Time to bench Taysom

The two drives for scores were not broken plays. The last touchdown was a hurry up or go fast offense. He as in rhythm and no broken plays.

Three games in and we are beginning to see what this team is capable of accomplishing. The defense and special teams play is a pleasant surprise so far. They are competing with the P5 competition weā€™re playing. The offense is obviously struggling. Itā€™s tough to see Taysom going through this. He could have walked away from the game as a legend and no one would have blamed him. His decision to come back and play another year, the death of his brother, his record games against Texas, his season-ending injuries, it all combined to make you want to give him one last chance to prove to the college world that he was one of the best dual-threat QBs ever to play. Yesterday, the commentators noted that Hill was coming to the sideline and was just quiet. I think he is frustrated and disappointed that the game that once came so easy for him seems to be so hard. He never imagined that he would hear boo-birds at Lavell stadium. He isnā€™t to blame for all the problems on offense. The offensive line continues to be decimated by injuries. Hill would have fared better if he had the time Rosen had in the pocket. There were some dropped balls. Hill threw bullets to receivers when they were tightly covered but that made his passes hard to catch when the receivers were only 7 yards downfield. Sometimes though, his passes just were not accurate. I donā€™t blame Detmer for sticking with Hill. I am sure he is hoping that Hill can pull himself back on course. Maybe the problem is that we are just playing a harder schedule. Yes, but why is the defense able to play to the level of the better competition? Maybe Hill would thrive better under Anaeā€™s offense with more run option. Well, Detmer has been throwing in plays that Taysom likes to run, including some run option but it isnā€™t working well. Credit UCLA for assigning one of their fastest, most athletic defenders to cover Taysom and take away the run. So whatā€™s the answer now? Detmer didnā€™t want to make a change at QB and destroy Taysomā€™s confidence but it is clear that Kalaniā€™s patience is running thin. Look for changes to take place this week. I suspect Mangum will get equal reps in practice this week. If Taysom canā€™t get the offense working in the first few series this Saturday, we may see a change at QB. If Mangum struggles, BYU will be lucky to go bowling this year. If Mangum thrives, it will be the changing of the guard and a sad end to the Hill era. As much as I love Taysom, I would rather have Tanner getting reps and developing his game even if he has his struggles running this offense.

The easy fix is go fast. Thatā€™s Hillā€™s game. We saw it at the end of the game. Hill isnā€™t a West Coast Offense slow type. Instead of his instincts kicking in he tries to be a pocket passer. So, by the time he takes off running itā€™s too late. Go fast is the answer.

A little perspective hereā€¦ I believe Ty Detmer played for the Packers at some point in his career. I remember there being two qbā€™s on the team (maybe Detmer was there at the time and maybe not) named Favre and Rodgers. Favre was a great QB but he had lost a step, wasnā€™t as effective, etc. and fans were calling for Rodgers. The Packers stuck with Favre while Rodgers learned the system. Ultimately Rodgers became a star because he was patient, he studied and he learned from a great QB. Iā€™m not saying this is the same, but it is very similar.

Tanner will get his chances, but I donā€™t believe he would be all that more effective than Taysom is and it is debatable whether he could be as effective. It is a point of discussion for sure. I think everyone needs to be patientā€¦ let this thing develop. I actually agree with Gavenman on this.

I also agreed completely with Glenn until he started talking about the options and answers for what to do. I donā€™t think Mangum is the answer right now. I donā€™t think he would be faring that much better. The defense has done well but I donā€™t think Mangum would help them do better. These are only opinions and ideas, I could be wrong of course. Fans are selfish, they want it all right now. If BYU isnā€™t winning all the time, the fans get unruly and upset. There is no patience even though EVERYTHING about this team is new. UCLA is a good team, they lost to Texas A&M in OT.

Fans knew this was a possibility, that BYU might go 6-6 this season but they are unhappy about it. I say too bad, deal with it and have some patience. Iā€™ll bet there are fans who think Detmer should goā€¦ they are idiots. Fans need to calm down or stop being fans.

2 Likes

I am not calling for Mangum to replace Hill but with the run game stagnant which passer would be more likely to get the passing game going. IMO Tanner would be the guy.

I would just hate to have a 4 or 5 game win season, sticking with Taysom all the way or 75& of it with Tanner burning a year.

Wait a minute Royā€¦ are you saying that you believe BYU will win 4 or 5 games with Hill playing QB and 9 games with Mangum at QB?

That is crazy.

Please donā€™t be one of those impatient, fickle fans that expects BYU to win every time they step on the field.

1 Like

But that is what heā€™s saying. Crazy nonsense. I do think we have to speed up the offense. UCLA had a good pace that would benefit Hill and Jamaal.

Where or where did I say the Cougars would win 9 games with Tanner? Where? What I said was with a non-productive running game which QB would most likely get the pass game going. And I answered, Tanner. That is what I said, the rest of it is magical thinking of some sort. Grasshopper: ā€œUCLA had a good pace that would benefit Hill and Jamaal.ā€ Me: Really? Why didnā€™t it then? And your, Grasshopper, say as much crazy nonsense as any of us. BTW, I donā€™t ever remember saying that I expected the team to win every game, ā€œthey step on the field.ā€

I misunderstood this comment to mean that you thought BYU would win 75% of their games with Tanner at QB.

