The mighty Pac 12 is stinking it up

I haven’t applied yet for the position. I’ll let you know when I do :rage:

If you bothered to go read the rules for the tournament the answer is yes absolutely by design…what conference, WCC, MWC name it who would want their teams meeting too early in the tournament?

None. So rules/processes were put in place to try and avoid having teams from the same conference meet unless unavoidable…

Yeah… the mwc and wcc were really concerned that their teams might meet too early in the tournament. I know that is a big concern for them every year… you know, because they get so many teams into the tournament every year. Imagine if Santa Clara was forced to play BYU in the round of 32 or the sweet 16. That just wouldn’t be right. I sure am glad they have those rules in place…

The funny thing is that you guys keep fantasizing that the ncaa gives a rats rear end what the wcc or mwc or any non power conference thinks.

I got news for you… they don’t. It is always all about the ACC, the Big East, the Pac 12, the SEC, the Big 12 and the Big 10.

So no comment about the Dookies shooting 42 free throws? or the 15 team ACC, or the 30 million payout, or the $10 BILLION payout to the ncaa? There is no connection with cbs and what they might want? Grasshoppers comment about the ncaa wanting to have the little schools in there to expand their fan/customer base is laughable… If they tried to do it like he suggested (3 bids from every conference) the tv revenue deals would go south in a hurry. Is there a reason why you guys dig in your heels to keep from acknowledging any of this? Do you believe it doesn’t exist?

My apologies, I thought I was using examples of conferences you remotely cared about…

In case you didn’t notice you listed conferences who are at eachothers throats regularly they do not trust eachother. any more than the MWC or WCC trust them.
So the rule about avoiding meeting conference mates has been in place with various tweaks since the beginning of the at large era.
Most of the history of the NCAA tournament it wasn’t needed because only champions were dancing.

Acknowledging what?
That the NCAA tournament is big, and involves big money?
sure no problem the NCAA tournament is big and involves big money. Satisfied. No Didn’t think you would be.

Can the process be improved. Absolutely. and every year the tournament rules, like bball rules in general, get tweaked some.

Hammer away on your big picture theories all you want. May I suggest the protocols of the elders of zion, it’s been in publication for way over a century. It will give you some really good tips on better ways to convince people…

LOL!!! :kissing_smiling_eyes:
Unlike me who follows those principles :innocent:

You guys always talk in generalities and never in specifics. Maybe instead of stating the obvious all the time… the ncaa tournament involves big money, maybe talk about how the process of how it is distributed is unethical or corrupt. That might be difficult because you don’t really believe it is. Quick, dig in the heels…

I am not going to convince you and honestly I don’t have to. Go ahead and see it the way you want to and believe that the rule tweaks are “improving” the process.

Every year I feel less and less interested in the ncaa tournament because every year I see crap like the Duke-UNCW game where the little guy gets screwed by the same “ncaa” refs. Even big nose Nixon was doing a ncaa game this year. Duke is in the ACC… the ACC will make 30 million+ this season… the ncaa will “tweak” the system and we will watch it all over again next year. Enjoy watching the rest of the ACC… errr, NCAA tourney and the rigged games. :grinning:

That’s all, thanks for your time.

reposting from last March…

ANYBODY WATCHING GONZAGA…

because I need to say that I feel like I’m watching a wcc game with wcc refs.

I picked it up about midway through the first half and wow… do the Zags get all the calls or what?

It’s sickening to watch the officials, I can’t figure out for the life of me what is so special about GU, as they whistle call after call against their opponents when there is no obvious reason why. It’s not like Gonzaga is playing that much better or they are even that impressive but the hype and the talk and the expectations put anyone associated with one of their games into some kind of funk.

I would hate to be North Dakota right now because they aren’t getting anything from the refs. 13 fouls to 3 on GU, 3 free throws to 16 for GU but the game isn’t that one sided in how it is being played.

I hate it when officials can’t see the game straight…

The Gonzaga thing is something that has been carried over into the ncaa tournament for a long time, so for all of you who think BYU can overtake “america’s team”, you are so sorely mistaken and it will be so sad to see you saying the same things next season come March… “just wait till next year”. Yeah Gonzaga has beaten both of their opponents easily this ncaa tournament, but does anybody believe Utah thought they had a chance? I don’t think they did and confidence is half the battle. Don’t forget that BYU lost to this same team by 4 points and it wasn’t because of a few missed layups. This nonsense has been going on for 17 years in the wcc and the ncaa… Gonzaga is the “little guy” that the ncaa showcases to give the rest of the dregs hope. :smirk:

Do I like them? Yes. Do I hate them too? Yes.

P-5 conferences are the definition of corruption. They get better seeds and get home court advantages in most cases in the NCP-5AA tournament.

if success equals corruption then BYU must be one of the most corrupt because it is more successful than many if not most of the P5…

How do you figure? Because they have a good volleyball team or they are winning in baseball right now? How are they more successful than most of the P-5 teams?

I keep getting the impression that you are kind of like the grasshopper, dancing around the issue and talking in generalities as opposed to specifics. That is why I keep asking the questions… there are never any specific answers.

How is BYU more successful? Is it because they went independent in football or is it because they joined the wcc in basketball? Is that success? None of the other sports make money, they all lose. I’ll bet the women’s soccer team, in spite of its’ popularity and “success”, still operates in the red. Same with the “successful” rugby team, men’s and women’s volleyball teams, etc. Men’s volleyball is hugely “successful” and popular but they likely lose money overall. How does that success translate into improving the programs? The more money you have the more ability you have to recruit and improve the program. BYU relies on the lds church connection. They don’t have the resources or situation to do it any other way.

We aren’t talking about “success” in terms of winning and losing in the non revenue sports, the success we are talking about relates to money, and lots of it. We are talking about 7 pac-12 teams that made a pile of money for the conference with “invitations” to the ncaa tournament. Same with the ACC and other “less successful than BYU” P5 teams and conferences. We are talking about football “success” and playing in bcs bowls, not piddly little las vegas bowls that barely cover the expenses involved. Seriously, when is the last time BYU collected a significant share of the ncaa revenue in either of those sports?

So maybe you could explain this success you speak of and how it relates to corruption while keeping it within the context of what we are talking about.

[quote=“JimHawks, post:51, topic:5835”]
it is more successful than many if not most of the P5…

Simply flabbergasted you seem to live a a completely different reality than I do…
Please do bother to read the protocols of the elders of zion…

Actually I probably don’t “live a completely different reality” than you do…" but if it makes you feel better to say it, then that is okay.

The protocols of the (learned) elders of zion… is that the one you are referring to, the anti-semitic fraud piece? Why would I want to read that? and what would be the point? Is that what you think this is all about? You think I subscribe to a pile of nonsense and that is what is driving this?

I don’t think what I am talking about has anything to do with it other than there are some similarities between that fake ideology and the reality of how things are. It seems that, once again, you are presenting generalities and avoiding specifics.

Once again, you prove my point to end your concept of corruption. Limit the number of teams to the tournament. Possibly go back to no league tournaments. Are they mostly profitable? Doubtful. League champs play a round robin type tournent of 16 to 20 games to win league titles. No need for tournaments.

I understand what you are saying and the simple fact that it is something different from what is currently in place gives me hope that it would change the status quo. Based on your proposal, how would the teams that are invited to the ncaa tournament be determined?

Do you really think these mega conferences would allow it to happen?

Can still use RPI and what they do now. Just no more than 3 from any one conference. The money will still flow in. Just not all from one conference. More teams would be involved from all the leagues. I think there would be more interest, not less.

I can’t say I disagree because I simply don’t know what the result of a proposal like this would be. I can imagine that the power conferences (as they are called) and the big schools would likely be upset about it because it would mean reduced revenue and opportunity for them. I think there is a lot of misconception about what the ncaa tournament is and why certain teams are invited or not invited. I think that leads to corruption…

I won’t claim conspiracy anymore because I think, particularly after my interaction with Harold, that my ideas are completely misunderstood.

I think your proposal makes sense for a number of different reasons, I just don’t think it would ever be accepted by the powers that be.

I don’t know how much they take in for league tournaments with the lower teir teams. Probably not enough to offset the costs. They could still do the tournaments but again limit the number of teams per league.

You keep trying to convince folks of a conspiracy. I’ve seen that book in used bookstores on four different continents. It’s still popular in some sectors, because it does a great job of convincing people that a conspiracy exists. Just thought you might find some of its technics more useful than what you’ve been using is all.

And yes, conspiracy is nowhere near an accurate word to describe NCAA basketball. And I’ve kept trying to point out details, to get you to step back and rethink a bit. You prefer your details…of course everybody does. But the NCAA is about competition, not conspiracy.

Well said Harold. I think the referees simply need to get more serious about becoming better at what they do and not get promotions based on experience only. There has been some poor calls in the NIT as will as the NCAAs.