BYU vs. San Diego round 3

That’s what my impression was the first time. All of a sudden we stopped attacking, we pulled up a little. Some guys did look a lot more tired. I didn’t actually look at the minutes yet. Yo played a lot.

On another note, here is a shout out to the officials in the LMU-Gonzaga game. LMU down one at halftime and giving GU fits, so the officials start the second half by calling the first six fouls against LMU, making GU comfortable and giving them a big momentum boost to start the half.

You see, this is what I despise about the wcc… always playing favorite to the little darlings of the conference, making sure they get help when necessary. Of course the officials balanced out the calls later on when the game was not in question because that is what they do.

The game just isn’t the same now that big money has come into play.

More coaching errors and lack of mental preparation and focus.

He played 40 minutes… I think that is the entire game.

I watched the game too. Those were fouls. Gonzaga has better athletes. But even with that, it was still close with 12 minutes remaining. They wore LMU down.
Look, you say we should never lose to the bottom feeders. Neither should Gonzaga even more, ya think? Gonzaga is going to the Dance. So, no reason for conspiracy. Blah, blah, blah-blah. :money_mouth_face:

If St. Mary’s wins against Pepperdine Childs has to rest. Bryant and Haws were reaching too much.

lol. yes it is. I did not look at the stats.

Firstly…Pepperdine would of beat SMC if they had covered Hermanson in the last 3 minutes. He had 3 open 3s and knocked them down. Did a fantastic job on Landale and should have won.

I did not feel good about SD going in just because of the way we defended the 3 ball. But then SD choked down the stretch and gave us the game. I had written about Piniero being the BYU killer before the game and sure as shooting, he led all scorers with 21 even after he started slow with only 4 points at the break. His foul trouble early doomed SD. That guy kills us every time. Thank goodness he is not that bright.

Wright sliced and diced BYU and any discussion about BYU making huge steps forward in the future revolves around speed. WCC guards have it and BYU does not. Speed kills baby…never forget that. Few always has it so be are banging our heads on the sharp side of a frig. until we get some speed. Carter was good as well.

A good win for BYU anyway you look at it. They had no answer for Eli…that dude is so solid, so smooth. They can’t guard him to the hoop so they flop. Hopper makes one good point every other year and his comment on ELi getting in foul trouble and having to rest him was good. Eli stayed fresh and popped them hard in the end.

Roses’ decision to not rest Yo is RETARDED. He would not have rested TJ had he not gotten in foul trouble, nor Eli. TJ and Eli both fouled out. my point here is SD is an OK playing without their head coach…SMC is coached by an expert.

If we expect Yo to defend Landale, and frankly Worthlesston will be a foul a minute, then BYU is cooked. We have to put Dastrup in and Nixon and every able body to lean on that dude. Cooked. Cooked because BYU will let Yo get into foul trouble leaving Eli to shoulder the load, He’ll drvie, they’ll flop, you all know the story. Now if we double Landale and make him pass out, If we put Eli on slow footed Hermanson and keep his 3s down. Play zone. get out on the 3s…BYU can beat these guys.

Pepperdine doubled Landale. It worked as long as the rotations moved quickly. But, when they didn’t it left open the 3’s. I’m not sure if we can react quickly enough.

Yeah, exactly. So tell me what happened this season in the wcc? I don’t want any rationalizations, just tell us all what happened. What was Gonzaga’s record and what was BYU’s? Who won the conference? How many games did Gonzaga lose to bottom feeders? Yeah… that’s what I thought.

You can rationalize and justify everything you see but that doesn’t mean anything. The bottom line is that Gonzaga was fouling just as much as LMU was and they simply weren’t called for it. There are so many nuances, little touch fouls and judgement calls that the officials have WAY TOO MUCH discretion to call a game the way they feel like calling it and nobody can say anything.

A team like Gonzaga can overcome some cruddy officiating or calls that go against them. A team like LMU can’t and that is an important reason why they lose to Gonzaga every time they play them. It isn’t enough to play a great game, which they did in the first half when the officiating was fair and balanced… so when the officiating went south at the start of the second half it was too much and they withered. They kept it close for awhile but I knew then that the game was being decided by the officials and LMU had no chance. Yes, Gonzaga is the better team but the better team can lose if a lesser team plays a great game AND gets fair officiating. The bogus make up calls late in the game against Gonzaga served only one purpose… to balance out the total number of fouls called and make it all look good.

Few whines about the lack of competition in the wcc and the other teams not stepping up but whenever they do, those teams are kept in check by officiating that favors Gonzaga. What has changed since Few went on his rant about it 2 years ago? Absolutely nothing. His team still wins every year, they still go to the dance and he is as happy as a lark. I like the guy but he shouldn’t complain about the rest of the league when his team is given special treatment year after year.

In fact, if Gonzaga ever does finish second or third and BYU were to win it one of these years, you would hear lots of whining but this time it wouldn’t be about the other teams stepping up… that isn’t what he really wants.

That is your narrow view based on your conspiracy belief. LMU’s reactions to the fouls doesn’t mean they didn’t foul and there’s a conspiracy. And, what you perceived as fouls by Gonzaga doesn’t mean they fouled. Just because there is contact doesn’t mean Gonzaga committed fouls that weren’t called. Perhaps a less slanted view would help you. Perhaps we should view and critique a game together. :lying_face:

Nah, I’m pretty sure I know what is going on out there.

It has been going on for years now so it isn’t something new.

BYU will finish third next year with an outside shot at second. Depending on how many games they lose to the weaker wcc teams, they might get a low ncaa seed but likely will get a NIT bid again. I am talking about next year.

This year is over… just another woulda, coulda, shoulda. Rose needs to shoulder a big portion of the blame for this season because BYU was gifted that third place finish this season. They certainly didn’t earn it.

Here is another one for you to chew on. Kansas won their 14th consecutive league title, even though this might be one of their worst teams in a long time. In one game vs. West Virginia they shot 35 free throws to WV’s 2. After the coach for WV said in all his years of coaching he had never been in or seen a game where his team was victimized by officiating like this one, he was reprimanded by the ncaa for making those comments.

But then again, we know what a reputable organization the ncaa is. Likewise, how could anyone go against a team with a court named after the founder of the game itself? It’s funny because after the secured the title again, just yesterday I think they got blown out by Oklahoma St., a team that may not make the ncaa tourney.

More evidence of bias and conspiracy… intended to maintain interest in the college game and reward the fans of teams that bring in lots of money to their conferences like Kansas and Gonzaga…

Don’t mistake incompetence for malice. Comparing college refs vs NBA refs clearly shows the short comings of collegiate refs. They are inconsistent and easily manipulated and tricked at least relative to the NBA.

Not that this idea would solve all the problems, but I think all collegiate refs should be hired and managed by the NCAA as opposed to conferences. That would solve a lot of perception issues and it would be much easier to maintain consistency of how the rules are enforced. Plus it would make grading refs a bit more consistent, especially if you took a professional approach to it and simply fired the bottom 10% of refs. In general, I think it’s a good idea to move away from the concept that refs are some sacred and holy entity that can’t be criticized. They are imperfect humans and if we can criticize an 18-year-old backup shooting guard then I can sure criticize a 50-year-old ref. I especially appreciate how the NBA openly grades the ref’s performance and admits errors. It’s cathartic and a good learning process. Sometimes the refs have to eat crow.

Also, instant replay should be handled by a crew off site at a central location for the NCAA and remove all bias from the situation.

Agree with these comments and ideas. The best officials are the ones who acknowledge their imperfections and try their best to rectify it and improve. It shows they are human and prone to mistakes and errors, just like all of us.

The worst refs are the ones who are prideful and won’t admit errors and mistakes. They are also the ones who are typically suspect to allowing bias and ego to get in the way. They are impeding their own progress as well.

They need to be reigned in but are allowed to do what they want because of seniority or whatever.

So, that’s why you quit refereeing :frowning:
Aren’t referees in short all the time? How could we fire 10% and have enough to go around? Maybe go back to 2 referees per game :slight_smile:

Agreed

10% is an arbitrary number. The point is to let go of the bad ones every year and hire new ones. The % could be whatever it needs to be.

Hire who? More unprepared high school referees?

Treat it like a soccer series. The bottom 10% of refs get dropped to Div 2 and the best Div 2 get pulled up to Div 1. This provides an incentive to perform at a high level and incremental training experience. D1 to D2 to D3. This seems like an easy solution to implement and would result in a superior performance from referees. No one gets fired, they just move down or up.

It is a clear incentive to be better and a clean mechanism for getting rid of anyone who is not suited for the job. There’s nothing sacred about being a ref. Do a good job or get out.

Like any pyramid, you have to have enough new blood coming in to keep the pyramid standing upright. The question is, do the referees?

I agree with you GH. Two refs and no pro-ST. ZAGA officials. The WCC is a joke. BYU played their best game of the year against SMC in Vegas. It is very difficult to beat 5 on 8 all the times, especially in the incompetent WCC.

The loss wasn’t the officials fault. The Zags simply didn’t shoot as poorly as we did. Our shooting percentage was horrible. Our offense rebounding was non-existent. Turnovers was low again but because of poor shooting our assist numbers were low.

Worthington played good defense. I watched him on replay and he did well defensively. But, he gave us no offense. Dastrup gets lost on defense but could have really helped during the time we stopped making baskets. Bryant and Haws just ran out of gas.