Worst team of the Dave Rose era?

He’s going to half to do it again… his last name isn’t Emery, Haws or Mika and he didn’t play at Lone Peak high school. Guinn doesn’t get a free pass for erratic play, just like Beo and others.

Those 3 have earned it. Now, you wrote “half” instead of “have.” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Earned what? What has Emery “earned” over the last 5 or 6 games? You talk about his improvement and he appears to be getting worse. They never earned anything, it was given to them at the start of the season. Everyone in the organization knew this is the way it would go. Stop talking about earning when you have no clue. It has always been about the reunion of the LP3, they hired their high school head coach for crying out loud.

You just don’t get it. The other players haven’t earned anymore time than they are getting. And it hasn’t been 6 games. All shooters go into slumps. Just like baseball hitters. Imagine baseball history without Willie Mays because he couldn’t get a hit like in his first 5 games. It during some of his slumps the manager pulled him off the field for someone if less talent. Get real… :laughing:

and apparently neither does anyone else because I am not the only one that has commented on Emery and his lack of improvement/weak performances. You are the only one that doesn’t seem to have noticed, but there is a lot you don’t notice so nothing new there.

You are right, it hasn’t been 6 games. I have copied and pasted Nick’s stats over the past SEVEN GAMES for you to see. His last good game was vs. USF 8 games ago.

So here are the last 7 with minutes played, shooting and %, 3 pointers and %, Ft’s and %, offensive defensive and total rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, fouls, turnovers and total points.

G 24 3-7 .429 2-5 .400 0-0 N/A 0 0 0 0 0 2 4 3 8
G 22 4-7 .571 2-4 .500 0-0 N/A 0 1 1 2 1 1 3 1 10
G 17 3-7 .429 2-5 .400 0-0 N/A 0 1 1 3 0 2 2 0 8
G 37 1-6 .167 1-6 .167 2-2 1.000 0 1 1 3 0 2 5 2 5
G 32 3-8 .375 1-4 .250 4-6 .667 0 3 3 2 0 0 3 3 11
G 20 1-6 .167 0-4 .000 0-0 N/A 0 2 2 1 1 1 5 0 2
G 24 1-6 .167 0-1 .000 0-0 N/A 0 2 2 1 0 0 4 1 2

He has averaged about 6.5 pts, 2 turnovers, 4 fouls, etc. a game over the last 7 games. Not a lot of production/improvement in any way, shape or form. I know you don’t do well with stats and facts and I know you struggle with what you see when you watch the games. I wish it were different, BYU is 4-3 in those 7 games and Nick’s lack of production has certainly been a reason for that. He is 8-29 on 3’s during this stretch, about 28% or something? I know he is better than this, he just hasn’t shown it lately. Sorry to give you the bad news… I’m just here to help… :fearful:

Well, here is another perspective. Prior to those 7 games, he had some big games where you and others blasted him and others of once again being selfish with hero ball. What I see is he has drastically reduced the number of shots to make the anti-hero ball crowd happy. Now, he also has been mostly playing fewer minutes except for 2 out of 7 of the games you chose.
His free throw shooting has gone down too suggesting he is purposely decided not to drive into the paint because of the anti-heroballers.
His shooting percentage was bad in 3 of the last 4 games. Which was my point. 3 games ago he was shooting well and then hurt his leg. The next game he had the flu and the last game he was trying to get back into playing condition from the injury and illness. And his minutes are around only half the games.
So, the question is, if he plays only half the games from here on in, will his numbers be poor? Most players need 30 minutes or more to be in a rythem to shoot better. The answer is going to be based on who on the bench has more talent, skill and experience than Emery. Ummm…no one.
So, thanks for proving:

1. He isn’t over shooting
  2. He’s not playing hero ball
  3. The last 4 games were affected by the injury and illness as I said.
  4. Talented players need time on the floor.
  5. Poorly interpreted stats are easily disputed and over turned.

:sunglasses:

The stats don’t need to be interpreted when they pretty much back up what we are seeing on the floor. When you are unable to acknowledge or admit the obvious it makes you look ignorant and arrogant, neither of which are qualities to be sought after.

I have not been “blasting” Emery. I simply said he hasn’t really done much the last several games and he isn’t improving. I disagreed with your opinion that he is improving. I haven’t seen it nor is it showing up in the stats columns.

Your perspective, though it may be true, is a blind folded long shot. I doubt he is shooting less to make the anti hero ball crowd happy. I doubt he is not driving to the basket for the same reason. Interesting how you say a player needs 30 minutes a game to be in a rhythm yet none of the bench players have logged minutes even close to that and you beat them up all the time about how they don’t perform.

Hypocrite much?

Rose is going to stick with the LP3 no matter what because he believes, like so many fans did, that they can replicate their high school championships in the college game and take the team to the final 4. Unfortunately these players are still VERY immature and have a lot to learn. They have great talent, but will they learn enough to do what is necessary? I don’t know.

Not everyone will get the 30 minutes a game. It boils down to the best talent and those showing the most in practice. That’s just how us coaches do it. I don’t know what referees think.

My analysis of the stats was spot on. There’s nothing to object to. Emery isn’t playing hero ball. You should be happy :slight_smile:

Hopper lost all credibility on this forum when he pronounced that BYU would beat GU. His prognostications are as accurate as his player evaluations. All of the little facts and stats, including lack of talent evaluation ability, all qualify as reasons to save our time in trying to explain things to him. He loves Emery and Haws and they can do no wrong and even when they do, he says that their play is still better than everyone else on the bench. His knowledge of the bench players is better than everyone elses and it is amazing how BYU seems to lose games with his favorite players starting and playing 35 min a game. But, hey, next year, if Mika isn’t a lottery pick, this team will make it to the Sweet 16.

No, I’m about the only one who doesn’t have Trump Derangement Syndrome on Cougar Fan that is manifesting itself into BYU basketball.
You have coached. You know why the bench players are on the bench. Yet you deny your own logic. Why?

It was so long ago and your stint as a coach was so short lived and inconsequential I just don’t understand why you keep referring to it.

There is ample evidence to indicate that you learned very little during that time because the comments you make are just so far off the mark.

Now you are claiming that Emery is improving and contributing adequately and say it is because he isn’t playing “hero ball”? That is absolutely crazy. There is no evidence or truth to any of that.

Just admit that he hasn’t played well and needs to pick it up. I’ll bet if you asked him he would say so.

Oh no… Jabari Parker just tore his ACL, out for at least a full year.

Wasn’t that long ago and 11 year coaching gives me plenty of insight you don’t have :wink: You need to be more teachable :thinking: