Well we have might have a new guard

Jimmer at 7? I would guess this is a “in no particular order” kind of list.
Childs would be in my top 10.
Shawn Bradley has to be there.

I think he upset to many fans by bailing after one year.

I thought about Greg Kite and Travis Hansen, Fred Roberts too should be in the conversation.

If Bradley had been a Coug for more than a year, I think he would have made the list.
I thought seriously about creating a list of who had the greatest single years as a Cougar; Shawn Bradley would certainly have been near the top of that list even though it was only his freshman year.

If the list was for most hyped player in BYU bball history, then Jimmer would have been number 1 on the list. Sometime during this Covid thing Rose was interviewed. His explanation as to why Jimmer did so much scoring, at which he was admittedly really, really good, was that Rose had no one else on the team he on whom he could consistently rely to put the ball in the bucket. If the team had better scorers then Jimmer would have scored less and would have had less hype.

I assume this is the statement you are referring to. “40” verticals for white men is great. I had a 38” vertical leap. But, for black’s, great is 48” vertical leaps.”
I see nothing racist in it. If anything it’s a complement. Actually, the record is 63.5.” And it wasn’t by a white person. So what? It’s simple fact. You can look at any record book like Guinness. In basketball, it’s about 48.” People talk about Michael Jordan. But, I remember Gus Johnson who could touch the top of the backboard. Wilt could also. Some say he had a 55” vertical leap. Now, how high was Mel Counts?
This is a perfect example of a statement complementing the abilities of blacks, using political correctness to turn it into a racial argument.

Please explain why you think the alledged statement was racist? Be specific as well.

I don’t think “hype” is an accurate description for what Jimmer accomplished. Interesting that Rose thought he had no other scorers because apparently other teams didn’t see that or they would have done more to stop him. I remember Jimmer vs. Kawhi Leonard in a nationally televised game on CBS when both teams were top 10 in the nation. Jimmer dominated that game. Not sure how that is “hype”… more like reality. So it is easy to say woulda, coulda shoulda but the bottom line is Jimmer was an incredible college player who lived up to whatever hype people want to claim there was. The fact that he never made it in the nba and why is up for discussion, but there is no doubt he proved himself at BYU.

Watch this… BYU had plenty of other players and scorers. NBA defensive POY couldn’t stop him, LOL Jimmer was just that great.

Up for discussion? Not here. That would be racist :thinking:

Guess McClung chose Texas Tech… To bad BYU basketball could have used him:

Guess he decided he didn’t want to win a national championship :sneezing_face:

I am surprised that Rose would say nobody else could score on that team. Jackson Emery could score and was a good 3 point shooter, Noah Hartsock had a really good mid range to 3 point jumper, and Brandon Davies could score inside before he was suspended. You don’t beat a top 10 team twice by double digits with just one allegedly over-hyped gunner. The 2nd San Diego St. game in San Diego Jimmer had 25 points in that game. If you go on ESPN and look at the box score in that game Jimmer had 25, Abuou 18, Hartsock 15, and Emery 13. That’s good balance and shows that there were other guys who could score. Davies didn’t score much in that game but he was in double figures most of the time.

I’ve missed your voice of reason and objective, honest opinions that by the way, I happen to agree with without exception.

Any ideas or opinions on the current events going on around us?

I am curious to know what you think.

I thought because of the focus on Jimmer, that helped both Davies and Emery shoot more open shots…
Davies was our inside presence and played extremely well (up to the time he was suspended). If we had Davies during the tournament run that year, who knows how far we could have gone.

He did not say no one else could score. Rose’s comments were about consistency. When the scoring had to get done. Rose could count on Jimmer to get it done. The other players on the team did not have that same attribute. They could and did score, but not with the consistency that would have created the number of wins the team earned.

My impression was that this was a bit of hindsight. After Jimmer he had two really good guards, well more than that, but Carlino and Fischer both ran hot and cold. Jimmer was always hot when Rose needed the heat.

Have Jimmer and Carlino met on the court in Europe? I don’t follow Carlino much but my impression is that he spends much more time in the G League than in Europe.

The two great could-a-beens in BYU Basketball history: Davies and Covid.
With Davies the OT against Florida would have been a very different game. How would the team have done against Butler that year? Butler played for the title…what could have been.
Without Covid a hungry coach, Pope, and hungry senior players, with Childs on relatively fresh legs, and with Nixon back after a rest, and AB with a broken wrist…Yoeli, TJ, and Toolson would have had a run but how deep…

I’m still confused as to how all of this discussion equates to Jimmer being hyped. There are a number of different definitions or possible explanations for saying something or someone is “hyped”. I just don’t see one that fits Jimmer. Any hype was earned and deserved. He is honestly one of the most down to earth and real people I can remember. When was Jimmer ever not a completely humble gentleman?

Now you see how Harold drifts with things to the extreme. Quickly too!

Two things…

1. Jimmer hype in college was his ability to shoot from just about anywhere on the floor (including half court) and making it. That is why they started using the phrase “Jimmermania”. Which was used as a hype tool to get people to come and watch (Talking March Madness here).
  2. Jimmer was hyped in the NBA because of what he did in College. Unfortunately, he never lived up to the hype and ended up being out of the league within a short few years.

Not taking anything away from Jimmer college days, I know the press really loved him and it bugged the crap out of Kawai Leonard at SDSU.

The coaches didn’t care for his defense and height liability in the NBA. But, since when do they play much defense anymore in the NBA? Had they played him more he would have looked better with time. Others think there was a conspiracy because he was A member of the Church and our past history.

Maybe, maybe not. What are you referring to by “past history”? Regardless, I’m not ready to agree with the conspiracy idea as the reason he isn’t in the league but it wouldn’t surprise me. There is one thing I would like to add and that is this. I don’t know if there are really any current nba players that fit the model of who and what Jimmer is. I’m not sure the nba wants players like him (not ability wise) who have integrity and values, it certainly isn’t a requirement. It seems like it is a league made up of many players of questionable character and moral values. Many of the players have gang affiliations, criminal backgrounds, multiple kids from multiple women, etc.

Does a player like Jimmer really fit in a league like this?

Danny Ainge is a Stake President and President of the Boston Celtics. There are many others of good character when it comes to those issues you mentioned. They don’t get the publicity because they aren’t usually the stars. Why didn’t Ainge bring Jimmer to the Celtics. That’s always been a head scratcher for me.

Danny Ainge is not a current PLAYER. I was talking about PLAYERS in the nba, not general managers/presidents of basketball operations. Ainge responsibility is making the Celtics a winning franchise. He has the NBA on his side so his job isn’t as difficult as those of less favored franchises.

Bringing Jimmer to the Celtics would have been too disruptive to what he was trying to do. Claims of favoritism among other things (no tattoos, no checkered past, etc.) would have distracted from his goals of creating a winning franchise.

There are a few but once again I am talking about players. Was your guy Kobe Bryant a person of high moral character? He did a lot of good things before his untimely death but…

How many players fit into a grouping with a guy like Jimmer?