The state for BYU basketball, are we better then 2018?

Hahahahahahaha, Emery’s back and all is well in Cougarville.

In some ways I might agree with you but how many Coaches outside of BYU who are LDS Temple holder? I do see Dave Rose has been around for a long time and he is a big time with many guard players and less big guys. He is looking tired more and more than he thinks. Maybe he will retire sooner of what he was given an extension contract.
Kalaini Sitake, he is young and again who will replace him? Coach Tom Holmoe, I don’t think so like what happed at Cal. Andy Reid - guess not. Mike Leach - he won’t do it with this Honor Code thing. Urben Myers, “Me Laughing”, I can see him would say “Team Up North” - Ohio State was his dream job and if Nick Saban retire in two years at Bama then Myers might go there.

I would love to see another younger guy name Glen Tuckett to come around at BYU. Who is the next best AD guy to take Holmoe place. Or worse, the LDS Church may shut down the sports program which I HOPE NOT.

Why do you say the Church will shut down sports at BYU? Has there been any rumors coming from the Brethren?

No, no rumor at all and no discussion going on.

It just both BYU I & BYU H are no longer have sports. It just make no sense BYU want to make it more difficult in academic to athletes going to the Y.
I like to see all better athletes come to the Y to play sprots and get a college degree “all of them.” There were few BYU players didn’t complete their college when they finish playing at the Y. Yes some players like Jim McMahon and Vai Sekaheima (sp?) did come back and finish to get a degree. When you get a free ride going to University then why not get a degree.

There are too many students athletes at other University choose not to get a degree and go pro.

No, I don’t want shutting down sports at BYU at all!

Childs is the current BYU player being promoted by Rose as a potential professional player, be it Europe or China or wherever. He is using it as a recruiting tool so he doesn’t have to venture outside of Udaho to look for potential players.

Just recruit a couple of good players from Udaho and then let them become the hero ball guy on the team and gain a professional spot somewhere. Childs is looking to shoot and score every time he touches the ball, no matter where he is on the court. That is the very definition of hero ball.

Haws and Emery are the secondary prospects because of the promises made when the LP3 were recruited. Haws has a way to go, particularly with regard to hitting the weight room. Emery already has some familiarity with the professional basketball lifestyle as he has received benefits for playing already.

There’s just no hope for you. Childs is not a selfish player. He’s simply a great player at BYU. I’m happy to have him. He’s a great person too. Would you rather he pass the ball out to Sejlass to shoot or take the shot himself? He’s not playing hero ball. He’s a tremendous talent who did everything asked of him to prepare to be a great player.

And, I think it’s time to lay off Emery. He’s repented and paid his dues. Time to support the repented sinner.

He’s not playing hero ball at all. But, during his time when he tested the NBA last summer, he was told that he should improve in certain area and not share in some ways to his teammates. Improve his long range shooting and NBA knows he can play inside game “both defense & offense.” Either way, he is pro player going to NBA or Overseas but I hope he sticks around for his senior year and get a degree. And help his buddy Gavin Baxter to improve.

And in addition when someone from on this board has said about Dave Rose style of mostly “Guard/3’s” style. Big guys need to teach on their own because Rose doesn’t want to work those guys. Maybe Mika had enough with this and hated school and moved on.

Mika was just selfish and didn’t like to study. School isn’t for everyone. But, if he had aspirations to play in the NBA then he should have stuck it out. He would have been better for it all the way around.

Went to the Utah game out there with the NBA coach. After Childs had abused Utah in every way possible, Krystowhack tried double teaming him, every combo he could think of but Childs just had his way out there. Sat with Retired Utah Pres. Chris Hill by the way so I had to be on my best behavior, but without Childs, BYU would lose a bunch, no doubt.

Seems that Rose finally has a good rotation…he finally quit starting Worthington, gave up on the Nixon start and focused on two solid points (TJ and Harnett) as well as help for Childs in the middle with long guards, Harding and Seljaas. Seljaas at least in the Utah game, was flexing his muscles after a hard take to the rim or a tip in. Harding is just plain good and plays beyond his years as a true freshman.

With TJ, Harnett (or Emery), Harding, Seljaas, and Childs, BYU is pretty tough to defend. You go inside to Childs and if you try to double Childs, anyone of the gurards can kill you with a 3. With BYU’s 4 guard lineups, we are out rebounding teams until we run into another Nev. type time filled with bigs.

Seems after the Weber fiasco Rose heard if from boosters and probably Tom H., probably went like this, “You’re going to get us both fired”. two other dynamics. Emery was cleared to play in the USU game and no doubt he infused the team but Emery had very little to do with the Utah win so I think it was a coincidence more then Emery being any kind of a game changer and lastly the Team had a players only meeting where everyone got to unload and commit to D in spite of Rose.

