Byu beats Colorado at home

100% correct! It’s not all about sports. As Jim would say, it’s about the bigger picture :wink:

You are correct. I was thinking this info was what I remembered about Jimmer’s soph season where some of us were complaining that Jimmer and Michael Lloyd were better players than the guard who got lots of playing time took up a lot of minutes ahead of them. Ben someone …

Anyway, even with my faulty stmt, Haws and Emery are receiving 2 times more playing time than Jimmer and also more than Ainge during their freshman seasons

Burton … And lots of times coaches are fickle, prejudiced, have their favorites and are short sighted and they still have their supporters like you. If fans never knew what they were talking about, the LaDell Andersons and Roger Reeds of the world may still be coaching. Charlie Strong would have kept his job this year as would Les Miles. The problem is that coaches are always given leeway, and rightfully so, but when they do things (or don’t) that lead to performances that under-whelm or consistently produce results that don’t match up with the resources given … the people who pay the checks do get to give their opinion. The bb coaching job at BYU isn’t a church calling. Coaches are human and do make mistakes … no problem with that. But, you have to realistically look at the big picture and ask if the plan makes sense. Mika and Childs are the only ones pulling their weight fully on this team. Although some may argue that Mika isn’t fully realizing his potential by appearing to not learn from his fouling propensity. When you play a guy who is just off a mission and is light on muscle, stamina and knowledge of the system 35 to 37 minutes a game, you are asking for trouble. Emery and Haws make tons of mistakes against good teams when they are worn down and tired and sometimes when they are not tired. Giving them no competition for playing time is simply poor coaching for them, the bench, the team, the fans and the win column. The big picture of building the best team possible out of these players doesn’t include those kinds of minutes (more than Jimmer in his final two years) if you take a step back and look at the big picture. The fallacy of your stmt about people not being qualified to make observations about the program assumes that you are more qualified than they are and you should be allowed to “allow”: some people to comment and others not to…

Rose felt pressure to put Beo in the game even though Rose isn’t sold on it. He made up the excuse that Beo was hurt early on … indicating that was the reason that Beo wasn’t playing earlier. That is not true. If Beo was hurt (and that was the reason he wasn’t playing) and you were a good coach, why would you put the kid with the hurt thumb into 3 games for only 1 min per game and chance re-injuring the thumb? If you were a coach that was thinking about the big picture and the player wasn’t healthy, you wouldn’t put him into the game at all. Fact is, that Beo was only hurt for 3 games, CC, SL and Valpo. he was healthy after that. Fortunately for the team and fans, Davis got hurt which allowed Childs to get enough PT that everyone could see that he was for real, including Rose. Childs is making the case that he is actually better than Davis in his all-around game. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the year? The bottom line is that Rose is not a good talent evaluator. While he is certainly a decent coach in other areas, he struggles to see real talent and is not willing to admit it by giving PT to players who he may have misjudged in either talent or position capability. He has a history of misjudging and some people are catching onto it…either on the floor or in recruiting. I will give one big picture example: Rose has failed to evaluate talent correctly on every big man he has recruited while at BYU…except Mika. The list of bigs recruited by Rose (or not) is long and unbelievably inaccurate on talent evaluation. Rose is good on a number of fronts, evaluating talent is not one of them. That is why I want to see all the players given enough time to merit them either playing more or legitimately sitting on the bench. I have seen enough of ,Emery and Haws to know that they are better players when allowed 30 min max per game and that is better for all concerned, including the W column. If they are on fire and playing D well … no problem play them a little more. When they aren’t on fire, creating TO"s and not playing good D, they need to come out of the game. Rose isn’t willing to do that. Poor coaching in my opinion and that is what this board is all about…giving opinions and hopefully backing them up with accurate facts.

There is no one ahead of them. So, of course they get more time. And that’s a good thing for the future!

We don’t know that based on playing time. It is never a good thing for the future to limit competition for playing time. We can revisit this comment of yours in two years.

I can go along with much of what you say and some not so much. The problem with a lot of fans is they let emotion cloud there objectiveness. That is why so many like to scream at the officials, when the officials are most likely doing a decent job. But when it’s your team you view things differently. You obviously have your favorites and that’s ok, but your adjectives don’t do Haws justice. He is getting better and by the time he is a junior he may be better than Jimmer or his brother. I’m not saying it will happen but I’m objective enough to give him the possibility. You are obviously a Beo fan and I wish the kid the best he can possibly be, but as of now, in my not so expert opinion he doesn’t measure up to Haws or Emery on the potential scale and may see less time if and when Bryant is healthy. I can see what the analysts have been saying all along about certain players, but what remains to be shown is can players live up to the hype. Athletics at BYU is not separate from the church, if that were true there would not be an honor code relavent to non-mormons as well as members. Do I think Rose is perfect-far from it. Decisions in athletics teams are made by a staff. The head coach gets the heat when it doesn’t go well, but who plays is a configuration of opinions of a staff. You really think that Sitaki played Hill over the objections of Lamb and Detmer. You think Rose is playing certain players over the recommendations of his assistants? I don’t buy your story. I think Rose and his assistants did would they could to get this team ready to play their conference schedule with what players were available. Were they perfect-no. Did they make mistakes-undoubtedly. In the final analysis of Rose, you might want to revisit the program before he came to BYU. There isn’t anyone the wants to revisit that. The body of work speaks for itself. It’s OK to disagree, in the end the results will be apparent to most, except those that continually play the conspiracy card.

No, we can visit it now. Two years of improving with game time experience. No brainer. :nerd_face:

Could it be more obvious that Burton wishes I would stop posting? The art of subtlety is not one of his strong points, but evaluating the talent of BYU basketball players is so I will spend more time reading his posts and less time expressing my own opinion.

I happen to agree with thawk and I believe he knows what he is talking about. Why? because he expresses himself better than I do and he refrains from using the LP monniker when he talks about players that attended BYU junior college. I know, I know… only 30% of the team attended there and they are deserving of all the accolades, just like coach Rose is.

I’d just like to thank Burton for pointing out my faults and my lack of observational skills, particularly the possibility that there is a form of conspiracy in big money, high level sports. Not sure why I ever thought this… what with the high degree of integrity of those who are in charge and the large amount of money involved. It just isn’t possible. For that matter, the same goes for politics and big business.

I am glad that Haws, Emery and company have been able to play 30+ minutes a game, even in blowouts. It has allowed the team to gel and play really well together. I am also glad that the bench has gotten their 5 minutes as well and that Dastrup has been issued pom poms. He does a great job cheering and encouraging the stars.

I am glad that Rose has exceeded expectations and when BYU finishes third again this year I will be happy when fans continue to compare his record to what BYU had before he came here and that everyone will once again say “wait till next year”… I’m not sure why I ever wanted it to be different or better than what we have become used to in the wcc. I am fine with third place. I hope BYU can do it again, that would be great!

Thanks guys! especially to those who don’t appreciate dissenting opinion or disagreement. It is important to believe that your ideas and opinions are the right ones even when you have no objective proof… and it makes your opinion even stronger when you despise the unproveable opinion of someone else.That is the way it should be! :smile:

You are right grasshopper. Does that make you feel better? Then again, you must feel pretty good with third place finishes in the mighty west coast conference too… don’t forget those one and done ncaa games and NIT bids. Lastly, lest we forget, the coaching record speaks for itself… BYU wins a lot of games every season.

I see no reason why the starters shouldn’t be playing 40 minutes a game once the league schedule starts. Think how much better they will be, with all that experience, next year! It’s all good for the future! a promising future filled with woulda coulda shoulda is the best!

Merry Christmas Cougar Nation!

The games he didn’t play were the three games before the ones you refer to.
The timeline was
play one game
get injured in practice
not play three games
play one minute in each of the next two games.
five minutes in the next game
one minute in the following game.
Then Beo starts getting more minutes.
Beo was the first player off the bench in the first game.
It is not uncommon for a coach to not play a player so much when one is coming off an injury. Even your opinion of Rose should allow that.

Okay, Jim, then who should Rose have recruited? Since these kids will not develop past the NIT level, who are the other LDS kids that would take BYU to a higher level. You must have someone in mind.

One thing I keep meaning to add about Beo.
Yes he was a walk on.
He was a preferred walk on. Meaning unlike Guinn he was actually recruited to come. He didn’t just happen to show up.

As a sophomore in high school he got legit offers from PAC12 schools. He turned them down. I know of one PAC12 coach in particular who renewed the offer to Beo each year of his high school career.

