Grimes is leaving for Baylor

Disagree… the teams Lavel coached against weren’t any better. Defense was great then and now.

It was the BYU defense who couldn’t get off the field for 38 minutes against CC. The offense didn’t have anything to do with that. It wasn’t like CC was running a fast paced offense … this defense wasn’t really a top 5 defense.

What was CC’s average points this year? We cut that down in more than half, didn’t we? Offense dropped passes and misses blocking assignments. Offense lost the game. Didn’t keep drives going longer. Stalled in the red zone.

Coach DC Tu(spell?), He should be hired from P5 anytime soon. Top five defenses in the country he should’ve been hired any best team in the country or even in the NFL should He?

1 Like

Maybe! Another good year and he may leave as well. Who knows if he hasn’t been asked. Do you know? No… Maybe he likes it at BYU and doesn’t want to leave the area? But, you do see a lot of NFL teams using the same defense.

Dew good point! Yes, Grimes recruited away but our DC will stay put! No P5 will hire him.

Don’t make me laugh hopper seriously?

1 Like

Ha Hah Hah Hah and you saw my comment above to
Hopper of what he said what he believe that I don’t have a clue what he believes.

1 Like

Didn’t think you really know…

CC defense cut our offensive points down by more than half. Our defense also cut down our offensive TOP down from its average.

Our defense didn’t cut anything down. We made too many mistakes because we didn’t have time to put together a game plan. Our defense cut in half CC’s offense.

I think he loves it at BYU because he knows that his head coach will cover for him and do his job when needed. At another good program he would be fired. Anytime you allow the opponent to hold the ball for 38 minutes and only score 22 points … you know that you were run to death. Couple that with the fact that CC didn’t have hardly any plays over 12 yards and the passing game was terrible and the whole story gets a new look … as in a terrible DC job!

Actually I am surprised that Grimes didn’t take Tuiaki with him. Tuiaki gets paid almost nothing and he would be a steal for a good program. Good coaches will get lured away from the Y but bad ones won’t. That was a big part of the program taking a hit the last 5 years under LaVell! He had a build up of 5-6 coaches who weren’t that good and he wouldn’t get rid of them. His great assistant coaches had moved onward and upward over the years. Tui will be a BYU lifer if Sitake stays as head coach.

Well, to keep things in perspective, Grimes’ offense was 7-6 and 7-6 before this year. Conspiracy theory allows that ARod started calling the plays last year against Boise St. so shall we say 7-6 and 2-4? For those who never took a math class at BYU, that’s 9-10 record as the play caller. You can compare that to the 13-13 of his predecessor if you like…with ARod calling the plays “we” were 5-2 last year and and 11-1 this year so 16-3. I think that’ll do just fine. ,/ Go Cougs ,/

Welcome deibu. This is a great board. OK, I actually wouldn’t know, because it’s the only board I read and the only place I’ve ever posted a message (I don’t have any social media so I rely on these guys for the pulse of society, for better or worse :slight_smile:).

Anyway, Arod was a great hire! Well done by Kalani and TH to act fast and not lose him. We always knew Grimes was quality but that he wouldn’t stay because he wanted to be a HC and could not ever do that at BYU.

We have some position coaches who really have done great jobs recruiting and developing the guys in their groups:
Jernaro and Hadley (DBs): check
Arod (QB): check
Mateos (OL): check
Fesi (WR): check
Clark (TE): double check
Unga (RB): CHECK with a gold star! Why? Because I’ve been screaming for 3 years that Allgeier has NFL size, speed, and talent, but somehow they jacked him around for two years before Unga got the job and was apparently the first BYU coach to realize that potentially one of the 10 best RB to ever play at BYU was not starting and getting the rock.

Our offense looks to be in pretty good hands now, despite the loss of Grimes. The guys I know who know Grimes have NOTHING BUT GREAT THINGS to say about him. Godspeed Grimey, BYU will miss you.

All this is accurate. Grimes probably has a little of Wilson’s good fortune and when the gettin was good … he and Wilson got out. We will see what Father Time says about Grimes and his ability to get the Baylor offense going and we will also see what Wilson can do against NFL defenses or practice squads. It will be interesting.

1 Like

I’m with you on this one Hawk. Tuiaki’s scheme doesn’t work in college football. A few NFL teams (Saints for example) can get consistent pressure rushing 4, but that’s with All-Pro caliber DEs (Hendrickson and Jordan). NFL teams hardly EVER rush only 3 outside of extreme down and distance situations. BYU doesn’t have that kind of talent on the D line–Tonga is awesome and Dawe is good, but neither is anywhere close to an elite pass rusher, and that’s it on our DL. So Tuiaki brings 3 or maybe 4 guys on first and second down, drops the 'backers into coverage, never uses run blitzes, and any good team can control the ball and the game, either with short passes (Hawaii in the bowl game last year, Houston first half this year) or on the ground. Even UCF ran for 200 yards against us. Tuiaki’s scheme works great against these garbage teams that don’t belong on the same field as BYU but it just fails to stop the run or short passing against better than average teams.

But my biggest complaint is that Tuiaki’s scheme ruins the fun of watching the games. I don’t want to see BYU’s opponent on a 15 play, 7 minute, 85 yard drive, converting third down after third down, and that happens way too much.

1 Like

In your dreams Scott, He is mediocre at best as a coach… And to prove it, “Who took over DC calling plays during the game”? Hint: It was not the DC, it was Kalani… Which makes me wonder about his ability because he never really did anything at OSU either, only at Utah where KWhitt was, was he a good DC.

That was true at the end of his career… Schmidt was a horrible DC, Chow was good, but he rubbed the administration wrong…

But eariler, Holgren, Scovil, Belichick, Reid, etc… were all great coaches that went to the NFL or other colleges to be HC.

Welcome deibu! I see you think with logic and not emotion. We will get along just fine :sunglasses: