BYU vs. LMU decapitations, etc

I watched it with my own eyes…Rose was neck and neck with Few’s team and should have beat him for the fourth straight time but Rose just makes bad coaching decisions at critical times in important games, did not sub out Childs or Bryant at all in the 1st half and then takes them both out at the same time. In the first SMC game, we are up by 8 or 10 points and Rose puts Bergerson in…a guy none of us has seen all year. The lead evaporated. Pacific, Rose over played Childs (37 minutes) so he was gassed at the end of the game, no pop.

Coaching is not that tough when, as you point out, BYU has a number of ESPN 100 players. In fact most nights, BYU is up big on teams, say 20 points. You just sub your guys at the right times or you work on getting the bench more playing minutes so they are ready for the big stage. But what Rose does, which is maddening to me, is play the same routine whether he is up big on a bottom feeder or in a tight game. Then he takes all of his talent out at the same time, as in the Zag game and we lose our momentum. Or he’ll play Seljaas and Haws at the same time and Few just tells Perkins to rub off on a pic and get Williams on Seljaas, or do the same on Worhtington. Two times, two fouls. Too easy.

Good coaches Exploit matchups, bad coaching reacts to mismatches.

Data, widely used in the NBA, indicates you shouldn’t max out players early because they can’t reach the same level later. So they rest them carefully in the first and second quarters. You want them to max out for the first time in the last 5 minutes, if at all.

Elijah deserves to be on the court the full game but it’s reckless to play him more than 30 minutes. Substitution patterns are one of the great and underappreciated details of basketball.

This, this, this… this is why BYU can never get over the hump. It is the primary reason they lose these close games and why they are a perpetual third place team. They have the talent, the skill and the ability to be wcc champs, they can win the wcc tournament too, but this is the reason they never do and unless something changes, which doesn’t seem likely, they will continue to be where they are every year.

There are no Jimmers, you can’t just put a guy in and tell him to do his thing. It requires strategy and thought, planning and execution… on the part of the coach, to put the team in a position to win games. The talent takes this team only so far, some good coaching decisions at key points in the game would help this team win more games.

just a bit about the refs
Coach Mayberry will head up the Arizona D1 Ambassadors 15U squad this coming season. He’s worked the Arizona high school scene, the National JC Tournament in Hutchison, KS, the NBA D League, NBA Summer League, and now currently officiates in the NCAA for the West Coast Conference and the Pac 12.

Kevin Brill
Total Years in Officiating: 25 years
Conferences: Pac-12, Mountain West, WCC, WAC, Big West
Post Season:
6 NCAA Tournaments
Multiple NIT Tournaments
Multiple CBI Tournaments
Multiple CIT Tournaments
Multiple Pac-12 Tournaments
Pac-12 Tournament Championship Game
Multiple WCC Tournaments

http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2014/03/31/denvers-verne-harris-among-officials-selected-final-four/30255/

Denver resident Verne Harris is among 10 game officials selected to work the Final Four, the NCAA announced Monday.
Harris has the most Final Four experience among the group. He will officiate his seventh Final Four. Gonzaga NC was his last game last year…

You know Jim, this week finally convinced me that I have been wrong all along about believing that Rose can get teams over the hump. Rose has always lost to teams he has no business losing to. My bubble is popped

but it still does not stop me from hoping.

I believe Emery, Haws and Mika were top 100 prospects. Yet, you poopooed them right from the start. So, as they say “that is that.” :mantelpiece_clock:

Well, so here I am, alive and kicking. I’ve been keeping an eye on you guys but pretty overwhelmed the last couple months. After watching the last several games and reading (most of) these posts, I’ll chime in with this:

1. I still can’t get over Eli being clotheslined and knocked out before he hit the floor 10 feet in front of an official staring right at the play with an unimpeded view. Posters have posited that these refs are experienced and competent. If that is taken at face value, the only explanation is bias or malice against BYU. Missing that call could not be explained any other way than either total incompetence or actual bias.
  2. The nearly as egregious no call on the travel/double dribble at the end of the GU game could MAYBE be explained by saying that none of the 3 experienced, competent officials were looking at the ball, even though 6000 fans, the announcers, and the tv cameras were all focused on it. It’s a stretch, but at least they have a possible explanation. No explanation other than pure malice for the no call on Eli. I have zero respect for those guys.
  3. TJ has a great arsenal of shots, and made some really pretty midrange moves against GU, but got selfish when it mattered most. I feel bad that we see these glimpses of greatness, but .405/.342 from the floor is not the guy you want shooting very much.
  4. Gonzaga should be EMBARRASSED that they didn’t beat us by 20 with Eli obviously shaken by the clothesline he took on Thursday. BYU is a barely average college BB team this year, and I don’t see GU (or SMU doing anything in the tourney against the Big Boys).
  5. Our lack of depth makes Rose look REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad for letting Chatman and FB4 get away. I’ve never seen a team with less bench production.
  6. I still love the D our two PGs play on the ball. Jashire and Cannon are quick, strong and smart. Jashire sometimes makes some pretty bad mental lapses off the ball (like standing around while his guy missed a key 3 at GU and let the guy waltz in for the rebound), but overall the D played by both guys has changed our team.
  7. I still love our unselfishness overall. TJ sometimes goes off the rails but we have made great strides in that area.
  8. I really wish we could get into a real league and stop playing in church gyms with bitter, underpaid officials in a league where the Mandate From Above is that the guys who pay the bills (GU and SMU) need to win no matter what to keep food on the table for all the Joke programs in the league. I understand why they do it but hate having to see it happen.
1 Like

