Byu beats Colorado at home

I read this article below has some good BYU BB Christmas Gifts and one funny part at the end. Again, Merry Christmas.

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/basketball/men/byu-men-s-hoops-christmas-gifts-i-would-give-the/article_c1f0e34e-a965-58a2-be94-97c690235cf6.html

Well, good for you :innocent:

Four Mountain West regular season championships.
Sweet 16 appearances in the dance.

somehow those seasons had important games the team won.

Always is an overstatement for Rose’s teams. Fisher at SDSU was very frustrated that his teams couldn’t beat Rose’s teams in the important games.

The issue isn’t always…the issue is why not in the last few years…
The supposed Gonzaga WCC conspiracy at least deals with the question as to why in the last 5 years the Cougs have underperformed expectations and talent…however misguidedly.

Lol not a chance I want you to quit posting, if nothing else it’s great entertainment and everyone can use that! Lighten up Jim- it’s just a blog. Merry Christmas. I think 95% of what you say is well thought out and the other 5% welled you.must of been stiffed at one time

By “always” I am referring to the lack of success BYU has had since joining the wcc. We have had to temper our expectations every season. I think it is a combination of different things… lack of player development, selfish basketball, the Gonzaga golden goose factor and officiating bias that has contributed to it in one way or another.

I don’t see how that is going to change, even with the espn top 100 recruits that BYU has now. I have not seen anything this season that is any different than the past 5 years and that is what I mean by “always”.

and if nothing else it’s great entertainment…

I’m glad you enjoy it but I would hope that somebody would take it somewhat seriously once in awhile. I have been pleasantly surprised with the comments of thawk. I think he is somebody who is intelligent (like many others here) but is able to carry his observations to a higher level and explain why the things he sees make a difference. I know the rest of you don’t see it the same, but I’m telling you the guy knows what he is talking about.

That is all.

Are you related? Yeh he says some good things too, but I like almost all the posts. All of them have validity to them and maybe a few flaws. Read the post on Haws being the point guard. This is a well thought out article with visible evidence. Never meant to say anything to say you weren’t being taken seriously. I have spent a life time involved in rock climbing and martial arts. You have to try to see things the way they really are or you can end up in serious difficulty. On the other hand you can’t see things that aren’t there or you might not ever risk the assault. Your a good guy-we won’t agree on everything-but the important stuff-we are right there. Take care and let it rip!

Yes, he and I have that in common with you. Hang in there!
Bill Grant was at Church today :worried:

Harold, nice job on the Article

Kind of lays out why I have been gripping about Guinn not getting time against Hill from the IU game. It just proves my point that Coach Rose values Offense more than Defense.

Guinn and Leifson have their places on this team and should see time but Beo and Rose, the player, will be the main characters moving forward.

It is the LP3 show and it always was

This is what the coach and staff think will carry them to big things but as thawk pointed out, it will not be enough. It isn’t the way Gonzaga has ever done it yet they continue to have success at the next level.

It won’t be the team that reaches their potential because the coaching staff has gone about as far as they seem capable of going. It’s too bad…

Until this year has played out we won’t know if they’ve gone as far as they can go. Admittedly it doesn’t look promising.

Assuming BYU could recruit Matt Van Komen to anchor the center position. Things for the future would continue to look brighter than the present.

I would say the last five years, the inability to win a conference championship problems have been the bigs the defense and Mark Few.
Mark Few isn’t going anywhere.
The defense, now that Pope is gone and the bigs are improved is improving.
The bigs hole that was created by transfers and Austin refusing to shoot appears to have been filled.
Halfway out of the doldrums. still more work to be done.

Harold, actually I haven’t heard of coaches putting hand injury players into games for 1 min … 3 games worth right as the injury was getting better. That is odd coaching behavior and asking for trouble. Like I said, I don’t believe Rose wants to play Beo (or some others) but there is pressure to do so from within… And then the must win CO game happened along and his regular lineup was struggling so much he caved to the idea that Beo should play. Once Beo got on the court for more than a few minutes, despite the prior 10 games of almost no playing time, it was obvious to most everyone watching that the team could use him. The UL game should have been played with the same sub pattern as CO game, but Rose wouldn’t do that … among other anomalies. We lost. So now Rose goes back to more pt for Beo. It didn’t and doesn’t make sense. As for those two 30 win seasons being the reason that we should not develop a solid bench, I would just point out that at least one of those seasons would have resulted in a final 4 berth if Rose had developed a bench with just one player capable of producing at 70% of Davies’ level. One bench player who could have given us 1 more point or one more stop would have beaten Florida. That was a bench issue. Not developing Michael Lloyd sooner was a huge mistake. Anyway, if you look at the amount of players who quit, or transfer players (out) in the BYU program compared to GU and StM programs it is a telling stat. I say the reason is lack of bench development. …Or it might be a lack of correct talent evaluation…Either way it is on Rose.

