What about Krysto at Utah

Fischer’s jr year reminded me a lot of Carlino’s jr year. Hot or cold; hero or goat. But Carlino had KC waiting in the wings. Nobody on the bench could compete with the HS All-American Fischer so he got to work through his issues his sr year and steadied it out.

Carlino doesn’t appear to have steadied out at Marquette but seemed like his time in Europe was helping him…I haven’t seen how he’s doing in the D-league…

Do you really think that is going to happen? Do you think more wcc teams will make it to the ncaa tournament if they play a stronger schedule? That is a big laugh. Doing that would make it even less likely that the wcc gets more teams because their records would be even worse than they currently are.

Reading comprehension problem alert!!! That isn’t what I suggested. The reason they don’t make any effort is because they know it is futile. There is no way they are going to the ncaa tournament because they know it is reserved for Gonzaga. Now that the wcc is devolving into a one bid league, with the annual battle between BYU and St. Mary’s for second and third place scraps, what is the point of the other teams trying? They don’t have the resources, time and money, to do what it takes and when they do make the effort (I have seen teams come close to beating the Zags in important games) they understand that the door will slam in their collective faces. I’ve seen it, they know it. If you knew you were going to lose, no matter what, every year, eventually you would just give in and roll with it too.

For the last time, they are the same refs that do all of the D-1 games in the western united states. They pull from a pool of officials for Pac, WCC, MWC, Big West… and on down the line. It’s true, I see the same guys doing wcc games that do Pac-12 games. If you don’t know that, you aren’t paying attention.

Your comments are reasonable! and I agree with them generally, but they fall short and they show that you aren’t acknowledging the obvious and factual evidence of what takes place EVERY year. 17 years in a row in the wcc tournament final and ncaa berths. I don’t care what you believe the reasons are, NO TEAM in the nation does that except Gonzaga!!! Logic speaks to the idea that there must be some external forces at work to accomplish this because it is virtually impossible to do. I’m not buying into this idea that it is simply because they are better than the rest every single year. They aren’t, so quit saying it. Are you going to use the same reason next year and the year after that, etc.? It’s always wait till next year, isn’t it? Few wants everyone else to step up, so it makes the league appear to have parity and competition, but he doesn’t really want that because that “should result” in his team possibly losing out on the ncaa berth, which he doesn’t really want to happen. He knows he will always get the advantage when it matters and hopes his teams are good enough to make good use of it.

pre-game talk ksl had Jeff Chatman. You know the All-American who played on the highest ranked BYU team ever. Who has a son on this team.
He was talking multiple final fours…with sound reasoning to back it up. Sound reasoning does not equal sound playing of course. But someone close to the program other than Dave Rose is very excited for the future of this program…and yes the expectation is to beat Gonzaga…regularly.

Game tonight looked like a game from one of Rose’s early years. Only seven players really got minutes that counted. Even in a blowout win…

Those losses to bottom dwellers are irrelevant in the big picture. So they lose to Pacific, Portland and Pepperdine, so what? They were about as equal or even as they could be with Gonzaga right? EXCEPT WHEN IT MEANT GONZAGA POSSIBLY MISSING THE NCAA TOURNEY. Do you see a recurring theme there? In fact lots of teams are “close” and that crappy St. Marys team actually beat Gonzaga twice this season. Who else did St. Mary’s lose to? Pepperdine seemed to have their number, but so what? St.Mary’s was better than Gonzaga, EXCEPT WHEN IT MEANT GONZAGA POSSIBLY MISSING THE NCAA TOURNEY. The strange thing that nobody seems to recognize or acknowledge is that the same thing happens every single year! You guys can’t possibly be that clueless…

Before the wcc tourney game that BYU lost to Gonzaga I told my Dad that it would probably be a close game but I guaranteed him that Gonzaga would win. I told him the same thing before the GU and St. Mary’s game. I said that it didn’t really matter how well St. Mary’s played or that they had swept Gonzaga during the season, they would not win the game. It is so easy to predict I don’t have to think about it. Go ahead and talk about BYU not having a point guard (didn’t matter the first two times they played, right?) or St. Mary’s playing a weak schedule (didn’t matter the first two times they played Gonzaga, right?) because those things are irrelevant. The only thing that mattered vs. BYU was one foul each on Sabonis/Wiltjer and 47 points between them along with 10 more free throws and 8 more makes… BYU loses by 4. You can talk about missed layups or missed “easy shots” and ignore the foul and free throw discrepancy, that is fine. You yourself have said it numerous times, that the wcc protects the Zags… why the change in tune now?

Interesting comment about the other teams getting money for Gonzaga’s success in the tournament. Hmm, AS I recall Utah was on WAC / BYU welfare for a long time in football receiving money from BYU getting all of those bowl games in the 70’s and 80’s.
Jeff

JH:For the last time, they are the same refs that do all of the D-1 games in the western united states.

SG: What’s that have to do with what I wrote. The refs assigned our games are not very good. Reading comprehension problems?

So, you think other teams don’t try to get better and win because it’s futile. That’s not what I saw this year. And Few wants teams to get better and play better schedules. His wins would mean more and seedings would be better. He’s not worried that he will have poor teams.
And, it doesn’t matter how many times GU wins. There is no proof there is a conspiracy by the commissioner and refs.