That was really hard to watch

You know how many times we have heard this nonsense over the past several years? I can’t count all of it because I lost track years ago.

It isn’t fine. The LP3 isn’t “fine” or should I say LP4 because for a good portion of the second half there were 4, yes 4 guys on the court from Lone Peak high school. Please… if somebody has information and can tell me that this has ever been the case at any supposed big time Division 1 basketball program, where 4 players from the same high school are playing on the court at the same time for significant minutes, would you please tell us about it? In my opinion it is unprecedented. But there is no lazy recruiting…

So that makes losses to Valpo, Utah Valley Junior College and USC now. Who has BYU beaten this season? Coppin State, Coastal Carolina and Princeton (good thing those were home games) and then St. Louis and Utah St. on neutral courts.

Just so everyone knows, USC was not impressive. They will finish middle of the Pac 12 if they are lucky. I guess I can’t wait for Weber State on wednesday when everyone will be able to tout the LP4 and how awesome they will be next year. I do have a question though… is there a good player at Lone Peak currently that BYU is recruiting? I’m sure having the LP5 would guarantee a run to the final four… after all, they win state championships every year, right? :astonished:

Please stop with the delusional commentary. At one point in the first half BYU had a decent lead and they were defending fairly well. The ball went to the top of the key and both Haws and Emery had defended the USC guy well but then for some inexplicable reason both of them backed away from him, at which point the player looked surprised, hesitated and then made a 3 pointer. Why does that matter? because up to that point USC looked terrible and BYU had a good lead. In the next 2 minutes the same player hit two more 3 pointers and the lead began to evaporate. It was ridiculous! They had him defended and they backed off, he hit the 3 and his confidence was renewed so he hit 2 more. Why, why, why? Emery and Haws gave BYU nothing in the first half and they choked it on defense there, for no good reason. Yeah they both came alive in the second half and their stats didn’t look horrible but it was too late by then so what does it matter?

Mika is the ONLY player for BYU that looks worth his salt right now. Childs shows potential but he is a freshman. Davis had a couple good moves but he didn’t “look good”. Like I said, USC is so so… and they were missing their best scorer who is injured (according to a USC-BYU fan sitting next to us.)

So, in the 2nd half when we tied USC 52-52 with 4 LP on the floor, that wasn’t good enough for you? Maybe go back to LP 2 at a time mostly where we lost the first half 39-32?
USC was very good after the first part of the first half. 42% from 3 and a lot more. No, they will surprise a lot of teams in their conference. That was by far the best talented team we have played. UVU was just hot that night and played way above their pay grade. :slight_smile:

Right, as long as we have a way to still make the NCAA tourney. Haws is going to be good once he gets his confidence and a little more playing experience. Emery is shooting a few % lower than last year. I attribute that to pressing too hard in some possessions and not playing disciplined. He thinks he has to take a bigger role than he needs to at this juncture. Once Haws elevates his game, Emery won’t feel the need to press as hard. I look for Guinn and Bryant to fill solid roles on this team in the next several weeks. Hopefully, we are playing our best ball in six weeks. In the meantime, I hope our inside game can continue to carry us.

If Rose didn’t want him to take a greater role he would be sitting a lot more. Those who think he’s playing hero ball obviously don’t understand that coach is asking him to try to do more at this time.

“Honestly, right out of high school I was kind of bitter towards BYU actually. If you don’t recruit me, I’ll go somewhere else and then I’ll beat you,” Toolson said. “It’s funny because I actually remember telling one of my companions on my mission, ‘I’m going to go to a school, I don’t know where I’m going to go, but I’m going to a school and we’re going to play against BYU and beat them on their home floor.’ He texted me after the game and said, ‘Do you remember when you told me that when we were companions?’ I had forgotten about that.”http://utahvalley360.com/2017/01/03/conner-toolson-finds-the-spotlight-at-uvu/

Should we be blaming Mark Pope (former BYU Assistant) for not looking at him a little more and we would have gotten LP5. I can see Jim Hawks rolling his eyes. Why we got Jake Toolson and not Conner? Why did Jake choose to leave BYU and join Conner next seasonr. Or should we get Conner to transfer to BYU? Anyway, he got his wish and good for him in winning. I would love to have him in BYU uniform now but time to move on and take care for this Thursday game at smc.

Well, yeah… pretty much every kid that goes to Lone Peak thinks they should be getting a scholarship to BYU. I don’t blame them, the odds are pretty good that they will as most of the bench players are walkons or transfers.

Seriously, BYU could have the first team in ncaa history to have all 5 starters coming from the same high school. At least they would be used to playing in “high school” gyms…:neutral_face:

That didn’t help them until the 2nd half. See what happens Thursday. Will BYU come out and play hard and smart from the beginning? That’s always the question.

Yeah, USC surprised Oregon the other night. I’m sure Oregon thought it would be more competitive, considering USC was undefeated. I’ll bet it was surprising how easily Oregon won the game… :astonished: