We can be P5 if we want to be starting now

Ron, on that last paragraph, it would be nice to know IF they are working on it as an alliance like ND. Either P12 or B12 would be perfect fit only in football. Can anyone in anyway to find out if Tom and the BOT working on that? B12 might benefit that perfectly by having both BYU & Bosie State would bring to their playoff if allowed.

Dew,

I think that KC has some inside source for information. Sometimes his information turns out to be true, and sometimes not true. We should check with him to see if he can make your suggestion at least known with only the request for consideration, if indeed,the request could reach the eyes and ears of our AD. I like your idea. I would love to be in the Pac12, and my second choice would be the Big 12.

Yes, I do like your idea. I have said before, that like it or not, Boise State has become our real rival as we play them each season, alternating home sites from a few years ago and clear into the year 2027. Our abilities are close to equal with them winning sometimes and us winning the other times. OUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS are pretty equal with us, 31 years ago having a NC and 23 years ago having a Heisman Trophy Winner, and 13-14 years ago having a Doak Walker Award winner and this is comparison, to Boise STate, most recently having 2 BCS Bowl games while we could not achieve even One, and in one of those, the Fiesta Bowl made Boise State a Champion over the big BCS team.

So yes, putting Boise State and BYU together for conference expansion for football only, would be a good choice. You probably know me well enough by now that I often want the near impossible so you will understand that I would prefer to have ND and BYU come in as a team to inter a conference P5 expansion.
With that combination, thanks to ND, any conference would want us if we came as that package.

I like that BYU & ND as a team to inter a conference p5 expansion. Sure KC would know a lot than we do, lol!

Dew,

I did not realize that you knew KC.

I do believe in miracles.

I do understand that 99.9% of the population, or more, thinks that the combination of ND and BYU entering P5 conference as a package deal, is impossible.

As one that does believe in miracles, I do believe that if enough positive discussion on the WEB and other places, wanting this combination to happen, and always putting ND in an honorable position for considering the possibility, it is indeed a miracle that someday just might happen.

If indeed we do have enough positive discussion about it, which always shows ND as being the gracious, generous, loving kind brother, that offers a willing hand to help us, and at the same time time, BYU shows a great deal of appreciation and together, ND and BYU exhibit a gesture of great cooperation together, it just might be a miracle that could eventually happen.

Ron, I have already passed along your posts and this message board to my contacts. They are well aware of the desires of the fan base and if this was a athletic department decision, it would have happened years ago. Unfortunatly the board of trustees didn’t share this vision years ago, but recent rumblings combined with some donor feedback, has changed the position of some of them to the point that they have removed some of the stipulations they had a few years ago that cost us a BIG12 invite.

The lowest season ticket sales for this upcoming year (to date the lowest total since the stadium expansion, breaking last seasons record low) coupled with the number of top donors pulling out, have made the impact many hopes for, just too bad it’s a few years late. This much we now know for sure, the younger BOT members are on board, and some of the older ones are coming around.

This is true that as of now, we don’t have a guarantee of a bowl game this year. Although, apparently one is in the making. Holmo just can’t make the announcement at this time.

While not being a part of the MWC may make it difficult to get a bowl game, the other point some have said in here for a reason to join a mid-level conference is to play for a conference championship. They say now there is nothing to play for. I disagree. We have to win our games to be considered for a bowl game. That should be enough to play for.

KC,

Thank you for this very informative post. I really do like it. I agree totally with most of it and I can’t find anything that I really disagree with. Thanks.

People use to say that the coaches, the AD, and the BOT never look at our blogging or hear about it. I have never bought into that thinking. Bloggers use to think that what ever we say in our blogging means nothing to the decision makers. Again, I never bought into that thinking.

Like you said, I do believe that those in the decision making process is well aware of the desires of the fan base. Even with differences of opinion, most anyone could see the common threads that unit our thinking more than divide our thinking.

I also agree that while the old leadership was less willing to make changes, in the past, the new leadership is more willing to take another look of what is, what might have been, and what still could be, if we make enough significant changes, all of which would be for the good of our Cougar Football team.

I am aware of the fact, that out of frustration, especially since we were not able to accomplish any of the BCS bowls that our peer group was able to accomplish, TCU, Boise State, Houston, Hawaii, and Utah, and since Utah was able to go to the Pac 12 and we were not, and since TCU was able to go to the Big 12 and we were not, and seeing that while our peer group was forging forward, we were only treading water, we indeed have lost some of our big donors.

I too have noticed that for the first time since LES was built, we now have many empty seats at each game.
Who wants to pay to see us play at home, Idaho, Idaho State, Savanna State or Wagner?

It is frustrating for the fan base, that wants our Cougars to catch up with it’s old peer group in Utah and TCU, and become a P5 Independent team that wants to be invited into a P5 conference and than we program games form the FCS.

Yes, we are all aware of the many reasons that these games were F O R C E D on us, but the fact remains that we much just learn how to J U S T S A Y N O !!!

Fans are starting to feel like, “What’s the use?” We make one positive step forward towards reaching our goal and than we schedule FCS teams that puts us two steps backwards.

What are the changes, which you referred to that are being made now, that once kept up out of the Big 12?

I am seeing a much improved relationship that we are now having with the Pac 12. Does your sources feel that there is any chance at all, with the new found improvement with Pac 12 relationships, that the Pac 12 could be as much in consideration as the Big 12 for including us in any future expansion?