Dew, be very very careful posting articles that decry Rose not developing his bench on this forum! Do it at you own risk…

This is a very interesting article. Does anyone know where Keith got his info? Some of the plus minus info just doesn’t match mine. But, I certainly agree with his analysis on LJ Rose. Rose is a solid backup pt guard in my opinion. He has some issues though. He dribbles to high, isn’t quick enough, passes up wide open shots too often and the biggest reason I don’t think he is effective against top teams is that he slows down the game too much for the rest of the BYU players. Haws moves the ball quicker and the pace is more to our liking(so does Beo). The one option that isn’t discussed in the Vanquish article is the option that I think would do wonders for BYU … to put Beo at the pt for half the game… Haws the other half. If Rose would let that happen for half of one game I believe we would let the Genie out of the bottle. The chemistry of Emery, Beo and Haws could be a back court nightmare for other teams. But, figuring out how LJ, Guinn and possibly Leifson enter the picture in reserve roles would be tricky.

Harold, fortunately I believe that Rose has the answer to the “5” position coming home from his mission in time for next season. The Andrus kid has potential all over him. He really came on at the end of the 2014-2015 season. I am excited to see him back. While not confirmed, I hear he has grown a bit. A true 7 ft kid with a little nastiness in him would be great to have.

Completely agree…

The issue with Haws at the pt … isn’t Haws … it is who would be able to play the 3 when he is at pt?? Guinn can do it if there is a defensive issue that he needs to be assigned to, but that will expose us if it goes on more than 15 - 18 min a game, although I would love nothing more than to find out that Guinn has just been in a slump offensively. If he could score 8 pts a game it would be huge. Maybe Leifson could play the 3 … I am not sold on him yet … he probably needs another 40 min of pt to see if he will settle down and get used to the speed of the game, which he is having issues with right now. We miss Jacob Hartsock … I think he would have really developed this year. Good size, decent quickness, could rebound, and he could shoot the ball. I question that decision by the staff every game that it is apparent that we need a 3 that has size and can shoot well from anywhere on the court. I understand the issue of LJ and Beo … and the perception that I favor Beo. Honestly, I favor the players that can win ball games now and in the future. Obviously LJ has more experience than Beo. He is a good passer too. Beo keeps the team moving more on offense in terms of speed of the game. Beo has also shown that he rarely makes TO’s. He appears to grasp defense and help defense at least as well as LJ. Just my instinct tells me that with four years of Beo and only this year with LJ … if it is a close call … advantage should go to Beo … at least until he proves himself incapable of doing the job. When Beo and Haws are on the court together it is almost like we have two point guards … and the number of easy buckets goes up dramatically for them as well as the others on the court. I just want to see this combo for 10 min in a game for a few games in a row and I think that will tell us what we need to know. I believe this Haws, Beo and Emery combo is what made the Colorado game feel completely different to most of us from a chemistry standpoint. It isn’t that LJ is not a good player…it is a chemistry thing…I think!!!

My mistake and I mean no respect to our team. Just hope we start seeing our team gel really soon. Thanks for the advise.
That MC Annex look really nice to have.

You and I are very much in agreement when it comes to Beo and what he means to a “deadly” three guard group. I, however; think that Rose and his unselfish play at the point is essential to our team and it does not hurt one bit to slow the game down and play in/out game when Mika and Childs are in there.

I firmly think that you play your starters as many minutes as they can handle just so that they are used to each others game. It really is too bad that Bryant has been unable to play and get used to these LP3 guys.

Interesting, because Mark Few doesn’t do that. He has 8-10 players that see significant minutes every game and it seems to be a recipe for success because his teams just continue to win games and make it to the post season where they generally are very competitive.

Also, I think there is a very good chance that Gonzaga finishes the season undefeated. If you combine the lack of competition in the west coast conference with the favoritism they get, it will take a monumental effort on their part to lose a game the rest of the way.