The state of BYU basketball (code word for Rose's coaching style)

Are you sure he had the ball in his hands on that first step?

If he didnā€™t then he passed it to himself and that happens to be travelling as well.

2nd the motion. Houston, we have a problem. The Rose doctrineā€¦Donā€™t worry about defense, weā€™ll just out shoot em.

his highest winning percentages actually came in the bigger pond with more giants which is to say the MWC. Lon Kurger, Steve Fisher, Steve Alford, and whatā€™s his name at the school up north. Rose had winning records against all the bigger fish.
It is his lesser winning record against the lesser coaches and the lesser teams in the WCC that have lowered his wins and winning percentageā€“as well as those beloved conference titles.

Or maybe the WCC isnā€™t such a lesser conference.

I would agree with you except for:

1. head to head mwc wcc mwc has winning record
  2. mwc out of conference record is also better than wcc out of conference record

and I know of no other way to measure the strength of a full conference.

tournament results which really only measure the strength of the top of the conference of course favors WCC, or more especially the strength of Gonzaga. Sadly the tournament results that support the strength of Gonzaga are not refereed by WCC biased officials.

Iā€™m just saying people use the size of the gyms as indicating the coaches, players and competition. Iā€™ve always rejected that. I think your analysis proves me right. Itā€™s not a ā€œrecā€ league.

And this is probably the most significant reason why it is so frustrating to be a BYU fan. The up and down nature of the team shows us what they are capable of on both ends of the win and loss spectrum. We see what they are capable of and are reminded of what they are often. Iā€™m not sure what they are capable of this season but we have been reminded a couple times ofā€¦ well, you know.

There have been many times that I have wished that BYU had been invited to the PAC 12 the same time Utah was. It would have been great to have been in a P5 conference that made sense geographically. This last week, there was a protest on the UC Davis campus that shut down a scheduled speech by the British conservative Milo Yiannopoulos. Milo is a Trump supporter. It reminded me that BYU is probably much better off playing in the WCC where its conservative values are shared by other institutions. We got a glimpse of what BYU would have thrown at it when there were discussion about joining the Big 12.

Imagine what might have been had BYU stuck with the MWC? No doubt the conference has fallen on hard times in terms of BBall coaches and talent moving away but BYU would own most likely 3 more crowns and our football team would have been invited to a New Years game or two.

Boy now, that opens up a can of worms

If you are right Harold, I beg your pardon. Uncle Blaine Fowler said a lot of wise things today on BYU SN today. He really said a lot about how BYU needs to defend with this young team. I will follow Blaine and hope for the best. I hope that Coach Rose and his staff listened to what Uncle Blaine had to say today about defense, creating energy in these H.S. gyms in the WCC, and how the BYU coaching staff needs to stay with these kids this year and next.

There it is again, the ā€œyoungā€ team excuse. Iā€™m sorry, but Iā€™m not buying it anymore. Defense isnā€™t about experience or having played multiple years of college basketball. Defense is about effort and energy, two things that canā€™t be learned or acquired.

You either do it or you donā€™t. How do I know? I think Nick Emery is the perfect example of it this season. Everyone saw what he did to that Brownridge guy from Santa Clara and we also see what he does (or doesnā€™t do) on other nights.

1 Like

Well, that also depends on what they did in high school as far as knowledge, developed skills and ability to play individual and team defense. I agree about the effort part.
Luke Walton is having the same issues with the Lakers. The first 10 games they played defense. Now, their focus isnā€™t there. The last 2 games he pulled the entire 5 starters out at the same time and put in the subs who played defense. Which turned into good offense too.
With our young team, itā€™s a combination of both.

So Jim,

I just curiousā€¦ So you are saying that ā€œyouth and inexperienceā€ is just an excuse, Right? That the main 6-8 players have very little D1 Basketball experience (what about half a season?) has nothing to do with them not winning consistantlyā€¦

To me, that is like saying that someone who graduated from College with a Civil Engineering degree should be able to walk on ANY job and know everything he needs to know to do his jobā€¦

We both know, that knowledge comes from experience and a freshly graduated engineer know ā€œbasicsā€, but does not have the knowledge to know how to do things the right way.

With BYU basketball, I have been told by people who have played the game on a D1 level that there is a learning curve even for those who have great skill at the gameā€¦ John Stockton, Karl Malone, Shaq, etc all had to develop their knowledge in order to become the great players they wereā€¦ Same thing in College.

Now if you want ask the question ā€œWhy are there so few upper classman?ā€ that would be a legitimate beef. Because I am not sure ā€œwhyā€ all those players left (and please donā€™t say because of the LP3)ā€¦

What bothers me, is the fact when Haws, Mika, and Emery were at LP, the team (under Lewis) was not only known for their offensive power, but the tenacious defenseā€¦ now it seems they have lost that for whatever reason.

I thought with Lewis coming on board there would be better defensive efforts, but right now, I do not see itā€¦

Those are my opinionsā€¦ I think I know why you feel everything is an excuse, but I would like to know why BYU does not appear to be building from one year to another, like other college teams doā€¦ It seems we are always ā€œrebuildingā€.

I am not sure coach Rose understands that Championships are won with great defense, not offenseā€¦ (at least according to several hall of fame coaches)ā€¦

Rose needs to but the breaks on Mika and Emery trying to score on every possession they touch the ball. That is the one thing I noticed in the SD game, every time Mika touched the ball he tried to shoot, instead of passing it back out and seeing if their was a better shot.

Under coach Cleveland Rose was in charge of the defense every year. Kind of reminds me, only peripherally of course, of Lavell Defense Coordinator to HC and then the offense takes off.

how well was the defense during Coach Cleveland time??? Not that goodā€¦

I think you kind of answered your own question but the theory you presented is somewhat true. Of course knowledge and experience are big factors in how well it goes long term. I understand and only recently I was willing to say ā€œokay, letā€™s wait till they have more experience playing college level ballā€ but then the San Diego game happened and I decided to check their roster, which was mostly freshmen and sophomores, to see if this so called experience was a huge advantage. Yes, San Diego had some upperclassmen that scored points but their leading scorer was a sophomore and another in double figures was a freshman. Only one starter was a seniorā€¦ but the most important factor is THEY WON THE GAME.

Iā€™m not buying ā€œlack of experienceā€ as an excuse anymore, someone will have to try and sell me on something else.

Well, really??? Every time Mika got the ball he was double teamed. So, no, he didnā€™t always try to score. He passed it most of the times. He has to make his move quicker when he first gets the ball before the double team comes.
I agree with your questions and statements with Jim.
Now, why were the big 3 able to play great defense in high school and not college? Because the talent and quickness level is completely different. You have the best of the best playing in college. Our players arenā€™t showing they are as good as the other top players out of high school yet. I think they can but they do react slowly.

London Bridge? Swamp gas?
Jim, what is obvious is the top players out of high school that went to SD are simply ahead of the LP3 and the whole team in their development. But not by a wide margin. Therefore, being that the LP3 have a much higher upside than the SD players, in the future we wonā€™t lose those games. True with the other WCC teams too. Patience my friend :grin: