Worst team of the Dave Rose era?

Blah, blah, blah, blah… the stats back up my assertion. Likewise I beg to differ with what Chris said. I don’t think Emery is a lock down defender. He played tough against Brownridge in the home game vs. SCU. That is the ONLY time I have seen him make the effort required for me to say “yeah, he is improving”. It was one time and quite a while ago.

So, we will see tonight! BYU wins!

We must have a discussion about those on this board who really think BYU wins this game. Wanting them to win… No problem. Thinking that they will actually win should be grounds for not being allowed to post on this site for a week because you can’t meet a minimum level of basketball intelligence.

1 Like

Hey now…

Only down by 16 at halftime.

There is still a long shot possibility. I mean look at how improved BYU is as a team, especially Emery! :laughing:

Right on Dado. Is it the material or the coaching. Has Rose past his ceiling?

Nope. He can’t shoot the ball for us. 35% won’t beat GU. 40% may have :slight_smile: we played good defense against a couple of great players.

You missed the part where I said, “as close as”. BYU has not had a lock down guy since Jackson Emery or Abouo. Nick is our best outside defender but he is the closest thing we have. I thought it would be Guinn but he just can’t get any minutes

Guinn can’t get any minutes maybe because he’s not a lock down defender and mostly shoots air balls from 3’s :slight_smile:

LOL Most of you are lost in the prison of your own mind. This is a young inexperienced team. Selfish at times. Not one player is ready to move on to anything else. Mika is the best player on this team, but until he learns to hit that 15 footer and pass the ball when doubled and not force things that aren’t available he isn’t going anywhere. Haws has 3 years to get stronger and better defensively and maybe be ready for Europe
Emery makes terrible decisions and tries to be "the man"but he isn’t. I have no idea what Bryant is doing, but he looks to be running in mud with tunnel vision. Child’s possibly has the most upside of anyone, but who knows if he will get the coaching he needs. The bench-blah-Beo is the only one that might go somewhere, but even that is up in the air.
Enjoy the rest of the season, but it’s an unorganized mess. Gonzaga will dominate for the next few years. They actually play like a team with a purpose and a mission. When is football? Over and out -gone

1 Like

Guinn made a 3 and if I’m not mistaken, Emery shot one that hit the top of the backboard, worse than an air ball.

Wow! How many 3’s has he made all year? And in practice? He was out there for defense and made a couple of shots.
Emery is still injured and had the flu. He gave it a shot.

We are talking about this game. Keep things in context.

Look at the way Emery played in this game (2 pts. and fouled out) and then check his stats for the last several games. Are you trying to say that the reason he isn’t playing well is because he is injured now? If a player is “injured” and has the “flu” why is he even out there? and where is the so called improvement? the best result of this game is that we don’t have to keep hearing about the stupid record of consecutive games with a 3 pointer by Emery anymore.

I have my idea why Rose sticks with his “guys”. This is what happens when a coach relies too much on those chosen few instead of developing some guys that could step in and play better than an injured guy with the flu. This is just one reason why they lose games that they might otherwise win or have a better chance at winning.

It’s really too bad.

I’ll drink to that.

And this from a former referee, basketball 1A player who brags about beating a poor team, and has coached 5th graders. Rose plays the best talent. Those that work hardest in practice and on the court. When you say several games, how far back? 3 games. Yep. He was injured and sick. :wink:

Try 7 games back against San Francisco at home. That was the last good game he had and before that game it was last year against LMU in the scrambling comeback when LMU folded up like a napkin and choked away a gift from the Cougars.

Honestly, I have nothing against Nick Emery, but he hasn’t contributed much of anything this season. It is one of the primary reasons BYU is 16-8. I would have believed that his year of experience from last season would have improved him this season and that he would be a team leader. Who exactly is the leader on this team? Maybe Emery could put the name Nelson on the back of his jersey and be the gritty one.

The real problem these guys aren’t as good as they should be is the lack of accountability and problems with depth. The big 3 have played tons of minutes this season and it isn’t translating into much so far. One example of his lack of improvement is that he has the same number of turnovers as LJ Rose but only half the assists. I don’t think anyone is on the LJ Rose train for him being a big contributor this season… So I guess Nick can wait till next year.

Also, get your facts right - I officiated high school basketball for only 3 years and was doing varsity boys games. Most had to wait 5 years to even get a sniff at varsity boys officiating. I played in the “small schools” division of CIF, not 1A, and I coached 7th-9th graders in recreation league basketball. None of that matters except for you getting your facts wrong all the time. It is one of the reasons you believe Emery has improved… you aren’t getting your facts straight. :smile:

Fake facts? 3 years of Jr. High and Frosh games. Maybe you got to do some varsity because they lost a bunch of refs that year. :slight_smile:
Well, mostly 7th graders and not a real league :wink:
Back to earth… :innocent:

Not “fake”, just not accurate.

I’m always accurate. Well, I think Guinn should start and start with the 1-3-1. See if that can get us off to a faste start

You probably didn’t see the Portland game! More minutes and Guinn proving himself… What a surprise

Saw it. He played well. Now can he do that again Thursday and Saturday?