Worst team of the Dave Rose era?

We have put up with this kind of nonsense for years now. Thawk is right, it is maddening. They are not showing a lot of improvement in the areas that they should be. We are talking about basketball basics here. Your statement here is completely hypocritical. In one sentence you say they shouldn’t be sitting and in the next you say they are getting too many minutes.

Wow…

Oh, so Mika and Haws have been playing for years…oh, you mean those 2 and 3 star players we usually play with? Got it…
Nothing hypocritical. See you want them sitting because they are look to you as being selfish. While I want them to sit more because they get fatigued. See the difference? One is calm and controlled reasoning and the other is emotional and acting like Democrats do :wink:

Honestly you don’t know what you want. I assume you want the team to win games like we all do but you don’t really have any solutions for why, in spite of their winning record, they just don’t look very good playing the game.

You are blaming it on “the Rose offense” but you won’t hold anyone accountable for what they do on the floor. Do you mean to tell me if you had a star player in high school who was running around out there, throwing crazy passes, causing turnovers, taking wild shots and basically playing like he was in a pick up game with no discipline, etc. you would do nothing about it? Did you ever blame your own offense when your teams didn’t win? We used to beat Bonny regularly when I was at Villanova. Was it bad coaching or players that didn’t do what the coach hoped they would do and were you afraid to hold them accountable?

It doesn’t matter how much the players improve if the offense continually puts the players in a position to turn the ball over. Why do other teams get open shots and in the lane so easily when they have less talent? It’s because they have offenses that work. We don’t and yet we have better talent than most teams.
So, you want Rose to punish players for doing what they are taught running an offense that doesn’t work? That makes no sense.

This goes to the root of what bother’s us about a statement by major boosters trying to tell us that Rose is the “perfect” coach and that somehow BYU could never get a better coach then Rose to take BYU to the next level.

Rose has two critical flaws in his coaching style: He does not value possessions on offense and he does not value defense nearly so much as he does offense. It is evident to me in the way he recruits. The types of players he recruits. Small schools recruit scorers, Big time programs recruit athletes. Look at National contenders and they always have lock down defenders sprinkled in a team with their elite scorers so in answer to my summation about, “Is Rose the coach that this booster says he is?”

Rose is many things, a man I would be proud of to have my boy play for, who has to deal with the quirky LDS missions and honor code and is a wizard at it …you don’t get to 300 wins by being average but you could say the same about Bronco M. Rose may have the green light to coach here at BYU for as long as he wants so we as fans need to be happy with his pattern of losing road games and never winning the big games.

You’re right, Rose ignores all of TJ’s turn overs and a lot of terrible passes. He need to sit on the bench while Bryant plays his minutes. WYCOWBOY

Yes, that is exactly what I want him to do. If the players don’t like the offense and they tell Rose it is the reason they keep turning the ball over, playing undisciplined and shying away from fundamentals and focus on playground/hero ball instead then maybe he will change the offense.

So what offense should they be running genius? What offense will get them into the ncaa tourney, with all their talent, discipline and improvement? Why does this bad offense work so well at home?

I don’t buy your “offense doesn’t work” claim. I blame the other reasons we have discussed here. Also, what about those things you claim are reasons for losing? missed layups and short shots, missed free throws, etc. Are those because of the bad offense they are using? Your ideas are so full of holes it reminds me of swiss cheese.

Let’s go coach hopper, your theory is a house of cards.

Good to see a new poster–welcom to Cougarfan…the site where intelligent byu fans (mostly) get to know each other by their real names (usually)…now, seeing WYCOWBOY takes me back to some epic battles between Mike Smith, Marty Haws, Alan Taylor, Jeff Chatman, et al, and some Cowboy named Fennis Dembo. Best name EVER, by the way…

1 Like

There’s a difference between 4 star and 5 star players at those big time schools. 4 star players can get better in areas they lack with hard work over time. So, give these kids time. Emery has already improved greatly.

Seems to me one of BYU’s biggest problems is taking bad shots. They often force bad shots early in the clock which leads to easy transition baskets. Even Mika forces too many bad shots (though he make many of them). With time on the shot clock they need to reset and work for a better shot and get everyone involved. I think our guys are capable of making good shots (body square, open look, reasonable distance from the basket)–nobody makes an high percentage of bad shots.

Defense–Haws is awful–gets lost and can never stay in front of his man–is always chasing. This causes the defense to collapse while leaving wide open threes. Not able to guard the 3 pt line has been the biggest contributor to our losses this season…

BYU never seems to improve. For the last several years they start the season at a medium high level but never seem to improve/change. They keep making the same mistakes at the end of the season that they made at the first of the season. Other teams improve hence our losses to weaker teams toward the end of the season…

My two cents.

Your two cents is a lot more valuable than that. Everything you said makes “sense”. I believe those things are happening as well and it is frustrating for sure. They take a lot of bad shots and definitely lack patience. Haws defense is terrible and he is never held accountable for it. Lastly, their inability to improve as a team and be consistent with it is the most discouraging of all.

It is honestly hard to believe it happens. Even really bad teams get better over the course of a season. It isn’t so much about wins and losses but that is the easiest thing to see. It is just about how they play the game together… and we are still waiting for that to happen.

Can you elaborate on this? What proof do you have? I haven’t noticed improvement at all. He looks like the same player, playing at the same level as he did at the start of the season. Honestly, I think he has played a bit worse lately. Help us out here… was it his 3 fg, 3 reb. 3 foul 3 TO game last Saturday? or maybe the game before that where he had 5 pts. on 1-6 shooting and fouled out after playing 37 minutes of a 40 minute game? I used the last 2 games as examples but I have a lot more for you if you want it.

I really wish there was something there to back up your assertion.

Pomeroy’s stat’s tend to back you up
Ken Pomeroy back in Nov had BYU with a 112 O/96 D rating. Gonzaga 116 O/96 D rating. fairly close, right?
Jan 31/2017, BYU’s rating is 107.8 O/98.5 D while Gonzaga is 121 O/88 D
in other words BYU’s offensive rating is worse today then it was back in Nov while our defensive rating has worsened. Gonzaga’s offensive rating has steadily improved to the point that they are ranked #7 in the entire land while ranked #3 on defense out of 350 D1 programs.

The main reason why I can not give Rose a “great coach” label. BYU has a rich tradition of winning in basketball.

GREAT POST Jim H. …“two cents,” answer to dadohead.

You do know he hurt his leg and that’s why he looks not as good. Although he was moving well in the last game.
If he looks the same as the beginning of the season, and you believe all other teams are getting better, then he has to be getting better and not staying the same.

I would differ, Emery has shown to be close to a lock down player as BYU has. He played about as much defense last season as Haws does now so that certainly is a big change. His shot selection is much better now than last year or the beginning of this year. The injury has slowed him down but Emery has clearly improved.

Jim said every other team has improved. And Emery still plays great defense and takes smart shots. So, if the other teams have improved it’s only logical Emery has had to improved too. I would also say the entire team has improved because they are getting the same production and errors they were at the beginning of the season when all teams weren’t as good and have improved :thinking:

you make zero sense whatsoever.

Ken Pomeroy back in Nov had BYU with a 112 O/96 D rating. Gonzaga 116 O/96 D rating. fairly close, right?
Jan 31/2017, BYU’s rating is 107.8 O/98.5 D while Gonzaga is 121 O/88 D
in other words BYU’s offensive rating is worse today then it was back in Nov while our defensive rating has worsened.

KenPom starts the year with last year’s stats and phases them out as the year goes on.
As I recall by the beginning of January all of last year’s numbers have dissipated. Maybe a bit earlier.
In any event January, ie conference, has seen the teams efficiency nose dive. Though they remain only behind Gonzaga and SMC.

But we are staying up with the same wins and losses that we had in the beginning. So, if the rest of basketball has improved we have to automatically have improved too.
Originally it was about Emery. He’s improved.