And here we go!’

I think we are in at NY6 bowl (hinging on if we smack SDSU). The 4.5 million question is if BYU can find a way into the playoffs.

P12 is ransacked over Covid and will be lucky to play 7 games. USC, the darling of the South is squeaking by and would get rolled by Oregon and Colo… I watched the Oregon game last night, They don’t scare me so much as WSU let them have wide open catches down field for 3 of their 5 TDs.

Indiana leads the B10 til OSU kills them next week. Wisconsin does catch my eye as they are pounding the ball down people’s throats,

The Big12 is just a MESS. The leader, OSU plays a two loss OU @ OU. That is two conferences right there that should not be even in a NY6 game. I posted the total runup on another thread but BYU is being talked about in every game played right now. They are the hot girl.

Nope, don’t need a P5 win for a NY6 game…Yes need a high profile win for the playoffs.

thawk, the last play of the first half against BSU was reminiscent of Wilson in the past: overconfident, indecisive, and selfish. That play was a complete debacle. What impressed me was the way he gathered himself at halftime and just WRECKED BSU in the second half–I think he was 10/12 for 250 yards in just over one quarter. I mean I have never, ever, EVER seen anyone do that to BSU in a half. He showed me a lot in that moment.

Sports Illustrated article a few days ago said that according to their models, this BYU team with its original schedule would have been favored by at least 5 points in every game this year and would be 8-0 right now. I judge our teams not by our competition, but by how many guys we have who will play in the NFL (including practice squads). I think this team has more NFL players than any team since the 1984-1985 group.

I agree too. This team is special. Looking at the schedule they could beat anyone on that schedule. It’s a shame the PAC-12 couldn’t figure out how to get everyone playing. Utah would have been toast this year.

According to Kalani, before he even got into the locker room the players were already talking about how they were not doing their jobs and discussing ways to adjust for the second half.

That tells me a lot about this team.

Yes, it’s sad we didn’t get to see that game. I have personal knowledge that the BYU coaching staff and athletic department staff were doing everything to keep BYU players covid free and eligible. Meanwhile, when PAC12 announced “no football,” UofU was in the news for furloughing almost the entire athletic department, leaving players doing what 20 year old kids with no oversight will do. And the result is looking like a total disaster for that program. My guess is that other PAC12 schools were doing the same thing, because their presidents didn’t want to play at all anyway. So kudos to BYU coaches and admin for getting ahead of this thing. The PAC12 only announced they were going to play after every other P5 league announced they were going to play. What that tells me is that the PAC12 presidents didn’t really want to play in the first place, and changed their tune for no other reason than image and optics–so of course the PAC12 can’t get it together.

I believe you are correct about players that are NFL caliber on the current roster. At least 3 from the OL and 1 from the DL, Wilson and perhaps 4 others have shots. As for the SI model-I don’t really place a whole lot of confidence in models. I do believe that we would have had a legitimate chance to win those games and a shot at being 8-0. Wilson is the real deal, but his success is the teams success also. The work that he put in during the off season, relates to the success he is now having. I’m looking at a potential Fiesta Bowl match-up with Oregon and a legitimate shot at winning that game, although I am probably getting ahead of myself as BYU still faces a decent San Diego State team and Oregon has to take care of business also. No I don’t believe that BYU makes the playoffs

Don’t overlook Northern Alabama. History says be prepared for ALL teams :slight_smile:

:yum:ok-but if we lose that game-get ready for the Potato Bowl

I like potatoes… Are we
Going to get another game in before SDSU? 3 weeks is too long to stay sharp.

Good question-the SDSU game will be potentially a tough game and I don’t think that much time off is a good thing

Let’s go to Alabama!

These are the current starters on our team who I think will get at least one check in the NFL:
Wilson
Allgeier
Christensen
Empey
Hoge
Romney
Rex
Tonga
I. Kaufusi
Wilcox
Warner
Bushman (injured)

If I’m right, 1/2 our starters are at least borderline NFL players–I’m not saying NFL stars, just good enough to at least make a practice squad for a week. I think in terms of sheer athleticism this is our best team since 1984-85 (a lot of those guys got paid too, and a bunch were really good NFL players).

Pretty much whom I thought were potential-I didn’t include Bushman because of his injury-but definitely an NFL prospect. Warner has the genes and Wilcox is one I’ve always liked. Rex is young as are several promising players this year so it could even be more. Without trying to jinx BYU, I believe the program is looking good for the future if they can hang on to core coaches

Nah-let them come to Provo😉

BYU will wreak SDSU by more then 3 TDs. Big chip on our shoulders, massive!
BYU could play a P12 team, Holmoe is actively looking for at least one more, but it has to be the right team.

I’m hearing BYU wants a PAC12 team in the next two weeks and multiple head coaches and ADs are on board but PAC12 commish doesn’t want the game to happen. I guess we will see.

And yes—we WRECK SDSU! Sitake will want to Make the final statement game to insure we get the NY6 game.

Larimer/Burton-
Yes, it’s exciting to see this level of talent being developed in the program! Other than Hoge, none of the names on that list were considered NFL bound out of HS. That means, hopefully, we are back to the Lavelle system - find the overlooked talent, late bloomers, versatile athletes who played out of position in HS,etc., recruit athletic OL guys and build a deep OL, and then coach them all up to reach potential no one else saw. I agree with the list except I would add a couple more who I think will at least get a hard look: Dax Milne, who I originally thought could be another Ben Cahoon-type (great hands, great routes, but not fast enough for the NFL), but he has shown surprising wheels this year, and Payton Wilgar, who has the size and athleticism and time to develop even further. BTW I read somewhere that 19 guys from that 84-85 team played in the NFL. Wow!

agree fully on Milne.

I used to tutor Leon White back in 83-84. There were guys in that program that were not academics, let’s just put it like that. hahaha

Finding those players that dominated, usually out of their natural positions is key. My BF’s son, RM had better numbers then the Batty kid out of Payson, they are grayshirting him this year. He is on track to fill that DE position, watch out now. Look for Greer in the future.