What about Steve Beo?

Well, it has to do with biology and a desire to have children :sunglasses:

Good one. :smile: You are right.

As for Steve Beo being a team player, he is coming to BYU despite having a scholarship offer to a PAC12 school. He is also coming as a walk on because BYU doesnā€™t have enough scholarships. That sounds like someone who wants to be part of a team.

1 Like

Maybe he doesnā€™t want to have to deal with playing on Sunday. Maybe that is a motivating factor as well?

Only time will tellā€¦ weā€™ll have to wait and see.

If heā€™s willing to forgo a scholarship at a major school over Sunday play, he is probably a humble enough guy that he is willing to put the team first. Iā€™m sorry, but that is really a reach on your part. In any case, Iā€™m glad to have him in Provo.

Go back and read the entire threadā€¦

What is really a reach on my part?

I think if you read each post you will find that it was fish that posted the comments.

Anytime somebody expresses an opinion that isnā€™t 100% positive about everything, they get ripped for it. Why canā€™t we express our opinions about what we think? Fish has probably seen video or something that helped formulate his opinion and ideas.

When you are the top player in high school you shoot first and ask questions later. This team for BYU, everyone can shoot the lights out. Therefore, he can pass the ball if playing the point.

Which is the next point, 2 guards is the ā€œshooting guard.ā€ Not the passing guard. Just a thought.

Last time I checked it is not against the rules for the 2 guard to pass the ballā€¦ unless your name is Chase Fischer. :grinning:

There are plenty of teams where the ā€œpointā€ guard scores a lot of points so it isnā€™t like every guy on the team has a specific assignment and he canā€™t do anything else.

But itā€™s okay for shooting guards to actually shoot when they are openā€¦ :rage:

After watching Beo for a couple of games, I stand corrected. Beo is a good passer and with his confident shot will be a big asset to BYU. The only question here will beā€¦Is there any time for Beo with Senior Rose, Bryant and the LP3?

Beoā€™s state championship team in his junior year was more diversified and while he averaged 26 pts a game he also put up 6.5 assists. Donā€™t discount his passing. He played against higher level competition than the LP boys did in state over a 4 yr HS career.

1 Like

This Rose addition is troubling to me. He will only be here 1 year. While he is here, he will suck up minutes that could and should go to other players who will (hopefully will) be here four years. I have a gut feeling that LJ was promised playing time to get him to come here. I think it is a bad move. However, when he is not on the court, Emery and Haws both take over the pt position ā€¦ that make me even more uncomfortable. Neither one of them ignites a fire in the team for whatever reason. A few more losses to teams with a hapless and inconsistent guard line will force the coaches to deal with the situation. We can argue about what we think about this player or that player, but it all comes down to wins/losses and performance on the court.

Beo isnā€™t Haws. One year with Rose will be good for Beo. Relax. I like the days where freshman didnā€™t play varsity ball.

Just so you know, Pepperdine game is February 9th.

You like the days when they threw the ball into a peach basketā€¦ :unamused:

No really. Since then, the best talent are one and done players. College ball is watered down and so is the NBA.

I know he isnā€™t Haws. He is a more consistent passer, better defender, and has an assist to TO ratio that is the highest on the team and 3 times higher than Haws. He also plays way fewer minutes than Haws, so you are correct, Beo isnā€™t Haws. One other aspect is that when Beo plays 10 min or more, BYU wins games. Same canā€™t be said for Haws.

That playing time stat is a ridiculous one to use. That isnā€™t why we lose. Nor is it why we win. We won games when he didnā€™t play too. I suppose when Ainge played 10 minutes a game or more for the Celtics they won. It had nothing to do with Bird, McCale or the other starters :thinking:
Itā€™s nice to have a player spot the starters (the ones who really win the games) without turning the ball over.

The numbers donā€™t lie. I am not saying that Beo won the games by himself, but it is a chemistry thing. What is ridiculous to say is that the players who actually played the minutes arenā€™t responsible for the win or loss on the court! If the players who received the playing time arenā€™t responsible for the wins or loses, who is? The players who didnā€™t get to play?

And, what about the games he didnā€™t play in which we won? Or, the games he played in which we lost? Just because heā€™s out there doesnā€™t guarantee a win. He isnā€™t the keystone to victory. Nor the cornerstone to victory. Nor the capstone to victory. With that said, heā€™s done better than the other guards when they come it. Bryant will take up Beoā€™s time if he can start playing.