That is my mistake.

I agree! Exactly what Iā€™ve been thinking.

When will we score more points SG? I believe we will score more points when Tanner is in at QB. Hill got a two minute drill TD when UCLA was willing to let BYU eat up the clock for them and give up a TD for time. Hill has not shown much progress, if any, since the Arizona game. Itā€™s time for Tanner to throw some long passes and get BYU on the scoreboard more often. I donā€™t see Hill getting much better in time for BYU to win again W.Va. or any other P-5 games.

No biggie (must be at least 10 characters)

Before throwing long passes, receivers have to get open. Also, that isnā€™t the west coast offense that Detmer is running. You will see a change Saturday when the pace is faster and Hill is in rhythm because of it. Same for Williams too.

lets not forget that BYU is STILL the only team in America to not have a pass play over 20 yards.

Love Hill but this is a sad ending to a legend and time to start Mangum, who I think will do very well. I was calling for him in the Utah gameā€¦actually before the Utah game. UCLA only proved my point.

Headed into the WVA game, we will have to score more than 30 points and Hill does not have that capability.

Jim, letā€™s get real for a second. The Hill era is about to close. Either we put Mangum in to right the ship or we will be sitting 1-4 by the Michigan St game.

Love the guy but he has lost his only weapon, his speed, and BYU is now very easy to defend. All you have to do now is put a spy out there as LBer and seal off the edges. BYU cannot score more than a couple of times a game.

So you have doubts about Mangum? How about BYU being 2 dimensional? For the entire UCLA game, they kept 8 or 9 guys in the boxā€¦at all times. Try running on that.

The problem here is that, once again, fans are responding as if they know more than the coaches. They are questioning the methods, the process, the decisions of coaches who have been doing this all their life.

What would you think if I was able to come on one of your guided fishing trips and said ā€œChris, you donā€™t know what you are doing. You should be using this bright orange and green lure to catch those big cutthroats near the bottomā€ā€¦

So maybe that isnā€™t the best example, but everyone was all hyped and excited to have Sitake, Detmer and a new staff coaching BYU and now, three games into it everyone is questioning, complaining and acting like they know better.

I just donā€™t get itā€¦

great example. We have guides who know how to fish every well given one or two techniques but when they are faced with fish that are not biting due to a cold front or the hatch changed, they do poorly. We are constantly changing guides so that the $$ client does not have a bad day and he comes back next year.

I love our new coaching staff, every single one of them I thought was a genius hire and will continue to think so for as many years as it takes for them to have their own recruits and their system in full swing.

Detmer is a pro style OC. He is hardly the problem here. Hill is NOT a pro style QB and I think that he would have done fine if he had his old speed to get him out of trouble. You could argue that Detmer needs to customize the offense to Hillā€™s talents and I think that Detmer has done just that.

In the AZ game, before that game, I said that BYUā€™s line outweighs AZā€™s line by 50 lbs per man and that we should just run it down their facesā€¦and we did and Jamaal got 169 yards. and we won the game. Before the Utah game, I said that we would not be able to run the ball and that we would need to pass and that I would not be surprised if we saw Tanner in the gameā€¦we didnā€™t and we lost. Same with UCLA.

Hill manages the game very well. BYU is winning the turnover game, our defense has held every team to around 20 points but we are still losing because BYU cannot generate offensive points. Hill does not have a arm and he has lost his speed. BYU is the easiest team in the nation to defend now. Pretty simple to meā€¦insert Tanner.

Its hard to put an end to the Hill era but I think youā€™re right on this call. The coaching staff felt like they needed to reward Hill for his loyalty but Sitaki isnā€™t going to write-off the season just to reward Taysom.

Part of a ā€œfanā€ site is we get to vent, analyze and sling opinions about. How much fun would it be if we were only allowed to concur with the coaches? I very often do concur with the coaches because they are there and know a whole lot more about the game and the talent than I do. But I, like many of you, enjoy the chance to be an armchair QB or self-made sports commentator. Is that so wrong?

I love Taysom but something is amiss. I see little fire or passion in his play or on the sideline. I donā€™t see the same speed and his accuracy has been very spotty. His O-line could help him out a whole lot more but hitting his receivers in stride and being more elusive like he once was would help himself and his O-line out.

I heard Taysom say he was going to play all out this year. I am not seeing it. He looks tentative. Perhaps the style does not suit his skills and he is struggling to learn the new system and adapt. Perhaps he is too worried about injury. I do not know but his play is oddly sub-par and he is hurting the team and hurting his chances at the NFL. Something has to change within Taysom or wins will be few and he will not be drafted.

Taysom was the fastest player on the field vs Texas. He made 4 and 5 star DBs look like they were running in quicksand. Vs UCLA he got caught from behind by a DEFENSIVE end, for crying out loud. He consistently could not outrun OLB #12. Sure the guy is a stud, but my point is that Taysom is simply not the fastest guy out there, and, without his wheels, he looks like a really, really, REALLY mediocre QB that no one is at all afraid of. Yuk.