I still think that you attachment is a classic and should be saved and passed on to as many within our fold as possible. Thanks again. Ron

Grasshopper,

As the rules are set up now, there is no reason on this earth to go back to any mid major conference.
Been there. Done that. There is no going back. Finished. Done. No more mid major stuff for BYU. We must move forward or die on the vine.

Forget about the Big 12. As of this week, the new rules state that any P5 conference may have a play off regardless of how many or how few teams are in their conference.

There is absolutely no reason now, under the new current rules, for the Big 12 to expand. Their is no reason for them to share their very wealthy income among anymore than the 10 teams that they now share that revenue with.

We must either form our own new P5 conference, like we formed the MWC out of the 16 team WAC by taking the best 8 teams and we grew from there, or we must stay an Independent P5 team for programing purposes and forget about a conference championship, or, or, or.

If we could get Boston College, Baylor, TCU, SMU, ND, and BYU for one half of a new 12 P5 team conference which we could call the “Church and State” Conference (CSC), and for the state half, we could have Army, Navy, Air Force, Citadel, Rutgers, and Boise State. (Okay maybe some other state school would be better than Rutger’s). You fill in the blanks, that would be as easy as trying to get into the Big 12 or the Pac 12.

I have no desire to see BYU going back to G5 ever again. Since we have 4 big games coming this season, it would make sense to go after those low end P5 schools like Colorado, Iowa St., Vandy, Pudue and Arkansas which makes 9 P5 games for the year along with Boise and some other two G5 schools. That would make sense to schedule this way and the following year then on. Would that qualified to enter in the 4 team playoff or in the big bowl game? Oh wait, we should have a playoff playing the Independent schools which more likely yearly ND vs BYU. And lastly BYU want more exposer and we got that which we all enjoy seeing games weekly with espn, possible with major network and BYUtv (replays). We don’t want to join Big Selfish 12 league or any other P5 league. I am happy where we are at! Any thought We don’t have to share any revenues to each leauges which makes sense too. :smiley:

Not a reply, but an update, 4/20/15

Today, Bronco had a, one on one, interview, that was probably, in my opinion, his very best of the 11 years that he has been with us as a HC. He really sounded like a head football coach and not just a missionary for the Church.

Today, he addressed all the issues that we have been discussing on this site for the past month. I don’t believe that the AD and the HC does not know what is being discussed here and on cougarfan, and cougarboard, ksl, Desert News, Salt Lake Tribune and the Provo Herald.

He sounded like he was really in tune and sounded like a head coach that knows exactly what direction is the right direction for our team to head in and he actually sounds prepared to take us, as the head coach, in that direction. He has given me hope for the 2015-16-and 17 seasons and beyond.

"Both Holmoe and Mendenhall have expressed a belief that one more college football realignment shift is forthcoming, and that it is imperative BYU be in a position for P5 inclusion if and when that shift occurs’.

He sounded to me like he was saying the same thing that we have been debating for the past month.

"To be prepared for the calling, if and when we should be called, we need to have been doing all that a P5 teams does.

We need to program as many teams each season as if we were already a P5 team. We much be able to show success at this level

We need to schedule no more FCS teams, as if we were already a P5 team.

We must impose on our ourselves, any/all restrictions as though we are already a P5 team. We must not do anything that a P5 team can not do.

When the time comes, for an invitation to a P5 conference, we will be the only team out there that already functions as a P5 team, and there will be nothing about us that is not like a P5 team. Our SOS will be like that of a P5 team. We will be the only viable choice for the invitation into the P5 conference. We will have earned our way. We will have proven ourselves. We will get the nod.

TCU made it into the Big 12 because their head coach knew how to win in the Mountain West Conference and win against a few BCS games. It didn’t hurt that they are located in Ft. Worth, Texas, a big part of the Dallas-Ft. Worth media market, No. 5 rated in the USA.

kc,

I quote you:

“We can’t even field a spring ball roster, let alone claim P5 membership”.

By now, I am sure that you realize that indeed, we have claimed P5 membership for programing purposes by virtually every P5 conference in the nation.

As far as not even being able to fill a Spring Rooster, let alone P5 membership, let me remind you of our schedule this season 2015 and next season 2016, and so far, we still have spaces available to fill for the 2016 season.

2015 Nebraska, Boise State, UCLA, Michigan, Missouri, Connecticut,
Cincinnati, East Carolina, Utah St. and 3 lesser teams.

2016 Arizona, Utah Utes, UCLA, West Va., Michigan State, Miss St., Boise State, Southern Miss, Cincinnati, and we still have 3 more teams to be announced.

First the ACC recognized us as a P5 Independent team for programing purposes and then soon after, the SEC recognized us as a P5 team, and after that, all P5 conferences have scheduled us as a P5 Independent team for programing purposes.

Nothing is impossible. Everything is possible. Nobody ever said it would be easy.

The athletic department and even our head coach know the scheduling agreement with some P5 schools doesn’t = P5 membership, perhaps you revise your position. You realize we could go 12-0 and not have a guaranteed spot in the playoff, because we are not recognized as a P5 program, right???

Yes KC, an important point. The 2 conferences and possibly the PAC 12 will allow their respective FB teams to count BYU as a non-conference P5 “game” BUT NO ONE recognizes BYU as a P5 “team.” There is a world of difference between those 2 situations.

1 Like