Worth a look for a statistical take on the current team.

Harold, you are missing my point completely. If Beo was healthy enough to be put into a game after his injury, why play him only 1 min in 3 games? Makes no sense. This is not a Beo issue, it is a coaching issue. If Beo were getting 35 min a game and Haws were getting from 1 to 5 min/game I would be complaining also. Look, this team is going to be measured against the GU and StM of the world. How they perform against top teams is how the season will be judged. I am telling everyone that this season will come down to players #6 - #9 … the first four off the bench because the starters will either get in foul trouble or be having other issues on the court against the top level teams. If we don’t develop that second set of (about 5 players) to give them confidence or to find out if they have the “it” factor we will get beat when it counts. This team is not good enough to show up with Emery, Haws, Mika, Davis, and LJ and even remotely think that they can beat GU or StM by themselves. You have to have a good bench. This season will some down to 3 minutes of a game where we will be forced to have 2 bench players (maybe 3) on the floor in order to advance. At that point, we will be reminded again of Rose’s decisions to limit playing time in non league games to 1 min for players that we will depend on to pull us through a game where the entire season is riding on it. Somehow this fact escapes a lot of coaches … except the top tier coaches … like Tom Izzo, Mike K, John C, and the sleeze ball at UL. But, they get it. Even Steve Alford creates a deep bench early in the season…I don’t like him either. Look at GU’s playing time and tell me that they aren’t building a deeper bench with confidence than Rose and BYU are. This is not a Beo thing. Guinn is going to play a vital defensive role for us if we are to win some big games and advance. He may not score a pt, but he will have to be on the floor in some situations for defense only. It is obvious that Childs is a must have for the rest of the season…I could go on, but you must get my picture by now. You don’t develop other players by going over 30 min/game for anyone on this team.

Apparenty you haven’t heard of coaches putting in a player who is coming back from an injury. Only putting them in for a short time…like Rose tried with Bryant earlier this season?

And yes I used to complain about Rose’s not developing his bench…But then he went two straight years with 30 plus wins and I decided perhaps his dual focus of win during games and developing players in practice wasn’t so bad.

The biggest problems over the last few years have been the bigs…and defense which are entirely related. Rose does have to take the blame for the lack of bigs and the lack of defense.
However, the current plethora of bigs and the improving defense does indicate that Rose was not entirely unaware of the issue.
Few and Bennett for that matter have had less problems with inexperience and turnover than Rose has had. For that matter Alford down at UCLA finally is now looking like a star coach because his inexperience problems have largely been solved.
I’m pretty sure if you check the head to head Rose is up on both Bennett and Alford. Of all the coaches who play Few regularly Rose has a better record than any other. Citing Alford, Bennett, or Few hardly supports the position that Rose is a bad coach or that his development of players is lacking.

Chirp, chirp …

Originally, I think the main players were going to be, Mika, Davis, Childs, Ayres, Emery, Haws, Bryant and Rose. That is a solid 8 deep. Beo and Dastrup I’m sure were planned on getting some playing time. But, Dastrup hasn’t materialized and Shaw has come on to give some experience and aggressive play. Beo was spotty so others have been fighting for his time. Get back both Davis and Bryant by conference tournament in a solid way and we will surprise the Hawk’s naysayers :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t really have an opinion on this specific subject anymore.

Good luck and go Cougars!

Thank you again, for pointing out the things that nobody else seems to see or understand. These are the things that I have been trying to point out as well. Just a few days ago I was looking at the box scores for Gonzaga’s games and noticed that Few has at least 3 bench players (in close games) and several more (in blowout wins) that get significant minutes. By significant minutes I mean anywhere from 15-25 a game. That is one huge part of why they are always so successful. Not only does the chemistry develop amongst those 8-10 players, but each one of them is being allowed to develop his strengths, to help the team be successful, in game situations. It is a big reason why they win when it matters and why BYU doesn’t. Of all the proof that a fan might want, I challenge anyone else here to explain why BYU ALWAYS comes up short in important games, why they ALWAYS get that “deer in the headlights” look when it matters. I want reasons, not excuses.

I am just confirming what you are saying by trying to use evidentiary examples. This is not my personal opinion… :laughing:

I was at church you knucklehead…