With UNLV, @ SDSU, @ MSST we will know if this team has the heart to challenge and Dance.

These last two games give me a lot of hope. BYU is finally fun to watch again

On a side note, Utah is calling for Larry’s head. Two of the players have asked for transfers.

Its ugly out there folks

Did something happen to the 3 point shooting of BYU since the season started? Are they all of a sudden making 3’s at better than 40% this past game?

Not yet, but I appreciate your enthusiasm. BYU was once again below 30% (7-24)

It is true what you say BUT……. There is a big difference going on this year over past years, drum roll…TJ and Emery are not wasting possessions or playing heroe ball. I’m not saying we are going to go on this big win run just because of 2 glaring facts; TJ is rail thin and can disappear against NBA body type guards. If Childs gets injured or foul trouble, BYU is toast.

UNLV, SDSU and MSSU will tell us everything we need to know about our WCC play or if BYU can be a Dance team because a week ago I would of bet the house that BYU would not even be an NIT team

They haven’t been pressed into action becaue Yoeli has been on fire. Wait until BYU plays a real team, not a weak in-state rival. The last two games have been an extension of utah high school basketball playoffs…

The first time Yoeli is defended in an effort to shut him down, you will have the LP2 doing everything they can to fill in the gap and play hero. You don’t think it eats at those 2 that they aren’t in the spotlight?

Give it a few more games and we will see the hero ball on full display.

Is Childs on fire or playing hero ball. You like to dance around a lot on this issue. As long as he shoots 85% I’ll let him take all the shots.

And I said, “We will know all about this team after the UNLV, SDSU and MSSU run”.

Guys that don’t get talked about a lot are Seljaas and Harding. Those guys balled this past week

I’m not dancing. You like to mischaracterize a lot of what is said and what you say in particular. I just watched a 30 30 episode of Bob Knight on ESPN. Maybe you should watch it…

I have seen Yoeli play some great basketball lately, mostly because nobody else on the team seems to be able to and yes, he has had to. However, I have also seen him take some ill advised shots and I wasn’t sure whether it was him trying to do too much and carry the team or if he was playing hero ball… that remains to be seen but I think it is troubling that he has scored 31 points in 3 straight games, one of which was a bad loss to Weber State, and there hasn’t been much balance team wise.

You see, I look at the big picture. I analyze the players and how they interact with their teammates/coaches and try to interpret and then create a picture of what is taking place. I have done it for a long time. I don’t mean to sound cocky or anything but I usually know what I am talking about and am right much of the time.

Sorry if that doesn’t sit well with you, or anyone else, but it is true.

This team will never challenge for a spot in the dance. It is a flawed team. No big man. Child’s is a 6’7” post player who will get eaten up by true post players on defense. He is a natural 3-4. But would be a 3 in the NBA. I don’t think he will make the NBA. Great kid though and someone BYU could have built around. Rose didn’t do that though. This team will be booted into the bottom half of the WCC and there will probably be less than 6,000 average attendence at home. With Holmoe in charge and Worthen supervising Holmoe … don’t expect any changes without pressure from alumni and attendence. When Worthen doesn’t attend bb games we will know something is up.

Well, there’s your answer, BYU will NOT be dancing this year. Will be sitting on the fence on the NIT, just like last year.

Where’s Dastrup? Oh yeah, the coach that does not coach during the game ran him off. The trouble is, BYU is too good to miss 20 wins so we will have to suffer through another lousy year or so before we get a real coach…Notice that Pope at UV beat Weber ?

From a fan in Idaho

Why BYU lost a game they should have won:

1. As per usual, lousy 3 pt shooting, whereas UNLV shot out of their minds, as evinced by the last shot of the game.
  2. Failure to protect the defensive boards, again.
  3. Terrible foul shooting.
  4. Dumb fouls.
  5. Failure to use your best player on the court effectively in crunch time. For the last play in regulation, Yoeli was relegated to the perimeter to set up a shot for their worst 3-pt shooter. Yoeli had been having his way all night posting up and they don’t even call any plays to go through him at the end of regulation nor in overtime.

Even the slightest tweak in any of these areas and BYU wins this game. Sad.

Credit to the players for their resilience in coming back from a huge deficit when UNLV was shooting lights out from the arc, but at times, this team plays like they’re uncoached.

Haws is having his best year. I am amazed at the terrific touch he has around the rim. He rarely misses in close. He’s taking care of the ball better and playing better defense.

This team plays like they are uncoached!!! been sayin it for a long time now. I would add that Emery got them back into the game and yet he sits.