The mighty Pac 12 is stinking it up

Tom Holmoe is not corrupt.

Tom Holmoe was on the NCAA tournament selection committee.

Tom Holmoe had specific responsibility for covering the PAC12.

The PAC12, is what this thread started about.

It is not corruption that got the PAC12 so many votes.
They played the RPI game better than they played the first round games.
Other conferences have done so in the past.
Other conferences will do so in the future.

Part of what Few was saying to the non-top tier teams in the WCC was that they need to start helping themselves, the conference, and the top tier teams by playing the RPI game better.

Next year, SMC and BYU will play the RPI game better. Gonzaga will continue to play it better than the rest of the conference because with their reputation and past results they can.
Because the SMC and BYU will be playing the game better, and potentially some of the other lower tier teams may listen to Few and do so as well; and because SMC will be returning all their starters; and because BYU will be betterā€“at least according to the head coach and others close to the program; the WCC will once again be a multi bid conference.
They have been a multi bid conference for much of the last ten years.
And they did not do it by being corrupt.
They did it and will do it by playing the game better on the court and in scheduling for better RPIā€¦
Just my opinion of courseā€¦
Iā€™ve been wrong before.
But Iā€™ll be hornswoggled if Tom Holmoe is corrupt.

Well, then heā€™s incompetent in that particular role. Is that okay to say?

Its no big deal, every year the PAC 12 gets killed on opening weekend. It doesnā€™t matter how many teams they get in.
Jeff

Thatā€™s why leagues need to be limited to 3.

PAC12 has one team left NCAA and one team left NIT
WCC has one team left NCAA and two teams left NIT
hmm
guess something changed from ooc to year end tourneysā€¦

In my dreams Gonzaga finally makes a Final Four and SMC BYU play for the NITā€¦with KC going out with the first NIT championship in 50 yearsā€¦

Letā€™s get past Tuesday first. Then we can talk about NIT.
This just shows Iā€™m right about RPI and limiting leagues to 3 in the NCAA Dance.

LOL. . . . . .They say the lol is not descriptive enough so Iā€™ll spell it out
Laugh out Loudā€¦

It is critically important for grasshoppers personality disorder for him to be able to say this. When somebody thinks the world revolves around their opinions and ideas, a comment like this helps to feed the monster. :tired_face:

ā€œWhen somebody thinks the world revolves around their opinions and ideas, a comment like this helps to feed the monster. tired_faceā€

You mean when everyone is required to agree with their conspiracy theories? :alien:

grasshopper: Your idea to limit leagues to 3 teams is kooky. Did you notice the ACC has 6 teams in the Sweet 16? The committee does a good job of evaluating teams and letting the right teams in. Now is the deck stacked against non P-5 teams? Yes, but thatā€™s a different discussion.

2 Likes

Historically speaking, it was the quality of the ACC teams which were not being invited to the dance when other conference championships were that was the root of the decision to look at expanding the field and the eventual outcome of having a selection committee and so on and so onā€¦

ACC is occasionally surpassed in the quality of its teams but not often and not for long. Chase Fisher, HS All American, WCC first team, couldnā€™t even get off the bench on a bad ACC Wake Forest teamā€¦

And so did the PAC-12 and they have one left. The system is kookey. The NCAA is one organization. All leagues should therefore have the same opportunity and no politics. You canā€™t have one part of the equation without other. So, my idea has merit.

Politics, corruption, conspiracyā€¦ itā€™s all tied together.

How do you think the Clintonā€™s, among others, got to where they are now?

Grasshopper only acknowledges problems when the situation doesnā€™t fit his ideal or the way he hopes it is.

