BYU vs. Gonzaga... nothing new to talk about

Oh come now. Irrational reasoning. Getting carried away a bit :slight_smile:

I have to agree on the plateauing.
I donā€™t see the coastingā€¦failures yesā€¦coasting no.

A coach who is not trying does not fire coaches bring in new ones. tell players to leave who have plans that clearly do not fit in with the coachā€™sā€¦

He has not adjusted well to the modern Div1 bball culture of players constantly moving.
Though his players are leaving at marginally less than national averages, or at least last time I looked last spring, it doesnā€™t mean he does not have room for improvement in many areas.

Room for improvementā€¦does not mean heā€™s average or close to average. Coachā€™s careers have ups and downs. I do think he hasnā€™t figured out what to change about himself and his coachingā€¦

I was with you until your last paragraph. If he fired coaches and brought on new ones with a different scheme he obviously knows what he wants and the changes he was looking for. Itā€™s too bad he did that change before losing a couple of players that would have be good fits to this offense and defense.

You make a lot of good points.

I would modify this slightly. I think heā€™s waffling between what he knows he needs to do and what heā€™s done in the past. I liked a lot of what I saw this year when they were performing well. Just need to figure out how to respond to a team that scouts us well and how to bend the system without throwing it out.

@grasshopper [quote=ā€œgrasshopper, post:37, topic:7848ā€]
last several wide open 3ā€™s Dastrup has taken have been clunkers
[/quote]

Thatā€™s anecdotal and doesnā€™t speak to his abilities statistically

I didnā€™t say always, It happens occasionally. Nervousness can lead to a lack of focus because youā€™re thinking and not playing because youā€™re worried about getting yanked or yelled at. Some people react differently to that. Nothing right or wrong about it, it just is and you have to adapt to the player and how they learn. Some bench guys need minutes in spurts, others need them in stretches, even if itā€™s the same number of minutes.

GR: If Dastrup is looking over his shoulders he is not focused and thatā€™s on Dastrup. Dastrup is trying to make the starting line up, not the coaches.

Thatā€™s exactly what Dastrup should be thinking. But thatā€™s no excuse for Rose. These are 20 year olds weā€™re talking about here; you have to adapt to their flaws and Dastrups potential is worthy of putting in that effort.

Handling imperfect people is what college coaches do all the time. Itā€™s part of the reason Rose lets Haws have as many minutes as he does. He knows eventually, those minutes will pay out.

Nope. The reason Haws gets all the minutes is that he is the last LP3, the guy that stayed true to Roseā€™s misconceptions. He also had a Dad and a brother that played at BYU and were very good players. TJ has no leash, he does what he wants when he wants to because he knows there are no repercussions for his less than average play. Also, he has Dastrup on the team now and so whenever TJ does something wrong (which has been with regularity) he just looks at Rose and says ā€œwhat about that time Payton messed up?ā€ and all is forgiven.

Iā€™ve heard at least three of the coachā€™s say how much better TJ is this yearā€¦I think they must be on somethingā€¦Maybe you are right that they are still on the LP3 gangja. But Schroyer wasnā€™t here to smoke that so where did he get it from then?

You may be right.
I still think back to the early Cleveland time though. Rose and Cleve had plans to play like Rose eventually did. Cleveā€™s analysis said to play roughly the way they are now. They did ok.
But when Rose took off the gloves and played the way he wanted the team got to heights they couldnā€™t with the Cleve/Schroyer designed sets.

I do not think it is a surprise that Cleve gets back from his mission and less than a year later he has his two favorite assistants back together. And they are playing the Cleve way not the Rose way.

I think they are just trying to build confidence and make the long term adjustment to playing team basketball. It is taking a long time. Haws has shown he is capable at times, but he is wildly inconsistent. When he is good, he is pretty good, when he is bad, he is awful. Awful because he is totally useless if he isnā€™t the man and that has happened a lot this season. Rose looks the other way because he put himself in the position of having to.

It is hard when you have spent most of your life to this point having everyone tell you that you are so awesomeā€¦ better than your brotherā€¦ Mr. Basketball in the state of Utah, where delusion reigns. I spoke of this very thing before his mission, which event didnā€™t do much to humble him. Iā€™m sure everyone told him the same thing while he was in France. It has created a monsterā€¦

He made some great plays against Gonzaga but in the end, his visions of TJ mania went up in smoke. He is not Jimmer, none of them are, but Rose still holds on to that flamed out torch, hoping it can get the team another winā€¦ the next time.

Iā€™ll just take Hawks continued rant on LP1 with a half-grain of salt (high blood pressure). Last night was a perfect example. Dastrup started off well. But then a focus mistake. Rose didnā€™t yank him. Then another lack of focus mistake. Rose still left him in. Then a 3rd all due to lack of focus. All in a span of about a minute. Out he came. Haws makes about the same number of mistakes for the whole game.
Itā€™s all in Dastrupā€™ Head. If heā€™s afraid of making a mistake and pulled then he needs a sports psychologist.

