudi/Hall would of been ranked all year. Wait a minute…Baylor is ranked and they beat Gonzaga. Dang it!

Cone on now, You certainly know Poly culture?
I’ve spent a fair enough amount of time in Samoa, Hawaii, Tonga, and Maori. We are family is an understatement. When you have a cousin come visit. It could be for a few days or 3 months. nobody asks and you are always welcome. In America, you are a cousin just by being Poly.

I play on Poly teams, here in Utah, a group will show up at the Ward gym, if there is no action, they will Church hunt until they find a good game going. 1st thing I will always do, 100%, Never Fail…go up and make friends. Saved me many a fight. one example:

We were playing at the Orem Rec. Some guy shows up all Tatted up. Starts throwing around that he had just been released from prison. He is not from around Utah. starts getting into jawing and pushing… On the next play, Poly gets a break away long pass and is coming in hot from the wing, like he wants to dunk. The Tat guy runs full steam at him, is not going to go for the ball. Poly is not thick but long and built like Tony Fenau, throws his hand up to protect his head cus the Tat guy is there to lay him out. Tat guy runs into Poly’s back hand, not a push or a straight arm, just his back hand. Sounded like an axe on a tree stump. Tat guy is out, stone cold knocked out before his hits the floor.
Everyone stands there for just a second, I grab Poly and say, Take off, we’ll cover for you. Orem Rec calls the cops, it’s their policy for any fighting. They get there as the Tat guy wakes up. Enough people explain what happened and Tat guy gets arrested. If a Poly can’t beat you, four or five will 100% of the time. Always fun-loving good-natured, family is everything, but don’t get on the wrong side. In Utah Valley many go up to Salt Lake to gang bang but are home for church on Sunday. So in answer to your:

[quote=“Floyd_Edwards, post:30, topic:9661”]Kalani will be like he was with Tuiaki, that he will let his friendship with A-Rod
[/quote]

Not the same. ARod not fam.

But Kalani has proven that he is “loyal” to his friends. Which if you are a friend to a poly, then you are just like family.

I had the Samoan ward in our stake when I was first married. We played them in basketball, softball and Volleyball.

My story with the ward was that we were playing them in basketball, a big guy (around 350) comes down the lane and mows me over. As I am laying on the floor, I see this big hand reach out to help up. It was the guy that crashed into me. Laughing, saying “sorry about that, I get this body moving and it really hard to stop sometimes”. I told him, “no problem, I know what he means”.

The other story about this ward was that you never got in front of Polynesian hitting a volleyball… Very painful outcome. :open_mouth:

My favorite story is playing softball, in their ward the women would make pies for the men that hit home runs. Then if there was anything left, they would have a team pie eating time. Then it spread to any guy on either team hit a home run, they got a pie, then was invited to finish off the rest after the game.

1 Like

True He is loyal to a fault. Get the right coaches in there and we happy

I don’t see that this guy, Splat Onomatopoeia, has signed yet. Did he back off his commitment and sign elsewhere?

I think that this is a joke… If you google that name, you will not find anything on him.

1 Like

It’s clear from the whole article, as well as his name, that it is satire.

The video was pee wee / Pop Warner football. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well I fell for it. It sounded too good to be true.

Sorry Ari! With all the sadness of good commits leaving for the U …. I had to throw in a little laughter!!

No problem, once I got over the disappointment it was pretty funny. I should have caught it since the name used is a literary device used in poetry. I missed it and paid no attention to the peewee film. I am a little embarrassed, but more amused.

1 Like