Iā€™ve watched a couple of games involving those awesome ACC teamsā€¦ there is certainly some legitimacy to the talent, coaching, etc. of the ACCā€¦

and here comes the ā€œbutā€ā€¦ I watched Duke struggle vs. a decent UNC-Wilmington team until David Hall stepped in and helped the ā€œDookiesā€ with his whistle. Any time one player goes to the free throw line (15-17) as many times as the entire other team (14-19), a red flag needs to be raised. When one team shoots 42 free throws, to their opponents 19, a red flag needs to be raised. I saw the game, there were multiple questionable calls (on replay they were wrong) and they came, for the most part, courtesy of Mr. Hall. That is all I will say. You can draw your own conclusions, but this kind of stuff happens frequently.

Also, when your league has 15 teams in itā€¦ well, there is a lot of material here to discuss.

Here is one of the most revealingā€¦ the first thing that popped up, when I googled ā€œACC basketballā€, says more than anything else.

ā€œBecause no ACC team will face a conference foe in the Sweet 16, itā€™s possible they could all advance to the Elite Eight.ā€ You donā€™t think that is by design?

Larimer, Omer and Hawks rest our case. :smiley:

1 Like

But how does that help the NCAA? It doesnā€™t. This is one year that the ACC happens to be very strong is all. Unless you suggest that the ACC is paying off referees? Again, how does that benefit the NCAA?

The more I researched the information above and what I posted, the more obvious it became. How can anybody question what is going on in ncaa basketball. It is one thing to have 6 teams from your conference in the sweet 16. I didnā€™t have a big problem with that. When I read the article about all the money the ACC will get from this, that is when the light bulb started to glowā€¦ and then I saw that none of those 6 teams would play each other until the elite 8 and the light bulb got brighter. The fact that the TV contract pays the ncaa over 10 billion dollars for 14 years prohibits it from being anything but corrupt.

So while some of you never turn on the switch and sit in the darkā€¦ well, the ā€œresultsā€ speak for themselves.

Seriously? Let me ask you this, how would bringing in just 1 huge producing salesman help you? If the big money basketball conference (15 teams remember) has a lot of teams in the tournament and those teams go far, it increases revenue immensely. It also increases the potential TV deals and pushes more money toward that conference. They are in it togetherā€¦ what , you donā€™t think there was a plan to have all of those teams not meet each other, if they kept winning of course :smirk:, until the elite 8? You donā€™t think they know where their money is coming from? and how they can get more? These are very smart men who run the show.

I know you wonā€™t understand most of this, but the guys who know and understand will.

But, in the long run, does it help the entire NCAA? As other leagues lose teams in the NCAA, who is following the Elite 8? How does that help the TV broadcasters as the pool of customers for advertisers decreases? I am watching Gonzaga games but not really interested in other games. Gonzaga is a member of the WCC.

In my business, there is a saying you are one recruit away from an explosion. That is because the one person is capable of bringing in hundreds or thousands of sale people because there is an unlimited potential if sales people. Not so with a finite league and potential growth. Centralizing all the money in the NCAA to one league doesnā€™t have the same potential as including all leagues. Especially in the long run. Why do you think the move to expanding more into the Football playoff system is happening? Itā€™s about the potential money. And if they want long term financial growth they have to expand the pool, not keep it small.

Okayā€¦

Youā€™re right. I donā€™t know what I was thinking. Your logical and complete analysis of the ncaa, how it works, why they have absolutely NO interest in the powerful, high profile teams and conferencesā€¦ it all makes perfect sense. Itā€™s really amazing that they donā€™t run things the exact way you postulate they should.

End of discussionā€¦ I hope Reed, Tom and others read your post because it is exactly the way the ncaa should be doing it. Iā€™m surprised you arenā€™t the commissioner.

It is happening because there are too many institutions that arenā€™t willing to put up with the blatant, in your face, we do things the way we want to methods that the ncaa and P-5 conferences use and the way they are doing it right now. Everyone knows it is wrong, so the ncaa makes some small adjustments to throw a bone or some crumbs to the other institutions, knowing full well that the big bucks will get where they need to put them, in order to keep the corruption going.

You keep trying to use honesty, rational thought and what is best to formulate ideas about how it should work, without recognizing how it really works. That is why it is corrupt and the silent conspiracy continues to roll forward.