How to Avoid the NIT

Yep, same answer as the previous one I gave… when a coach focuses on one or two players to carry the team, they end up losing games like the SMC and the Pacific ones. There will be more… so a third place finish is not a given. This team may end up 4th after San Diego.

Same comments that you make every season. If BYU could make layups… or free throws… or short 3 to 5 foot shots… they would win those games.

Sorry, that just doesn’t cut it. There is a lot more to this pattern we watch season after season. It is a routine that has become too familiar.

Sejlass can play the 2,3 and 4. So, of course he will get more chances to play. Are you suggesting Dastrup should play more of Childs time?
The only other possibility is Worthington’s spot and Worthington has been outplaying Dastrup lately.
The problem here is who has coached basketball other than youth basketball or Jr. High girls ball? Maybe you should pay more attention to what I have to say. I haven’t ever been wrong yet :slight_smile:

But, those are accurate assessments every season. Dastrup hasn’t shown any consistency and it isn’t because of playing time. He’s obviously not producing in practice either. Playing time early on won’t change a thing.
People point to Chatman that he’s doing good somewhere else. He didn’t get any better shot there. He had to produce in practice before getting playing time on the court. Had he stayed at BYU he would have been playing a lot now too.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, if Dastrup, blah, blah, blah, those refs, blah blah blah blah…
:sunglasses:

Everything you say here is wrong… everything.

You are one of those fans that is completely satisfied with 3rd, 4th and even 5th place finishes. You complain about crackerbox gyms yet say nothing about the same results year after year. You drank the juice while you were in Provo and never snapped out of it. You have this delusional idea that BYU is the best team out there whether they win or lose.

It’s true and there certainly is a place for those kinds or fans, BYU has lots of them. I don’t think it is enough being a church school. I believe they need to win games and beat sub par teams to be considered the best. A team needs to finish first in league or win the tournament or go to the ncaa tournament and actually win a game before they can be considered the best.

Just a different perspective I guess.

Yeah, he has been doing so much with his “chances”…

Okay, so lets just go with Worthington and forget Dastrup. That will make the team better, LOL.

Really an irrelevant statement. It is meaningless… for someone who has all the answers, you obviously don’t know what it takes for BYU to be a winning team in the lowly wcc.

It’s better than 6th, 7th and 8th place based on your assumptions. Your way would cause dissension on the team and an ugly seen. I know. I coached 10 years and tried your way 1 of those 10 years. Learned my lesson.

Dastrup can’t play the 2 or 3 position because of defense. The only place is 4 and 5. I’ll stick with Childs and unless Dastrup is consistently better than Worthington then Worthington gets the most time.

This isn’t VYBA basketball or elementary school where everyone gets to play and equal time.

Exactly… it is D-1 college basketball and BYU is in 5th place right now. I know you are happy with that because you have no answers for what ails this team. It is the same thing that hurts them every season since joining the wcc. They simply can’t bring themselves to the point they need to as a team unit. They don’t know how to play team ball because they don’t have a coach that knows how to coach team ball. All of the things you mention and the excuses you make are just that… excuses and not solutions to getting the team where they need to be to actually win the conference.

They get owned by an average UT Arlington team at the MC… that just shouldn’t happen. They lose to an average Alabama team… They give away a sure win to Saint Mary’s, a team that has owned BYU recently… that shouldn’t happen. They lose to a bottom feeding Pacific team that is 7-10 with losses to SMC by 20 and Gonzaga by 30… that shouldn’t happen.

I’m sorry that these kinds of performances aren’t acceptable to me as a fan… no, I’m not sorry.

I don’t think you know what team basketball is then. Do you think Georgia or Alabama weren’t playing team football? Explain why Georgia lost?

BYU has been in every game this season because they have been playing team ball. Had they not without Mika they would have a losing record. They completely have re-done the offense and defense. The players have bought into playing as a team and it shows. There’s only one player at this point that looks like he could go to the NBA. That’s Bryant. Childs has a lot of work to do so that he is consistent on both offense and defense. However, both need to stay for their senior years. Bryant should have taken that layup over Landale. By next year he will. But, just the passing it out shows he’s thinking about winning more than himself. Too much.

This is the first year they have tried this. Give it a chance.

Georgia lost because they couldn’t stop the passing game. They did great vs. the run but failed stopping the poly QB and his passing.

BYU has not been in every game. They were owned by mediocre UTA on their home floor and they lost to Alabama easily. They haven’t played many good teams and actually beaten them. That is a concern.

Why do fans always have to start talking about BYU players and whether they are “ready for the nba”? Who cares? I just don’t get that. Who gives a crap about the stupid nba?

Lastly, here you go again talking about next year. What do you mean by this is the first year they have tried this? Tried what? Haws stats are down, same with Seljaas, Worthington is an average college player and Hardnett is too. Business as usual.

Georgia lost because the went conservative in the second half. The coach is to blame. Should have let Fromm win it for them.

not disagreeing, but i would say you are both right😉

You don’t see the difference with the offense and the defense? New coach orchestrating much of this?

The rest of your post is simple denial that I’m right :slight_smile:

I’m not sure a top 25 Alabama team is average or that UT-A is close to average as well.
Not good losses but wins would have been better than average.

The team is 5th place WCC having lost one game in overtime to the preseason favorite and the other loss because of a basket going in a shade too late.

Albeit the team was ahead most of the game in both situations and should not have let the other teams in the game.

Better player time on the court mangement and depth to allow for a bit more leeway would have helped.

The team is not improving enough to challenge for the conference regular season championship.
The slower speed on offence is what kept the games close enough that the other teams runs made the difference at the end.
If BYU was playing their current defence with the traditional Rose offence they would be undefeated right now…I love the NIT.

Well Alabama may have been ranked but no more… and since the BYU win they have had some close wins against weak teams and some big losses against decent teams so they are making their case to be considered pretty average, just like UTA.

I think it just paints the picture that we sort of see play out every season. BYU has no signature wins and many of the teams they lose to end up being very average. So where does that leave the Cougars? I would say they are a very average team, mediocre, blah blah blah, sort of like grasshopper’s posts.

When you are losing to teams like Pacific, the OT losses to SMC just don’t mean much. So many missed opportunities and lack of the mental fortitude necessary to take advantage of those opportunities and turn them into quality wins year in and year out is a sign that something is wrong.

Just sayin’…

Okay, so there is a “difference”. I would be excited about it if it were showing up in the win/loss column or if there was one game where we could say “yeah, the defense was the “difference”: in that win or the development of a certain player was the “difference” in that signature win”.

I guess we will just have to wait until next year… right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yep! Haws, Sejlass and Dastrup are having difficulty getting comfortable with it. Rome wasn’t built in a day. It took a year :rofl:

As if you even know what “it” is… :fearful:

Most of these guys have been playing basketball for at least 15 years. It shouldn’t take a year to figure out how to play a defense… or an offense… or the game of basketball for that matter.