Well, that's it for this season

But, when has it ever been that way? JImmer’s senior year and Ainge’s senior year are the only years I can remember. Oh, Kresimere’s senior year too. 25 wins for a team not suppose to win 20 is really a great job coaching.

1 Like

As soon as the national media got on the bandwagon I sensed they would choke… even with the lead sad to say. KC wasn’t himself, Halford was streaky, Bartley was out of control at times and the team just showed little mental toughness in the second half.
Cougar fandom is rough.

Halford is one dimentional. When he’s super pressured, he simply can’t physically do what his mind tells him he should do. He loses the feel for the ball and the ball squirts loose. He really should never have been asked to play point. He’s a spot up shooter and a good one at that.

FB4 is still just not ready for prime time. I think next year he will be ready and won’t lose control so much. KC needs to play the 3 position and post up a lot more than he did. Also, KC needs to develop the mid range shot.

Kaufusi will be really good next year. He will have some really good back ups too. He might even play some 4 too.

Fisher will also play better in big games too. All the way to the end. Emery will light it up from outside. Toolson will also play with more confidence. Nixon will develop too and shoot better. If Ellington comes back, watch out. I like that kid. He will break down defenses and maybe we will get some slamma jammas too.

Ok not ready for “wait until next year” yet. Dismal 2nd half performance. It was almost humorous seeing Halford get backed down and shot over. To play so well in the 1st half and then-well you know-painful. I think KC learned that against some players he won’t get those low post moves to the hoop, but great year anyway. Haws finshed well and good luck to him and his future, wherever that is. Bottom line-give up 94-you aren’t going to win very many games. More inside presence should be the focus for the future. Thanks for the discussions and views-everyone has some legitimate points-well most do anyway. And yes, I’m rooting for Gonzaga-they have some good players and imo a good coach. Also I hope BSU wins a couple of games and no-I don’t hate Utah-so good luck to them and Arizona. Talk to you all in 4 or 5 months when the blue-koolaid starts to flow again :smile:

No Jim. We root for the BYU Women’s team.

Dew: How will be better in FB and BB next year? Are we getting new coaching staffs for both sports?

No tx, just saying next year will be better and fewer injuries compared to 2014/15. I don’t remember seeing so many injuries (starters) in many years.
Losing T Hill and Jamal were really tough and we spiral at mid season and Nate Austin & 8’s we really suffered inside.
I like hearing Bronco M is doing all the work In his D’s department but RA I am not hearing much on the O’s side which I wonder about him. No, I am not saying anything about coaches to both sides. I am happy to see Dave Rose for another 5 years. Who want another Roger R. slow pace ever again?

Great points. Basketball looks great for the next several years. Our inside presence will be deep and with 4’s and 5’s who will get us points down low when we need them. I hear Davis is going to be great at the 4 position making Austin have less playing time and less chance of injury. Kaufusi locks up the 5 for next year and then battles with Mika. And, Mike could end up being a 4 in his junior year. Then, you have Aytes. He’s suppose to be really good too. What happened in Tuesday’s game won’t happen next year because we won’t have to settle for 3’s. We lived by the 3’s and died by the 3’s. More options with the bigs scoring more next year and KC developing a mid-range game.

Then you have Fisher, Emery and others that will step in and knock down outside shots too. Defense should be better next year also…

Scott,

BYU will also have Jordan Chatman next year and he was the Washington HS player of the year his senior year and if he is as good as his dad was he could be a player who will help a great deal. It is a pity we lost the other night. I noted 3rd seed Iowa St. was beaten today by a 14 seed UAB who had a 20-15 record. Doesn’t make me feel so bad about our loss.

Of the guys leaving Sharp will easily be replaced by two guys who both should be better than he was, Davis & Aytes… Emery and Chatman will easily make up for the loss of Winder and Halford. The front court will be better even if Austin isn’t granted a medical redshirt. Worthington won’t be missed. I don’t know what Andrus’ plans are but he had his moments as did Neilson. Both should be improved. Both have a nice shooting touch but need to bulk up.

My projected starting line-up is:

C- Kaufusi
PF - Aytes
SG - Fisher
SG - Emery
PG - Collinsworth

Key subs - Bartley, Chatman, Davis, Austin (if he is back), Don’t know if Andrus, Nixon, or Toolson are planning missions or not.

Come on guys let’s be realistic had Collingsworth not been injured this game would’ve been a blowout for BYU we missed his offense of boards his defense and is rebounds

1 Like

Right on Byumike. Perhaps BYU needs some new coaching, new coaches.

LOL!

I’m absolutely sure that if we went back and looked at the comments after another one and done (post Jimmer of course) season we would be reading the same things. It’s probably the same music you would have heard at the Obama inauguration party.

Things “always” look great for the next several years but rarely are they. Let me guess, next year is the year BYU wins the west coast conference?

We’ll hear the same thing again about this time next year…woulda coulda shoulda and things are looking great.

LOL!

There’s that word again…

if blah, blah, blah this or that, woulda coulda shoulda…

Same old story, same old song and dance.

Don’t mean to single you out chris, but don’t you get tired of the routine?

So Reed…

are you driving the bus this time? or is Scott?

We hear the same tune every year… things are looking great, the next few years are going to be great, BYU is going to be even better…

I’d love to, but I just can’t buy a ticket and hop on the bus to fantasy land… you guys have fun though, okay?

We will next year and definately in 2 years. The future is bright! The glass is half full!

I am optimistic. If you can tell me the last time BYU had 4 top 100 recruits ready to come into the program I would be more cautious in my optimism. It may not turn out as well as we think but the talent recruited, ready to come into the program, has never been better. The talent is “big dog” talent to borrow a nauseating term from the infamous K.C. Black. If we can’t hang with the “big dogs” with the guys coming in then I guess it will never happen and I don’t care if the kids were all local. Rose would have been a fool to ignore them and go after the traditional “big dog” recruit that he never had a chance to get anyway.

I know that I could be disappointed but the last time BYU had recruits like T.J. Haws, Eric Mika, Nick Emery & Dastrup, who will all play on the same team, was when they had AInge, Roberts, Durrant, and KIte who all played in the NBA.

To change gears a little I would say that anybody who thinks BYU needs a new coach is out of their minds. The melt down the other night was one of many so far in the tournament. Baylor’s melt down was worse. They lost a 13 point lead with around 3 minutes left to a nobody team. LSU lost a 16 point lead they held well into the second half. So I guess BYU’s meltdown wasn’t the worst if that is any consolation. Iowa State choked against a very marginal UAB team with a 20-15 record. I am not sure how UAB even made the tournament. Rose has the best record in the history of the program and as far as I am concerned he deserved the 5 year extension.

1 Like

Hey for now let’s cheer on our brothers the Utes as they hope to advance to the sweet 16.

No way would I cheer for the Utes. They are in a “big dog” conference and I never cheer for “big dog” teams unless they are a smaller “big dog” than the dog they are playing. I will cheer for them against Georgetown because I would never root for Georgetown unless they were playing Kentucky and then I would have to hold my nose.

I actually think you are a closet Ute trolling the Cougarfan forum and your contact in the AD office is a Ute sociology grad cleaning the restrooms because he couldn’t get a job as a social worker.

I am rooting for Gonzaga because they are one of us. A private Christian College who doesn’t get traditional “big dog” recruits. Just a nice little team that is really good sometimes, probably plays by the rules, and isn’t supported by tax payer money.

I think there may be some truth to the closet KC thing…

Most people likely see me as pessimistic and I probably am to some degree, but I don’t go out of my way to denigrate and criticize all things BYU like Mr. Black does.

I try to see things as they are and while I hope and anticipate that BYU will actually live up to their potential some day, I don’t expect it.

Wow, crazy what joining the PAC12 has done for Utah. If they can hold onto this and make a sweet 16, it just shows how far their program has come. They were terrible the last little bit of their MWC run. Must be the PAC12 talent finally coming together.