USF is a formidable opponent

How much could we use the Harrsock kid, who at 6’8” could shoot the lights out??? Noah said his brother was a better player than he was and then Rose disallusioned the kid and ran him off. Same year he wouldn’t recruit the Toolson kid and pushed the other Jake Toolson kid out the door and over to UVU Made way for Emery!

List is long and punishing for Rose and his follies!!

Better officials in another league like the American Athletic Conference.

Time to move on over to AAC. Sick of wcc. Boise State should join us to form the AAC West
BYU, Boise State, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane & Memphis.
AAC East
Navy, UCF, South Florida, UConn, East Carolina, Cincinatti & Temple

When I see BYU get the beat down from a top tier team like Gonzaga, I look at Rose and his love for Mr Basketball types. He has been a sucker for these kids that can fill the basket but have never had to play two way basketball.
What has he got on the current team in the way of Mr BBall types? 5? Haws, Emery, Harding, Wade, and I think Seljaas. What do they all have in common? Not a single one can stay in front of their man. Emery, BYU’s so called defensive minded player, spent most of his time planted on his butt while Norvell Jr. broke his ankles.

If you are going to recruit these types of players then you better have athletes and speed on your team…BYU has none of these.

I think we lost contact with Gonzaga in the 2nd half due to fatigue and we had no one on the bench ready for that kind of team. I think it was part of the reason for the SF loss too. Most of our players are too weak and we have talked about the bean poles like Haws. The SF and GA players have well defined muscle with 6 pack abs. If we could get our kids to buff up more that would help late into the season.

Just another aspect of a program that has become lazy and won’t do what is necessary to improve. There are lots of other things that are indicative of a program that is not improving or taking the game seriously. BYU is going through the motions and not much more.

Rose is in the mode of trying to do just enough to be a decent team that wins 20 games every year. He will barely make it this season. That is why so many posters here, who have inside access and know basketball, are calling for improvement or a change in coaching. This is not a one year issue. This has been a pattern for many years now. Something has to give… or change.

Childs hasn’t bulked up either. Baxter has talent but is a pole too compared to Gonzaga and SF players. Imagine his dominance with more muscle. He still needs a midrange game. All his points are off of dunks.

11 out of 15 players are from Utah and Idaho. The other 4 are two I never heard of, Worthington who doesn’t belong on a D1 team and Hardnett, who is gone for all intents and purposes. I didn’t even see Hardnett on the bench in last nights game.

So is it any wonder with the lazy recruiting, the slow, lethargic development of players because they “aren’t ready” and the lack of an offensive game plan combined with horrible team defense… is it any wonder that the current team is not very good?

Not sure why you think that. Baxter is a local kid. So was Childs and Haws. What’s your beef with Utah kids? You are losing it my friend :slight_smile:

Wake up. The point was the lazy effort at recruiting and weighing down the team with players from a small geographical area. When Ventura College was a force in the Juco ranks of basketball, where did their players come from? Were they all from Ventura county and Santa Barbara county? NO! They were getting kids from all over the place. It was a stinking junior college program and they recruited better than BYU does!

Why can’t you get past these comprehension problems? Has it always been this way? Why don’t you understand what the rest of us post?

Not sure why you think Rose is only recruiting from Utah? How do you know he’s not recruiting from other states?

I don’t know if it is “lazy” recruiting or not, what I do know is that BYU admission has made it impossible for a lot of Juco players transferring to BYU. In fact, last fall, they had a football player who had graduated from his college (don’t remember the school) and was denied admissions because BYU Masters program did not think the the player meet their admission standards.

So what do the coaches do when BYU itself is putting hurdles in the way for recruiting players outside of Utah?

That is my question: We all want better talent, but most of the time, the better talent does not mean they can meet the academic standards… There was a article about the number of kids lost to BYU because they could not meet the academic standards, they were talented players, just not in the classroom.

The answer is to enlarge the school. The reason for the increased standards is to limit the number of applicants wanting to go to BYU. It’s not just members who want to attend in this evil time period we live in. Non-members want to send their kids to a school with our values as well. One way to limit the numbers is to increase the standards. So, enlarge the school.
Does BYU still own the property north of the school? Just saying…

BYU bought a property west of Zion Bank that use to be Provo H.S.

I think that the education standards can be accomplished with the logical use of BYU-I. Let’s have BYU-I become the school to have the sports and a more well rounded student body. BYU P can’t fill the stands in football or basketball with their super competitive kind of geeky student body. No one has problems getting into BYU-I and they certainly have the acres to expand the school to 80,000 students.

The Dave Rose era is filled with lazy recruiting. If you couldn’t see the names … and the schools weren’t identified… but you just looked at the rosters … one would think St Mary’s and GU were more likely BYU just based on where they get recruits from. You see hords of foreign players at those schools and even other WCC schools … it is like they have the church platform to expand their reach and BYU doesn’t! Come on, Rose is simply allowed to milk the system with no standards or expectations in recruiting or work ethic. Schedule easy teams in non conference to build his 20 win seasons and even then lose to some of them. The WCC helps get to the 20 wins with its bottom feeder teams. Rose is an average coach with a school who attracts players who
Want to play at BYU. He is lucky to have this job.

Nonsense! Reverse that. Make BYU - I the harder standard school. That way, a new stadium doesn’t have to be rebuilt. Use that savings to feed the poor. Moving the sports programs to Idaho. Good grief???

Who is it that got that skinny Haws kid to be the player coaches now need to stop and can’t? He’s a great coach with average players who want to be at BYU. Just like the football team no matter who’s coaching. Every so often we get a kid who is really good. Yet, we keep winning.
Now, how to get those Fredette kids to come like a Frank Jackson. We will have to pay them like Duke probably does.

Duke, as a school, is not a lot different than BYU. What is different is the expertise of their bb coaches and staff. Mike or Dave … who is going to prepare you better for the NBA?? Rose isn’t even in the same zip code as the top coaches in NCAA’s.

1 Like

You might be right … I don’t care which campus they chose for sports but they have to separate the student body techs who are not well rounded from the more normal students who will leave the library and study halls for entertainment!