Did people really “poopoo” Mika? He was a fundamentally sound, massively athletic talent from day one, who dominated almost every post we played. It’s not his fault nobody in the NBA wants a 23 year old rookie when there are 19 year old rookies with equal size, athleticism and talent. So he took off to make a lot of money in Europe and I can’t blame him. BYU would be a tournament team with him, but I’m sure he’d had enough of playing for free in church gyms in front of terrible crowds.

An Oregon team that nearly won the NC and was hyped as a top 20 team full of 4 and 5 star prospects lost by 30 or so to 12-11 Stanford. The Ducks suffer from too much talent and not enough basketballs. They look like we did last year. They have a great coach who is struggling to figure out how to find consistency and avoid “bad losses.” It sounds familiar. No excuse to lose the games we do every year to bad teams.

I poopooed them because everyone said they would take BYU to the Elite 8 or Final 4. That is what I poopooed. I thought they were capable of winning a wcc title, I really did. But, like Chris, I should have known better. I forgot about the inability of the coach to make the proper decisions during the games, during the season, etc. to give the team the maximum opportunity to do that.

I have learned my lesson now.

You saw that too. hardnett takes on the tough assignments and has changed the culture of D at BYU but he just has mental lapses but I guess we need him more on the floor than Dastrup, who gets yanked if he has even the slightest mess up.

The question is, can Rose figure it out. I’ve been very hard on his substitutions and his lack of long term development of key players. BTW, good to hear from ya, bro.

I heard he isn’t making a lot of money. What have you heard?

There’s no reason he can’t. It’s just a mentality of stepping away from what has given you success and rethinking some of your basic philosophies. Not all coaches agree, and they’re wrong all the time. That’s why I cited the Jackson vs Kerr.

I’m not calling for his job to be clear. I just want the metric of success changed.

I’m fine with this because Rose has built a strong enough insurance policy over the years, but there is no doubt that BYU has settled into mediocrity in the wcc. It isn’t only Rose, it is the league itself that continues to promote Gonzaga and St. Mary’s as the darlings of the conference. That is a tall order to overcome.

When I can see that the officials allow BYU to play the same kind of defense that their opponents play then I will be okay with the results but honestly, I am tired of the bias year after year.

Here you go again with the conspiracies. Why not stick with what we can control. Clausewitz said it that we are tired. Well, about a month ago, we peaked because of fatigue. The coaches simply didn’t feel we could even get to 22-9 had we let others play more. It wasn’t just Rose who though this on the coaching staff. We miss Emery. He could have given Bryant and Haws the rest they have needed. Bergerson wasn’t going to be ready this year. A 2 star player and freshman? He’s coming along and will be ready next year. And, we will have others who will help. The 4 and 5 will be better next year too. We just aren’t deep enough this year, burned out and peaked.

With that said, the second season starts now and players tend to get a second wind. If that is the case, we could get 3 wins this coming WCC tournament :grin:

Hopper - You are too optimistic. I see us beating a coach-less USD in the first game then getting hammered (again) by St Mary’s. BYU hasn’t won a Conf Tournament since 2001. I highly doubt we will do it this year. I think Coach Rose has “lost” the team based on how we perform in big games.

Definition of Insanity: “Doing the same thing year after year after year and expecting a different result”.

Scott, we might beat San Diego, but don’t have much hope beyond that. Lucky to get into the NIT right now.

Too much money for the NIT to not invite us. But, don’t be surprised if there is a big change in line up to throw SM off.

I don’t think he has lost the team. Players are still happy with the coaching staff. Stock market is back up, Trump is in charge and bump sticks are history :slight_smile:

I think BYU makes the NIT and plays on the road and loses. They might not make the NIT if they stink things up against San Diego. Seven conference loses in a weak conference doesn’t look good and a first round exit in the conference tournament might keep them out of the NIT.

This is Rose’s worst year since his first year when BYU went to the NIT and lost on the road to Houston.

Personally I don’t think the depth is that bad. They have 9 players right now they could rotate in and out. Eight is about all you need. The problem is that Childs and Bryant play too many minutes.

Utah is looking like BYU’s best win this year and that was a game where Dastup got lots of minutes and made key plays. If the guy can produce in the clutch and play a big role in a high pressure rivalry game he should be getting a lot more minutes and then maybe Childs wouldn’t be burnt out. I have always been a big Rose supporter but the Dastrup situation bugs me to no end because I see a guy with a lot of talent being wasted at BYU or moving someplace else where it will be used.