I will say that the teamā€™s struggle is focus issues. Itā€™s like we play well for a few minutes and then a rash of team mistakes all based on lack of focus. We get up by a few points and lose focus. Sloppy passes or take bad shots.

I noticed that when we get a lead other teams step up their intensity and pressure. We donā€™t respond with greater focus and intensity. Thatā€™s when we do stupid turnovers. Our struggles are about focus.

Pouring a half-grain of saltā€¦

Waking up nowā€¦ Did Hawks have something of importance to say??? Didnā€™t think so. Yawnā€¦eating a bowl of griot loopsā€¦ Taking son to his hernia surgery, againā€¦:joy:

Dastrup makes as many mistakes in 2 minutes as Haws does the entire game. Thatā€™s the first thing. He had 3 bad focus mistakes in 60 seconds. Nice 3 point shot, finally. Iā€™m getting tired of his head games.

Hereā€™s the thing, there is no one that can just replace Haws. He has to be out there. At the 4 and 5 position you have Dastrup, Nixon and Worthington. All about the same only Nixon and Worthington donā€™t make as many mistakes as Dastrup does. Sejlass doesnā€™t belong there and could be a replacement in the rotation at the guard line. Iā€™d like to see Bergleson get more time too. Worthington is clearly the better 5 man right now.

Itā€™s clear that Dastrup did not learn and develop enough skills in high school. And heā€™s struggling to catch up. Focus is a major consideration. Next year heā€™s going to have a couple more to beat out. Itā€™s all in his head.

well said. Now to be fair, Haws has picked up his defense to the best of his ability. Haws also has changed his shooting predictability. Last night Haws hit his first 3 point attempt and then went 4 straight misses. In the 2nd half, he drove to the hoop (made come crazy good shots, actually) so he has become very methodical about his game.

But to speak to what you, Jim and I have been concerned about, Dastrup is just being mistreated by Rose. He is working his tail off out there and one mistake, he gets the hook. I hope that Rose is ā€œgroomingā€ Dastrup for big minutes next year and that is why he has been soooooo hard on Dastrup. If it is petty stuff, well then, Dastrup is gone, I know I would.

1 Like

Nice concept, had not thought about that but no. Rose is the head coach and Shroyer was brought in to fix the defense most likely by Rose. Rose calls the shots but Shroyer is truly an As. Head Coach.

thats where your wrong as usual. chatman played hard-was by far the best defensive player on the team by admission of Rose. he was relegated to a future of a lot of bench sitting because of the hype of LP3 not because of his skill set. one thing you need to do is quit trying to jam round pegs into square holes. u have some good insight but you let the never be wrong blue goggles hold you back-byu without HS would be even worse than they are-Rose is a decent coach but he has mismanaged this team since Fredette left and continues to mismanage players

Thatā€™s your assumption based on what you see and your historical experiences. Sometimes itā€™s also true that players improve with hard work while others donā€™t. We had a couple of bigs go play for UVU and got a lot better. We didnā€™t think that was possible. Perhaps Rose thinks Worthington is one of those playersnand learned from his mistakes. If Dastrup is getting agitated then maybe he wonā€™t get better anywhere. He just has to focus and not make 3 mistakes in 30 seconds.

Last night Rose waited for Dastrup to make his 3rd mistake in about a minute before yanking him. Dastrup simply loses focus. Maybe he gets tired quickly. But any coach would do the same thing.

i dont fault Worthington at all-he is working really close to his potential. Seljass made about 3 mistakes in 60 seconds, yet he continued to jack up shots and make poor decisions and get the ball jammed down his throat. dastrup shot better, garnered 3 times the boards yet he looks like a puppet on a string by getting jerked for every little error he made. its a hard way for a player to develop the confidence necessary to perform. he seems to be Roseā€™s whipping boy. we will see if he hangs around or develops like expected. chatman on the other hand-everyone one knew he was going to be good and he already was an excellent defender much like FB4 with a ton of athletic skills, but they were lost and going to be shelved with the additions of Emery and Haws and its too bad because they could have really used them right now
but they are in a better place now. i hope that Seljaas improves with time and gains the confidence to be a star, but imo he is a huge defensive liability using him like they are.

Seljass was better with the run and gun offense. He was able to set up before the defense could and get off his shot. But, with the new offense, like Haws, heā€™s taking time to adjust. The reason why he played more minutes is he came in for Haws and Worthington.
I liked Dastrup at the start. But, he didnā€™t progress like I thought he would.

Nixon is a much better option imo
Seljass is a one dimentional player at this point. Dastrup had the potential to be multi-dimentional